Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Feel like playing some ball…

Feel like playing some ball…
October 27, 2011 06:12PM
A few days ago, while I was walking on the sporting goods department of K-mart, I saw a few different balls from different sports. What would happen to these balls if they get struck by a 500 fpe slug? That was the first question that I had in my mind.

DSC02396.JPG

-Will they explode?

-Will the slug pass thru them without much reaction?

-Will any of them be moved far away?

The idea here is to test how each of these balls would react to the impact of a 500 fpe slug. The ground was muddy and I was not in the mood for running long distances to stop the camera after every shot, so all of the balls were shot at 35 yards.

It’s important to mention that the slug used was the Barnes Bishop weighting 319 grains. The Bishop is a flat nose slug, so this will make this experiment even more interesting.

[www.youtube.com]

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 02:37AM by Julio.
October 27, 2011 07:57PM
OK ... I could afford the grape .... but .... stunned

I'm getting in over my head now. hahahah.

I don't know ... I'll bet the golf ball reaches Mach 2.5 .... excited

Gary
October 28, 2011 12:18AM
OK MR...JULIO...........what's up with 2 post that say "video coming later" Get on with it man...lol

By the way, none of them will explode and the golf ball and baseball with travel the furthest,
October 28, 2011 03:45AM
Wow ... you got good placement on those shots Julio.

I think if you move the price tag .... you can take that softball back to the store! hahahah.

You really know how to wreck stuff. bowing heheheh

Great video production. hey - where's the Tee shirt shuffle?

thumbs up

Gary
October 28, 2011 05:27AM
NIIIIIIICE! 500 FPE or 570 MPH sent that golf ball flying.

Nice shooting JULIO. I'm beginning to really think Gary makes accurate guns.....lol
October 28, 2011 06:53AM
Julio,

Be careful shooting golfballs with pellet guns, BUNCH of stories about richochets.whistling

Lon
October 28, 2011 06:34PM
Another great video. Just be careful and don't get accused of shooting the neighbor kid's kickball!
October 28, 2011 07:49PM
Neat video, thanks for sharing it. For me, the most surprising part is how it just punched right through everything. especially the raquetball. I've tried to drill through golfballs a couple of times to use them as swinging targets for a .22LR, and they're REALLY difficult to get through. I guess I just wasn't using the right tool. laughing again
October 29, 2011 03:19AM
Yeah ... and think about the energy required to knock that golf ball off it's mount. You could flick it off with a crooked finger like you were flicking a fly. And yet ... it sat there, suspended in space, while that huge slug gored it's way completely thru the golf ball, before it took off with the imparted energy.

Before I'd had the experiences I've seen with these guns, I would have predicted the slug would just imbed the head a tiny amount (or really just bruse it deeply) and then the ball would have taken off at the near speed of the slug. Instead, the thing is completely penetrated!

Gary
October 30, 2011 07:19PM
It's completely counterintuitive that way, isn't it? You'd expect to find it somewhere in the next county with a little dent on one side, yet...

Same for shooting steel plates with hi-power rifles. If you had a big ol honkin sledge hammer and a box of Sierra Matchkings, you could work your whole life trying to hammer one of those through a half-inch steel plate with no success. Yet if you apply 2650 fps with your .308 rifle, they sail through the steel like it's butter. The sledgehammer probably doubles or triples the ft/lbs of energy that the rifle can apply, yet...
November 12, 2011 09:50AM
The most astonishing example I've seen of this kind of thing happening was with shooting a .308 at 75yd. I set up a CD case as the target, leaning up against a small drink bottle that had been shot up. The bottle could hold very little water so it didn't help much in holding the target up. I propped
them against each other precariously - I just wanted a single shot to confirm the sighting. I shot 3 or 4 times and still the target didn't go
down. If I recall, on my way walking up to it, a gust of wind knocked the lot over. But upon inspection, all the bullets had passed through the CD case
as well as the PET bottle.
November 13, 2011 09:11PM
I had the same thing happen shooting a .357 magnum once. I figured I couldn't hit a can at 20 yards to save my life but when I walked up to place a target I thought I might be able to hit...there were 6 holes in the can. Yup, felt a lot better then!
November 03, 2011 07:15AM
Nice shooting and video Julio! Seems like you centre-shot all of those balls...
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021