Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: So, I got a grape... a Barbary Grape!

So, I got a grape... a Barbary Grape!
October 10, 2011 12:08AM

OK, so it took a couple ahh... warm ups and it's not a dead center hit but that's because I hate pirates and I was trying to shoot him in his good eye! As you can see, Gary decorated the grape for the occasion.

By the time we got around to shooting the fruit, it was getting late in the day and we just barely had enough light to use high speed. Hopefully, when we get to shooting raisins, we'll have more light available! footinmouth

We had a nice day starting with a great breakfast by Kelly, THANKS Kelly! Then we spent a few hours in the shop doing something really important. We adjusted casting gear and test fired a new gun! My camera was confiscated at the door by security personnel but I can report seeing a great many blued parts and guns in stages of assembly.

The Hawg with the .25 insert is a fire cracker for sure. Nice and light, shoulders easy and has serious power. It's going to be a great piece.

It took a while to get the shop stuff done and get 100% ready to go to the range forgetting only a couple crucial items but we managed. After getting my camera back and being searched by security, we were off to the farm range.

By the time we had everything set up and ready to shoot, it was a good time to eat lunch. (Thanks Kelly!) I brought the grapes! They were pretty good! Much better to eat than shoot it turns out.

Gary returns from target maintenance.
Hello from the range.jpg

I was having a hard time getting groups and it turns out I was having "cant" issues. Looking back, I think it was the tarp we hung to shade the bench. Without reference to the sky, my "level eye" was not up to par. Naturally, Gary grabs the gun and shoots a cloverleaf at 100 in about a minute...
Gary pepper group.jpg
Nice! Looks like the slugs work and I have to remember how to shoot...

So, I managed to figure out my hold and cant with Gary's help and shot the grape.

Naturally, we couldn't shoot just one fruit and we needed to try the updated mold and die for the Yukon. Good thing I had a melon handy! We just barely got to this before dark. There was no chance for high speed video but enough light for HD. Looking at the video, it is very misleading. It was dark enough that I could barely pick out the melon from the green background on the first shot (miss). Gary set up a white background and sprayed the melon orange to help with visibility. The video makes it look like it was still bright out!

Time to wrap things up...
end of day.jpg

While taking down the tarp a bunch of paint came off it. It appears the muzzle blast of the Yukon was blasting the paint of the tarp.
Tarp.jpg

Final chores.
end of day2.jpg
October 10, 2011 01:59AM
Hi Jerry & Gary,

Congratulations on your green grape hit. Why did you shot the Pirate Grape? There was a regular one on its side.
The Yukon is on a league of its own. That’s some serious power; the exploding melon video was impressive.

Thanks,

Julio
October 10, 2011 02:54AM
Hello Julio!

Hey - the other grape was the "Hostage" grape. We don't shoot the hostages grinning smiley
October 10, 2011 02:56AM
It was surprising to see the poster board that was just tacked behind the melon. The blast of melon debris turned big areas of the poster board to confetti. Tiny little pcs. all over. Really shattered it in the shock wave.
October 10, 2011 03:01AM
That's a good reason. LOL!
October 10, 2011 05:18AM
Well......it looks like i'm the last man standing to do the shot, and yes, the pressure is to much too bare. But i will have to. Very nice shot Jerry. You must be part Apache as you actually scalped the pirate grape. NOW THAT'S JUST SHOWING OFF MY FRIEND! What? Was hitting the green grape square too easy of a shot? So you just had to show off by "KNICKING" the grape and saving the "hostage" grape........Arrrrrgggghhhhh!

Also, good shooting GB. That clover leaf was a nice group. What caliber did you guys shoot the canteloupe with?
October 10, 2011 12:21PM
Hi Tofaz,

Good luck on the green grape shot. A word of advice; be careful of the angry pirate’s revenge.

Julio
October 10, 2011 02:10PM
That's right Cedric. Jerry wanted to save the Pirate for a proper trial. Hostage rescued ... quite an operation there.

The cantalope was ... let me see ... one of my early .177 I think ... More coffee .... hehehe.

His Yukon 62.

Gary
October 10, 2011 03:03PM
The Yukon sure made a mess out of that cantelope, there wasn't a piece left worth eating!

Does shooting a small cantelope at 100 yards with no magnification in the dark count as a challenge shot? laughing
October 10, 2011 03:12PM
Yes, but only if you avoid getting listeria in the process. injured

Good shooting guys . . . looks like fun.

-- Jim
October 10, 2011 04:22PM
Hi Guys,

A silly question...How did you manage to keep the grapes in that position?
October 11, 2011 03:16AM
Hi Julio,

Many years ago, I made a rack to hold a bunch of paint balls for shooting FT guns. Still had the rack. The cross bars have holes in them to socket the ball, and the bars are knife edged to glance pellets down and perhaps lessen the tendency of shaking everything off. Used to work decent for 18 FPE. Might not be good for 800+ haha.

Gary
October 11, 2011 03:29AM
Great job with the fruit puree!excited Glad you got out to shoot.

Jerry, I've never heard the excuse that the sun WASN"T in my eyes, so I missed. The tarp covered too much of the sky?, Really? Sounds like you've used that to explain a bad day at the big boy range with the helicopters in front of the brass. Just kidding, great shot on the grape and the melon.

Gary, when are you going to try for a four leaf clover?more innocent Great shooting!bowing

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 03:32AM by Cajun Justice.
October 11, 2011 05:01PM
Well guys, i failed for the 2nd time at getting the opportunity MONDAY to shoot my "GRAPE AT A 'HUNERD". Here is a WORTHY story though.

For the second time, i've had the opportunity to go to a guys house and shoot the Benjamin Rogue. He doesn't know much about airguns and one of my buddys told him to let me come over and give the Rogue a working out to see if i could find a possible solution as to why the gun doesn't group. I was given the OK. So now, i also have a friend who i am introducing into airgun. SInce i knew there would be 15 DIFFERENT airguns there including mine, i invited my buddy along. My main focus was the Rogue and introducing my buddy to the variety of airguns that are out. Needless to say, between me shooting the CRAPPY Rogue and talking to the owner and my buddy AAAANNNNND having a neighbor (100 yards away) come over all tell us the big bores were too loud, i never got a chance to shoot my dang grape. It was just too much going on and not enough time.

Amazing how SLOW times goes when you are at work but, when you are with 4 people and you have 15 airguns on a table, time seems to move forward quite a bit faster than light itself.
October 11, 2011 06:38PM
Sounds a little weak Cedric ... whistling

heheheh

laughing
October 11, 2011 09:35PM
"having a neighbor (100 yards away) come over all tell us the big bores were too loud"

Must be a tough neighborhood. My neighbors NEVER complain anymore since they saw some groups... laughing

Hold it, you shot the Rogue and couldn't hit the grapoe with that modern marvel? eye rolling smiley

Kent,

I've only just begun to scratch the surface of the excuses I can put out there! "It wasn't windy, Im not used to aiming dead on" is just one... laughing again
October 12, 2011 05:48AM
I'm laughin so hard that i'm tearing. You guys' sarcasm is REALLY GOOD....lol

I have to laugh though cause when i did not get the chance to shoot the grape for the second time, i knew you guys were gonna ride me.

Yes Jerry, 100 yards away. This guy has a 150 YARD RANGE in the back yard. He's got the best and biggest back yard i've ever seen. His front yard to back PROPERTY line has got to be right at 200 yards in length. He works for Edwards Airforce Base.....soooooooooooooooo??!!! The neighbors house is a ways away even though there land is only seperated by a cinder block wall. But yeah, we removed the SHROUD off of the Rogue and ............BOOOOOOM! About 10 of those shot sent the neighbor over complaining. So we had to put up the big bores and only shoot the QUIET GUNS.

But i'll will get you guys. I'm coming up with something SPECTACULAR.....BWUhhhhhaaaa....BWUHHHHAAA (evil laugh)
October 12, 2011 03:09PM
Ohhhhh ... we're sceered. heheheh willy, willy sceered .... eye popping smiley

Hey, that guy needs one of Neil's sound suppressing boxes to shoot thru. Remember that thread. Either that, or he could broadcast Rap music at 110 decibels and the guy would BEG for big bore. grinning smiley

Gary
October 12, 2011 05:13PM
I'll put my boom-box in the mail to Tofaz right away Gary!

I take it you won't be rushing out to by a Rogue Tofaz?

Jerry, great pics and movie of a day at the rangethumbs up I figure you winged that Pirate grape on purpose, just to show how precisely you can shoot?
Hehehe

Neil
October 12, 2011 06:23PM
It was important the pirate roll away from the hostage as they were on a cliff!
October 12, 2011 06:57PM
eye popping smiley Whattaguy!!! shooter with bench rifle Green bowing
October 12, 2011 07:43PM
Neil, in short...........HELL NO!.....lol The gun, like most Crosmans, need work. or at least.......better barrels.

But if you guys want a first impression of it, i will make another post on it. Just say the word.
October 12, 2011 08:25PM
Well now Faz ...

You know ... you can't say anything negative about anything or anybody. Especially if it involves the truth. If you can put together a mush mouth glowing report that doesn't involve any factual evidence of lead to any obvious conclusions; ... whistling ... then, certainly ... we'd love to hear your endorsement ... I mean report. grinning smiley

Of course ... NObody called me. NOsir. Wouldn't want any old American Fossil having any input or anything. laughing

So; that's what happens. Looks like the geeks took over the drawing board and bypassed the testing range before production ... but that's just the opinion of a know nothing nobody ... yes sir. Don't bother me none nohow ... Green bowing

You might want to consult with Jerry. He has to deal with all that government technical newspeak what takes ten minutes to say nothing useful. Something like ... let's see ... "They designed in an amazing "shot counting aid" which comes free with each gun. Whereas some guns have been known to place multiple shots in one hole ... the designers worked to assure that you can quickly count EACH hole seperately".

whistling

thumbs up

Gary
October 13, 2011 02:41AM
Go ahead Ced, let us hear what your impressions are. We've heard enough BS.... We trust you.
October 13, 2011 06:05AM
OK, "The word". Right Tofaz, I have said the word, now give us the down and dirty.......smiling bouncing smiley
Cheers
Neil
October 14, 2011 04:49AM
LOL.....love it. Yep....just don't understand why all the writers and spokes people get the guns that shoot MOA but when its for sale to the public, no one can get a group like that. And the gun has other issues never mentioned in said video and write up. BOY DO I KNOW.........lol

I will make another post about it now in the GEAR SHACK section. Well, nothing has been posted in there for a while so i felt bad for it...lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 04:59AM by Tofazfou.
October 23, 2011 12:30PM
easy ,,,, i could hit a 1 inch grape at 125 yds no problem at all

id just need to be shooting 2ft slug.
lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021