Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Start of materials from Gary and Jerry Range Day ...

Start of materials from Gary and Jerry Range Day ...
October 09, 2011 02:25AM
Jerry and I had a fine day both attending to some work in the shop and at the range. I corrected a couple of issues that had arisen with one of his casting molds. He then cast the mold in my shop. I mounted a scope on the HAWG 62/25 and then proceeded to do the "First Fire" testing. Jerry helped with that. I'll get the details later - sorry ... I'm beat. I recorded the materials, and didn't snap a pic of the ledger pages yet.

I do recall that it shot the Beeman Kodiak 25 caliber pellets at about 1,135 fps and the buckshot ball at 1,209 fps at about 3,000 psi. Made some pretty nice strings of level shots.

a_Hawg.jpg

Here's a pic I snapped around 1:30 this morning. I'd just finished assembling the rifle, and snapped this with my phone. Now ... at the range, I was bummed to learn that there was an assembly issue causing a barrel/moderator conflict. This messed up my shooting plans, and it was not anything I could correct at the range. These things happen. Not often ... but they are always a disappointment. Anyway ... it was a beautiful day and there was much to enjoy.

During the sight in today, I shot one group with Jerry's Woodsman with it's 32 rifled insert. I shot it with the Barnes Peppergrinder slugs. Here goes. This is not from the HAWG ... it's from Jerry's Woodsman.

a_WoodsmanPeppergrindersGary.jpg

Nice cloverleaf at 100 yards. We were getting set up to shoot some fruit. This gun still has it's orig. Bushnell 6 by 18 scope. It's a simple and tough scope that was my "go to" shop scope for years. I put it on this gun when I made it. Jerry has left it because it's sort of like the lime green vinyl seats that came in your 70 CUDA .... ;?) .... and partly because it's very accurate. It's not an easy scope to shoot though. Has no mil-dots. No level. Adjustable objective on the bell. 40 mm objective. Still, if you have a "level eye" ... it works. The gun works. The slugs work.

We have a bunch of stuff to show. This just starts tonight.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 03:25AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Start of materials from Gary and Jerry Range Day ...
October 09, 2011 02:33AM
The Peppergrinder is a Barnes 32 caliber slug from about 1998 that is 116 grains.

BTW ... the gun is unfinished and the stock is just rough. It will get a bunch of slimming and detailing, as well as a fine oil finish. Billet is all soft brushed now. I'll determine later if it stays that way, or gets another treatment.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 02:39AM by barnespneumatic.
October 09, 2011 04:33AM
Nice STARTER post GB.

What....am i supposed to be scared by that grouplaughing?

I will definitely STAY TUNED!
October 09, 2011 03:46PM
Yeah ... well ... you don't play fair. Afterall, you shoot the same gun more than once. whistling hahahh

Then, on top of it all, you have your own private million acres of amazing country and desert stocked with "reactive targets" that you don't have to reset. hot smiley Poor little bunnies and squirrels.

We have to go out and set up and entire encampment similar to Washington at Valley Forge. That takes time. It's usually dark before we get set up.

So .... there. More coffee
October 09, 2011 05:03AM
I'm bushed and headed to bed so all I can say is "where's your grape youngster?" LOL!
October 09, 2011 12:53PM
The HAWG . . . good to see it again. shooter with bench rifle

Bummed out I couldn't make it yesterday . . . what beautiful weather for anything outside, including shooting! sunny

-- Jim
October 09, 2011 02:34PM
Gary,

Nice group!

I really like that Hawg, shame you didn't get to shoot it.

It rained literally all day yesterday down here, did a little work on the man-cave. Should have the mini shop going by Christmas.

I'll check in late tonight for the pictures, high speed video and extensive write-ups.pushingarock

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021