Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: First Fire

Anonymous User
First Fire
September 25, 2011 06:58AM
Today was a dreary wet day, the weather was against Wiley and me all the way, but for one brief period about 45 minutes the skies brightened up. The rain stopped and we were ready. A target was quickly set up at 50 yards, the Chameleon 50 was hussled out of the house and the sight in began. Gary sent along a bag of bullets and thats what we used. I didn't take the time to set the chrony because I honestly thought the bottom was going to drop out again at any minute.
I'm pleased with the first fire, and took a pic or two that I will post later, I also took some short videos using the flipcam, hopefully I can get them to play.

The first shot rang a 4 inch wide piece of steel plate I back behind the target, always a good sign!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiley was having a blast and he took most of the shots. The Chameleon really shoved him around but you can tell by grin that he didn't mind.
I have to cast some bullets tomorrow and get them sized for hopefully a dry session of shooting. Oh yea just for kicks Wiley shot one of the shot shells Gary sent along at the 50 yard target, There were several in the box and two in the paper, not bad at all!!!
I took a pic of the target and will post it tomorrow here, There were some fliers before Wiley confessed that he was holding off to make up the difference, not a bad idea but I was adjusting the scope when I filled the rifle. After we got that communication problem sorted out the next 6=7 rounds went into a nice 3-4 inch cluster. Another note is Gary didn't size these down, I tried to push one through the sizer with my finger and it wouldn't go through. Tomorrow I will cast and size some bullets to see how they perform.cc
September 25, 2011 08:05AM
Great start considering the weather. I hope you have a dry spell!
September 25, 2011 11:30AM
wow, that's awesome.... gives a good kick. can you hold that monster free of the bench??
steve
September 25, 2011 01:22PM
Hi Joe,

The only disappointing thing I see is ... you don't have even the smallest BALD SPOT!!!

Had I known that, I'd have bent the barrel a little ... laughing

Looking like a good first fire session.

Thanks for posting.

Gary
September 25, 2011 04:15PM
Hi Joe,

Nice video! Thanks for sharing this moment with us.

Julio
Anonymous User
September 25, 2011 05:46PM
Hehehe, I actually need a haircut bad Gary. I ususally go pretty much go all bald. This rifle is very nice to shoot with a lot of thump. With the no chrony I don't know the velocity of the smaller bullets but they got down range very quickly.

Watchman this is a god size rifle but it hangs out front nicely and is very easy to shoot off hand. It does have some recoil.

The little flipcam will be going with Wiley an me on hunts so hopefully we can get some good video post.

September 25, 2011 07:00PM
Hey Joe,

Yeah - all you guys with every hair you were born with, always shave your heads. The rest of us bald guys, are left with the comb overs. There's no justice - other than my 87 caliber! hahah.

Well, by this evening, you should have some fresh slugs to shoot.

Wiley is doin' a fine job showing off that gun. I'm a little worried he's gonna bust my deer before i get there .... hehehe. Tell him that "Does" are the real challange. whistling Much more tender too ... More coffee

Gary
Anonymous User
September 25, 2011 10:51PM
Don't worry Gary unless the big one just steps out there Wiley is definitely a shoot the first one I see hunter right now, hehehehe. After he kills two or three I put the breaks on him because I'm still doing most of the work.
Got some slugs cast and then the rain came again, poured buckets for about an hour. Now we're under a severe thunderstorm warning so the saga continues. On top of that my dad called and we had to call 911 for my mother. She was scheduled for knee replacement surgery tomorrow and I believe her nerves got the best of her but at 79 you don't take chances. I just got back from the hospital, they are going to keep her overnight for some test. I'll be going back shortly, ya'll keep her in your prayers.
Joe
September 26, 2011 01:06AM
Hi Joe,

Prayed for your Mom and I sure hope she does real well. I bet she'll be all fixed up for Thanksgiving. ;?)

Gary
September 26, 2011 06:07AM
Joe,

Great videos. Gun looks great.

Wiley sure is growing up fast, is he playing organized football?

Lon
September 26, 2011 05:30PM
Looking good Joe!

Hope your Mum is OK.

Regards

Neil

PS I've seen that grin that Wiley gave on the faces of other Barnes shooters just after pulling the trigger. It must be infectious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021