Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Varmint Hunting Test ...

Varmint Hunting Test ...
November 09, 2011 12:46AM
I needed a couple of hours off. I've been working on stuff that just won't get done. Worked on some maintenance. Fought a retrofit for a customer to a standstill. I have a lousy head and chest cold. I needed to get out.

I grabbed some stuff and went to the range. (Meaning, I carefully figured what I'd need for a quick trip, and loaded the truck for a half an hour). No War wagon this time.

I've had in mind to do some varmint hunting around our range field. We've seen some fox there from time to time. Jerry found a varmint call Ap for his phone. I got it too. Amazing. Problem it, I bought a small speaker set that's battery powered and you can barely hear it thru the speakers. Small phone jack for input to the speakers. No problem, I have an old shop radio that will take AUX input with a small phone jack. I hook it up. Can barely hear it thru speakers. The current shop radio has an iPod dock for input. I set the iPhone on there ... it plays the game calls very loud. But that unit it wired to the shop at present. And, I'd need to run the generator to power the unit. So; I don't know why the idock works and the phone jack thingie doesn't. I mean, I can hear the calls, but it's terribly faint. I'm too stupid to figure it out.

So ... off to the range. Did I mention, I'd found a scrap of 3/4" plywood that was an odd shape. Wedged between the casting station and parts cabinet, I looked it over for a while, and juuuuust found a fox in it. I cut it out.

hunting test 1059.JPG

So, at the range; I set up my foolproof quick session shooting bench. Might look like a tailgate with a couple of ripstop tarps folded up over a couple of 4 by 4 blocks. WITH a step stool for a seat. But - THAT would be what I WANT you to see .... hahahahah.

I set a sandwich board target out at 100 yards stepped off, just to verify my zero. I was using a 477 grain bullet that I recently made. OK ... looks like I need to hold 3 1/2 mildots high and 1 1/2 mildots right for this set up. That drives Jerry nuts. "TURN THE KNOBS ON THE SCOPE" or something like that may have escaped when he didn't realize he was muttering out loud. whistling

Well, this is just temp. I'm not keeping the scope on here, and I hate to wear out the knobs ,... hehehehe

So ... let's try this now. If I saw a rascally old fox at 100 yards ....

hunting test 1040.JPG

hunting test 1041.JPG

I walked up - marked the first shot. Took the pics. Walked back and prepared for another shot. BANG

hunting test 1045.JPG

Saw the Fox fall over. It's three layers of 3/4 exterior plywood on the body mass, with an off center prop leg on the rear. A solid hit lets it twist and fall.

hunting test 1046.JPG

Not a bad second placement. Mark it, photograph it ... set it up and walk back. Prepare for another shot.

hunting test 1049.JPG

Bang ... and it falls again.

Seeing the placement of the rear exit wound, I think it's close to the others.

hunting test 1051.JPG

And the third 477 grain slug ploughed thru very close to the others.

hunting test 1053.JPG

In fact ... very close to the others. And, then it hit me. I don't have an aimspot. I'm instinctly centering on the shoulder and holding off the mil-dot distances. Hey - it worked.

hunting test 1059.JPG

Was good to get out and shoot just a few rounds. Evidently lousy chest colds improve my marksmanship. hahaha

google eyes

Gary
hunting test 1057.JPG
hunting test 1055.JPG
November 09, 2011 01:03AM
Hi Gary,

Nice shooting! The three shots were perfectly placed. I think that you are ready for fox hunting. As a fact, it's hard to shoot a group like that one, even if you are shooting three consecutive shots and aiming at an specific spot. You did it after walking to the target and back to the shooting bench whistling, between shots and not having an specific POA. Wow, that makes this group more impressive. Good for you!

Julio
November 09, 2011 02:01PM
Thanks Julio,

Wish you'd have been there to shoot a few with me. (But - guess you don't really need a chest cold ... hahah).

You inspired me with all your recent videos. thumbs up

Gary
November 09, 2011 04:12PM
I doubt that having a cold helped you Gary....clearly it was the hi-tech shooting benchrolling happy smiley
Nice shooting! MODF (Minute Of Dead Fox) for sure.
Cheers
Neil
November 09, 2011 04:33PM
That Is a high tech bench Neil. It's on wheels and everything! Hehe. Thanks for your comments. Gary
November 09, 2011 10:30PM
Gotta love them Mil Dots. The heck with turnin them turrets....lol

Great shooting at a HUNERD' and not aim spot. A dead fox anyway you look at it. And boy do i understand the caller thingy. I recently spotted a yote and my dang caller broke...........ARRRRRGHHHHH! But at least you shot yours...lol.
November 09, 2011 11:47PM
Hi Faz,

The caller thing is kicking my butt. I'm not gonna spring for one of the big boys. My truck would never forgive me ... since it's got it's own maintenance list it wants. hahah. Wish someone knew why my phone will output to the iPod jack louder than to the 1/8" phone jack output. I could patch together a call.

But then, what am I gonna do with the Fox if I get one. The wooden ones can be patched up a few times and go into the trash. haha. Now, if I'd ever get another shot at a Bobc....Bobbbbkkaaa ..... one of those things .... I'd have to finance a stuffing. hehehhe.

Gary
November 10, 2011 05:44AM
yeah, i had to spring for this one:
[i39.photobucket.com]

I actually like the e callers as they are remote control (this one is all solid state electronics) and the remote has a range of up to 200 yards in PRIME conditions and a easy range of 100 yards. Although i haven't field tested this one yet, the other one i had, i've set it up at 150 yards before and the wireless remote worked like a charm. Got this one BRAND NEW on ebay for 100 bucks
November 10, 2011 02:58PM
So you're saying all I have to do is luck into a steal? knucklehead. You realize you're talking to Mr. Lucky himself? Haha
November 10, 2011 03:33PM
Nice shooting. Besides the high tech bench, that slug is working out great isn't it? Have you changed the name of it yet?
November 10, 2011 06:14PM
Jerry,

My brain is coming back on-line now, I'm working on that name.

smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021