Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: MIT machine shop instructional videos.

MIT machine shop instructional videos.
October 09, 2011 05:45PM
Guys,

For any budding machinists. You know most of us dream about making our own parts, some of us even pursue it.

I stumbled on these videos the director of the MIT machine shop made and have watched the whole series. I found them to be quite informative. Some things I knew, some things I didn't agree with( VERY little) and I learned a LOT! It's amazing how much of machining is technique.

Much more interesting than reading machinist books - although I still do/will, rather, this is an outstanding supplement IMO.

[techtv.mit.edu]

Lon
October 11, 2011 03:14AM
Have you made any parts recently?

Perhaps parts for your new condo? I've found a full machine shop to be a handy thing when fixing the most simple house project. haha. Usually have to use most of the tools I own to hang a picture.

Bought a bunch of parts to rebuild a toilet today. I'm saving the project for a special occasion. ;?)

Let us know if you are making chips.

Gary
October 11, 2011 04:09PM
Gary,

Still setting up the man-cave. I'm building a workbench out of scrap wood and should finish in the next couple of weeks, then the chips will fly.

First project will be the Crosman 22XX pistol flow-through bolt. I was stressing cutting a taper and after watching some Youtube "how to's" they should be a cinch with the cross slide.

I made a spacer to mate an old reg'ed bottle to a gun. The bottle had been sitting around for years and it was finally put into service. It was so old the O-ring in the check valve was soft and failed. I took that apart, cleaned it up, replaced it and now am able to reap the benefits of a bottle that cost a bit of change many years ago.

New/old house and work are keeping me PLENTY busy though.dig it

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021