Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: When the Bishop hits the bucket…Video Included

When the Bishop hits the bucket…Video Included
October 27, 2011 06:08PM
Hi Guys,

Went to the range today and wanted to follow up on the water jugs video. Brought a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets and got it all on video. Only this time I was going to shoot the bucket lying on its side, from top to bottom. That’s 15 inches of water.

Here is the video, I hope that you enjoy it:

[www.youtube.com]

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 02:11AM by Julio.
Re: When the Bishop hits the bucket…
October 27, 2011 07:58PM
But .... stunned ... won't the water come out when you lay it on it's side ... ? more confused

laughing again
Re: When the Bishop hits the bucket…
October 28, 2011 12:14AM
NOOOOO GB...not with those buckets...lol

Julio, i'm gonna spoil it. If you shot one at a time laying on their sides lengthwise, then the slugs went through. But lining them up back to back might be a whole nother animal,

Come on with the video man, i'm anxious here........LOL
October 28, 2011 02:39AM
Great concept Julio! Another idea! I was surprised to see the slug make it thru 4 layer of plastic and 30 inches of water.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I was sure you'd find the slug in the last bucket. I hope the Maryland DNR is watching this demo of penetration in the extreme! That's got to be at least 3 deer thick.

Kent
October 28, 2011 03:39AM
Whoooh!!!! YOU DA MAHN!!! laughing

Wow - that was SOME credit too at the end. I'm a bit afraid I'll see that "Tee Shirt Shuffle Dance" in my sleep .... excited ... hahhaahh .... but WHAT a CREDIT!!! hahahah. grinning smiley

Dude ... you are tearing up some buckets and stuff. Here I have old used drywall buckets in the shop ... and you've got that Hollywood budget account working. Pretty stuff.

Excellent video. Amazing penetration. I think there will be "bucket steaks" on the grill tonight! wow

Thanks Julio. Good Man,

Gary
October 28, 2011 05:33AM
Awesome video Julio. These big bore airguns have some serious power and penetration potential. Keep up the good work and awesome shootingshooter
October 28, 2011 02:02PM
Hey Faz. What chu mean "these" bigbore airguns? Haha. I'm thinking it's the "Barnes" on the side that did it ... whistling
October 28, 2011 05:05PM
Well GB, while you are right about it being YOUR bb in the video...lol

500 FPE is 500 FPE no matter the gun. My Jack Haley did the same thing at 160 yards with one HUGE jug full o water shooting 457 wide mouth HP's. So the penetration potential for ALL BB is amazing

So hence my wording of THESE bb airguns. Just saying that ALL of them made today that make 400-1100 FPE are serious penetrators. Of course............NONE OF THEM COMPARE TO YOUR GUNS...lol. U feel better nowlaughing
October 28, 2011 05:33PM
No - still a bit shaky about you claiming that 500 fpe is 500 fpe ... what a thing to say!!! stunned

laughing

Don't listen to him Julio! jammin' hahahaha.

Gary
October 28, 2011 06:18PM
Great video Julio! The shooting was fun to watch but the credits were awesome! smiling smiley
October 28, 2011 09:19PM
I fear that some buckets may have been harmed in the making of this filminjured

That is some very impressive penetration for a "mere" 500 ft/lbs of energy, I've shot many rounds through center-fire rifles that wouldn't make it through the first bucket (with typical hollowpoint/softpoint bullets). Of course, with many of them there would be no bucket left as such, since for any given power level the tradeoff is between penetration and energy transfer.

So...Tofazu, while it's true that 500 ft/lbs is 500 ft/lbs, the design of the projectile has far more to do with penetration that just energy. You can easily get muzzle energies far exceeding that (with centerfire cartridges) by using lightweight, small diameter bullets at very high velocities, and quite a few of them wouldn't make it through the first bucket full of water without breaking up or veering wildly off-course. One five-gallon bucket of water is plenty enough to stop virtually all cartridge pistol bullets when they're shooting typical self-defense type ammo. You'd have to switch to jacketed solids or hardcast semi-wadcutter bullets to make it through to the second.

To get good penetration, especially at airgun muzzle energy levels, it's all about bullet design and sectional density. It's pretty obvious from the video that the Bishops Julio is shooting would have NO problem penetrating through the vitals of just about any game animal in North America, let alone a whitetail deer. In fact, you might have to use caution when hunting something as small and lightyly built as a whitetail, so that you didn't end up shooting more than one animal at a time.

I don't understand why any state game agency would have a problem letting someone hunt deer with a 500fpe bigbore air rifle, especially when they're fine letting people hunt the exact same animals with a recurve bow or a .357 pistol. It just doesn't make any sense, unless they're concerned that some yahoo is going to head out hunting with a Condor .25 or a 9mm Career carbine. If they set reasonable limits based on muzzle energy and bullet types, there should be no reason why not.
October 29, 2011 03:14AM
Hello Sean,

I'm working with the DNR in Maryland on hunting fpe requirements.

We missed a perfect opportunity to show some fine range demonstrations with the hurricane here abouts a couple of months ago. We're rescheduling. One reason I've prepared one of the 62 Orion Yukons for field work. One of the 58s will be completed soon, and shipped. I found the Orion trigger block for the bigger versions to be lacking. I just didn't like it. So; I redesigned it, made new components, new housing, retro fitted the stocks, etc. Now testing the new system.

Will be interesting to get the officals to the range, and let them see what the numbers mean. As I've mentioned in some recent threads, it's easy to not fully appreciate what the energy will do. If more is possible, then it seems more is called for. And then, after that, more again. So that, in a pretty short time, you are going to be a supreme disappointment if you cannot keep up the progression.

I've always enjoyed showing what the energy can do to various targets. I really like the plywood baffle block to compare various rounds. More of that soon.

Gary
December 27, 2011 08:11PM
Hi Gary

Have scheduled another day to meet with dnr concerning airguns used for hunting?
October 29, 2011 07:03AM
Now Rotorhead, don't take this wrong as i didn't, but, you DO know that i DO know that right????????? Come on maaaaaaaanlaughing

I said it wrong, yes i SORTA did, but, as i said earlier even my 310 gr SOFT LEAD WIDE MOUTH HP went clear through a THICKER PLASTIC than those buckets filled with water (wish my external hard drive would not have crashed as i've lost all my videos and pics) sitting at 160 yards away lasered. I also know for a fact that GB's bullets are not HP's, they are solids. You see, i've shot all this stuff long ago hence why i told JULIO in his first bottle blasting video that he is gonna need WAAAAY more material (I mentioned my 5 gal bucket that i also shot) to stop a 500 FPE 300+ grain bullet that is probably either Round Nose or Flat Nosed. I knew this cause my HPs at 160 yards shot from a 450 FPE gun could not be stopped by my TOUGHER bucket. And oh my, if i would have shot it with my 320 gr FP's...........phewwww.

And yes, the difference between a 500 fpe pistol round and a 500 FPE big bore airgun slug is that the slugs are moving at 2 totally different speed upon impact. A 500 FPE HP pistol round will fragment in the first 6-8" in that bucket but a 800 fps 320 grain roundnose solid lead bullet will ZIP on through. A 45 ACP at that range shooting 230 gr HP's probably would only mushroom but not fragment cause they are moving at a more sedate 850 FPS which is closer to the bb gun.
October 30, 2011 08:26AM
Bummer about your drive crash Tofazfou, I'll bet you had a lot of good stuff on there.

I saw an underwater video where someone was firing a .308 rifle into a swimming pool on full auto. You could see the bullets zip down super-fast for about the first foot and a half or so, then they just seemed to head off in a random spiral and just ran out of steam. The pool was maybe five or six feet deep and none of the bullets made it anywhere near the bottom at speed, they were just dribbling down by the bottom.-tipped

I saw an article about a special 20mm round that the Navy fires from helicopters to take out floating mines that aren't too far underwater. They have a really weird shape on the nose, with a sort of a flat-topped peg that sticks out in front. It would be interesting to see one of them , but I'm not sure I'd want to use MY pool. grinning smiley
October 30, 2011 10:36PM
LOL..nice!. Mythbusters had a really good episode in which they fired different PB rounds into a pool of water including the 50 cal and believe it or not, they all SHATTERED within about 2-3 feet of the pool. They were tring to bust the HOLLYWOOD MYTH of people being shoot while underwater. Basically, SUPPOSEDLY if you dive down 6' you would totally safe from any High Powered Rifle or Pistol round.

But i would really like to see how far a BB bullet could travel down and still do damage.

Yeah, i had all my first HOG hunting and coyote hunting video and thousands of pics and hundreds and hundreds of video that i lost. TOOO EXPENSIVE TO recover the files and they only say you get back about 80% of the files. Just yesterday MY NEW SEAGATE Hard Drive took a dump.............ARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!! I hate technology, its a scam. Oh yeah, but i did recover all my data from that external hard drive....lol..........pheww!
October 30, 2011 11:20PM
Hi Cedric,

Don't know how well the recovery works (have not had to try it yet) but there are several on-line backup things that are cheap and backup all your stuff whenever you are on-line. I use one.

Gary
October 31, 2011 12:34AM
If you pay for 2 back-up drives, nothing will ever fail.
October 31, 2011 02:41AM
Ha!! If they are MINE they might ... hahahh.

I'm waiting to collapse the internet ... hehehe.

Bummer about Cedric's stuff. Of course, if it were all posted here instead of those other gutter sites ... it would all be safe now .... heheheheh.

Gary
November 01, 2011 05:16AM
LOL...GB, you always make me laugh man. Good to come hear and get a chuckle.

The TECH at Fry's recommended that i use an online storage too. he said that external hard drives SUCK cause they always die and its very tricky and expensive to recover the info.

But i did get all of my current vids and pics off of the SeaGate and they are all now on DVD disc. Never have to worry about there electronics shutting down.....lol.

Gary, which storage website do you use?
November 01, 2011 05:31PM
Hi Ced.

I'll PM you. It's a deep secret. You know how THEY are out to get my stuff .... scared

Actually, I'd hate to crash their site my mentioning them. Curse their business and all. Loose all my stuff. Actually, they might not take you ... cause I already signed up as "Tofazfou" ... heheh. I knew they wouldn't take Gary Barnes ... hehehe
November 02, 2011 04:52AM
lol.....way to go GB. LOL

Ok, will check the PM
November 04, 2011 01:53AM
Had to watch this again. Great video! hahah.

thumbs up

Gary
December 28, 2011 12:01AM
thats serious .
December 28, 2011 05:12AM
Cool dude!

I thought I recognized that range.

Lon
December 29, 2011 11:16PM
Julio,

A few weeks ago i shot one of those buckets with 240 FPE and a HP bullet in 308 and man was it boring compared to your 500 FPE bucket explosion...lol. I recorded the side of the bucket in slow mo and i do have to say, the HP bullet made the sides of the bucket jiggle just like jello. Its just amazing how much power we are dealing with when you see videos like yours and also see my bucket jiggle like jello along the sides......WOW! But it did blow a huge hole out of the back of that bucket.
December 29, 2011 11:53PM
Hi Ced,

Please post your slow-mo video. I like to see the jello effect that you are mentioning. It's clear that the hp slug will transfer more energy to the target. Did you had a chance to recover the slug?

Thanks,

Julio
December 31, 2011 05:50AM
Julio,

I will see if i still have it. I don't think that i do cause like i said, it was boring..lol. But i'll search my archives for it for sure. And no, even at 50 yards, you could easily tell by the exit explosion that the thing still had a TON of speed and energy left. i should have shot 2 back to back like you did and still use backing. I bought 2 of them (expensive..wow) and shot each one individually. The other was shot with my 17 HMR which was HIGHLY boring and it was shooting the VMAX bullets. The VMAX bullet disentegrated in the bottom of the buck with no exit and it moved LESS than the BB airgun.
Photobucket
December 31, 2011 02:16PM
Hi Cedric ... Now ... are those plastic tipped bullets .... ah .... "safety bullets"? nowthatIthink
January 01, 2012 08:25PM
GB,

Yes, they are HORNADY 17 gr V-MAX (varmint max) bullets at 2600 FPS second outta my gun. The red tip is polymer and aides in expansion and explosiveness. They litterally turn small game inside out. They also do NOT ricochette off of hard surfaces they desintergrate so the red tip IS sorta a safety thing...lol...seriously!. The 17 HMR is a 22 Magnum case necked down to accept 17 cal (.172") boatail bullets. And when i say LASER ACCURATE, Im not exaggerating.

256 yard OFFHAND jack rabbits kills with this round...........................NO PROBLEM! 180 yard ground squirrel kills.........NO PROBLEM!
January 01, 2012 09:27PM
Interesting. Have to speak quietly though. You witnessed the yawn heard round the world when I showed my handmade 32 BP rifle. Ssshhhhhhh ;?). Haha
Anonymous User
January 13, 2012 01:26AM
That is a great video Julio, and the credit at the end was great. Have to sport my tee as well. Still waiting on Jerry,s 250 yard video...............
January 13, 2012 10:45PM
250! I need a longer range!why me
January 14, 2012 02:16AM
We are gonna need a golf cart to go past 200 yards. I'm putting my foot down.
winking smiley
January 14, 2012 07:26AM
So...do you think you've got space for an ATV in the War Wagon? Might have to get an even BIGGER trailer...grinning smiley
January 14, 2012 02:31PM
Just get a Segway. There ought to be room for one. Get off road tires for it. Dory
January 14, 2012 08:47PM
Other than the fact that the off-road models probably cost about as much as the trailer and all its contents, no problem. Better not let Gary get a look at the price tag on one of those things, talk about sticker shock! injured
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021