Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FRUIT COCKTAIL-FSC

FRUIT COCKTAIL-FSC
September 10, 2011 02:00AM
Hi Guys,

This week I took some days off the office and on Wednesday found a break to visit the range. This time I had something different in my mind. My plan was to shoot at some fruits at 100 yards using the PH 8mm.

I did bring with me a variety of fruits like for example: an apple, a lemon, a kiwi and some grapes. Yep, you read it right, some grapes. Let’s see what happened…
DSC02316.JPG

The day was cloudy, very humid and the temperature was around 85 degrees but it felt like 95 degrees. Early in the morning there was no wind but as the day progressed the wind started blowing from left to right at aprox. 5 to 10 mph.

The PH was connected to the CF tank and the regulator was set at 3,500 psi. I started the session shooting some targets at 50 yards. I was using the twin tail slugs weighting 189 grains.

On this picture you will see a 5 shots group shot at 50 yds.
DSC02330.JPG

On this next picture you will see a 3 shots group shot at 50 yds.
DSC02331.JPG

Then I moved the targets to 100 yards and shot a couple of groups. On this first picture you can see a 3 shots group shot at 100 yds.
DSC02333.JPG

On this next picture you will see another 3 shots group @100 yds. Notice that 2 shots went thru the hole on the right.
DSC02334.JPG

At this point I noticed that at 100 yards using the third mildot the slugs were hitting a bit high. This scope is zeroed at 50 yds.

Another issue that I noticed during the practice time was that the regulator apparently is failing again. I say it, because after 3 or 4 shots the PH would give me a hard recoil shot compared to the rest of the shots. You get used to the recoil when everything is working properly, so a harder than usual recoil would be easy to notice. Also every time that the PH showed the stronger recoil it also showed the hammer bouncing on the firing valve and ending half cocked. Needless to say those shots never reached the same POI as the others.

In this following video you will see the PH shooting with its regular recoil at 3,500 psi:
[www.youtube.com]

On this next video you will see the PH showing the stronger recoil and pay special attention to the hammer that finished in the half cocked position:
[www.youtube.com]

A disclaimer here: the handsome guy that you just saw shooting the rifle on the past two videos was not me; he is a professional model that I contracted for this demonstration.

Now let’s start shooting some fruits. Here I realized that the camera was low on charge, so I placed it at 100 yds parallel to the fruits that were going to be shot and after setting everything and pressing the play button on the camera, I had to run to the bench to execute the shot and run back to the camera to stop the recording. My idea was to use the camera in the most efficient way in order to record the most out of the shooting session. What a workout it was… LOL

Here it goes; first in the row was the apple:
[www.youtube.com]

Following the tradition the next fruit in line was the lemon:
[www.youtube.com]

The next fruit was the kiwi:
[www.youtube.com]

On the first shot the slug only grazed the kiwi. The second shot was a more solid one but it only grazed the fruit. There was a third shot and it exploded the kiwi. The following picture will show to you the kiwi’s remainings.
DSC02336.JPG

Sadly to say, the camera ran out of juice. So from here on you will have to believe me on the rest of the story. LOL

It was the grape’s turn. Look at her so lonely waiting for her destiny…
DSC02337.JPG

On the first shot a miss, on the second shot the grape fell. I ran to check it but no, apparently the slug passed so close that knocked it out of the base, but it was a miss. I did this drill a few more times without a direct hit. Sorry, but be sure that I’ll bring some grapes on my next trip to the range to finish the unfinished business.

Here is a picture of the smashed fruits:
DSC02335.JPG

Now, very respectfully, I would like to request permission to Kent, Jerry and Tofaz to let me be part of the prestigious Fruit Smashing Club (FSC).

Julio
September 10, 2011 02:23AM
Oh, you're a member allright!
September 10, 2011 04:06AM
Hello Julio,

Nice work out there. Thanks for the post.

I'm sure you noticed that your 100 yard groups are the same size as your 50 yard groups. Therefore, we can only imagine that your MOA would keep going down and down the farther you shot. hahah.

Nice going.

Gary
September 10, 2011 09:02AM
if you get down to shooting raisins, I'm quittin...winking smiley
Anonymous User
September 10, 2011 03:24PM
Sound,s like a great game of caliber and accuracy. 58 vs 58 and small caliber too. woodsman insert vs the new 32 mag??????
September 15, 2011 05:06AM
PHWEEEEEW! You got my vote to join for sure. But man are you pushing us! I mean, GRAPES at a 100 yrds?....lol

Jerry, looks like you and i are not alone anymore in the SMALLEST FRUIT....AIRGUN SHOOT
September 15, 2011 02:56PM
He's cookin' now ... using a 189 grain 8mm slug to do it too! eye popping smiley

When the time comes that I can get him a slug about a half a thousandths bigger ... he'll be shooting raisins! haha

Gary
September 15, 2011 04:06PM
Thanks Jerry & Tofaz, I can't find words to describe my emotions right now...

The airgun hobby and the airgun hobby expectations are moving at a fast pace and I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years from now we'll be having a conversation about shooting grapes at 200 yds.LOL

Julio
September 15, 2011 05:36PM
September 15, 2011 09:16PM
Oh! sorry Gary, we'll be shooting raisins at 200 yards...why me
September 16, 2011 05:18PM
I wouldn't doubt it. I already think the airgun technology is closer to being RIGHT moreso than the pellet/slug technology. Big bores being more ideal than pellet rifles for long range cause of the ability to shoot rifle like bullets.

Looks like i need to start practicing again. AFTER BEATING JERRY SO EASILY laughing with my lemon shot, looks like there is a new kid in town
September 16, 2011 05:42PM
scared

Oh ... what you said!!!!! eye popping smiley
September 17, 2011 06:19PM
Oh it's on! fudd
September 18, 2011 01:34AM
Jerry,

Please check your PM.

Julio
September 18, 2011 02:05AM
I have another twin tail mold for you to try too, Julio. I found one that was unnumbered. From my measurement ... might be a hair bigger!

Gary
September 18, 2011 04:04AM
You know that I'll give them a try.

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 12:11PM by Julio.
September 18, 2011 04:32PM
Julio,

Looks like fun. I love reactive targets too.

What's next, vegetable medley?drinking smiley

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021