Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Please Don't tell my wife!

Please Don't tell my wife!
September 23, 2011 11:44PM
well the advantage of shooting in the basement is i can control who's down there. only one entry point so i feel it's the safest place with my rws 34. only problem..... i forgot to make sure the filler in the cardboard box hadn't settled. the results as you can see on a cheap interior door.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
September 24, 2011 12:29AM
I hope that door isn't the entry point!excited

I bet that sounded a little different, but then you said you had not shot in a while. That's probably why you didn't notice right away.

On the positive side, looks like you had a nice group, not counting that flyer.whistling

KEnt
September 24, 2011 12:39AM
not an entry door. the basement was redone back in the day when they used the cheapest materials. really didn't notice any difference in sound. i think the stray was my son.... haha
steve
September 24, 2011 03:28AM
Yeah ... ah Steve ... don't shoot the 32 Mag down there. hahaha. You'll have holes in your cinder block basement walls and/or your water heater.

For now ... you need a "splash plate" set up. Sheet metal would be best. With the top leaning forward at about 45 degrees from the base. Then hang the target so the pellet hits the plate and deflects down. Use a tray of sand at the bottom. Like a cat box size and depth. Would work well and stop em all.

Gary
September 24, 2011 04:22AM
Hi Gary, i would never consider shooting the 32 mag in the basement. ive got a friend of a friend whose got a 500 acre farm..... thanks for the tip on the splash plate. sounds like a great idea and i'll be able to collect the lead after.
steve
September 24, 2011 04:58AM
Whoops!eye popping smiley

Like Forest said, "It happens".

Lon
September 26, 2011 11:09PM
If you've got a connection in the metal-bending biz, you could have them fabricate a "snail" type backstop, like they sell at Savage Range Systems. There are also backstop systems that use chopped rubber granules recycled from tires. They can be bought at home stores, they're usually used to mulch kids playgrounds instead of bark or wood chips. That stuff might be a good material to put inside a box-style backstop, much cheaper and lighter than duct-seal, and probably less likely to build up congealed clumps of lead provided you give the box a good shake from time to time. If you slid a sheet of steel or HDPE into the back of the box, the rubber granules would keep the bounceback to a minimum. Of course, I haven't tried this myself, so it would need a bit of testing before you'd want to shoot it indoors, especially with valuables in the backstop area. One thing for sure, a couple layers of drywall isn't going to do much to slow down anything heavier than .177 diablo pellets.frown
September 28, 2011 08:59AM
a big bit of channel or i beam works well , then put a towel or three over the front , to stop bouncers.
i made a spinner target that way years ago , and its still fine , and a simple target trap as well , send me a pm and ill e mail the pics , whole thing only took half an hour , and may just fit your needs
t
September 28, 2011 11:35AM
pm sent, thanks
steve
September 29, 2011 01:24AM
You see that? We're going to help you enjoy more shooting AND keep you out of hot water ! Now, that's a forum! thumbs up
September 29, 2011 03:12AM
Right ... and since Tom's in Ireland ... Steve can just pop over and take a look at Tom's rig! target plane

laughing

It's a SMALL world ... ain't it?

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021