Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Texas Airgun Hunt Day 1

Texas Airgun Hunt Day 1 -Video added-
November 13, 2011 04:42PM
Note to all: I will be posting a week in arrears. Look for "daily" postings on the hunt, but I won't give up the ending early.

DAY 1

I accepted an invitation to visit Eric and participate in an airgun hunt with him. I, as usual, didn't get on the road until after noon. I had a little delay with the Texas state troopers due to a license plate light being out but still made good time. I actually arrived in Austin on friday night but as it was opening day eve, I didn't want to come barging in at midnight. I was initially surprised at all the No Vacancies at the local hotels until I realized there was a home game at UT on Sat. Yesterday I arrived without incident to his Llano, Tx ranch to meet Eric, his family and friends for some BBQ after the morning hunt. Most in attendance had hunted here for the last 16 seasons. A nice sow was already on the cleaning hook and everyone saw whitetail but no wall hangers today. After lunch Eric and I went to the Mason Tx site to get tucked in for a hunt tomorrow. I was able to get some pics as we entered the ranch.

Donkey.jpg

We were greeted by this hold over from the previous owners. There were three donkeys who had "Life Estate".

Terrain.jpg

This is a typical view of the terrain we were surrounded by. As I mentioned to Eric after my first walkabout, there are no "friendly" plants in this part of TX. Everything poked, stabbed or stung if bumped into.
Blackbucks duo.jpg

This was the first sighting of the Indian Blackbuck as we pulled into the ranch. They were sharing a field with the cattle and about 10 does. Being an antelope, they prefer the wide open spaces and not the brush. The dominant buck turns dark as he takes over the herd. The lesser buck stays light as evidenced here.
Blackbuck solo.jpg

Another closeup of the animal. I can't tell if this is the lesser as the lighting is different.
Artisian pool.jpg

We went on to the house for some sighting in and gun play. The hold on airguns is very user specific, Eric found what worked very quickly.

We enjoyed shooting some steel targets that I had brought. We felt good about the guns and are ready to go for tomorrows hunt.

Waterfall.jpg

The views around the house are magnificent. A great place to relax today.
Pretty little waterfall off the spring.
House.jpg

Here's the view from the waterfall.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 12:40AM by Cajun Justice.
November 13, 2011 09:01PM
Looks a GREAT place for a hunt!
November 13, 2011 09:53PM
Place looks very relaxing. Great setting and water features.

Which installment includes the Water Buffalo charge?

Hope you had fun and the guns performed well.

Gary
November 13, 2011 11:36PM
Ahhhh, boy do i miss Texas. You lucky guy you. nice pics and i'll stay tuned for more hunting updates
November 13, 2011 11:48PM
Just an FYI.

First time through, there was no video player offered, that I saw. I see it now, but it says that the video is not available.

If you get a chance Kent, you might double check. We'd like to see your materials.

Gary
November 14, 2011 03:18AM
Got it now. Great to see Eric in action there. He seemed pleased. thumbs up

Gary
Re: Texas Airgun Hunt Day 1 -Video added-
November 14, 2011 04:00AM
Kent,

Nice!

I'll follow along.fudd

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021