Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Axis Hunt

Axis Hunt
November 14, 2011 08:29PM
Since my Hog incident a couple of days ago (see earlier story in the Hunt section) I've been feeling the need for redemption. I had a friend in town for the weekend who had decided he would rather go after a big whitetail then the Axis he had previously requested, so the Axis I had scouted became mine. For people not familiar with Exotics, Axis are an Indian deer that were first imported into Texas in the '40's. A mature buck is in the 250-350 pound range and because of their herding behavior and tens of thousands of years of avoiding being eaten by big, mean @#$ tigers, they make for a really challenging hunt.
I got set up in the blind about 3:00 and my feeder went off at 4:00. Immediately I was inundated with whitetails, including one that apparently had allergies as he couldn't stop sneezing. Poor guy was letting loose every ten seconds for the entire hour he was in front of me.
A.R.4.JPG
Anyhow, five o'clock rolls around with still nothing but whitetails. I write a quick e-mail to Gary from the blind, and decide it is time to go pick up my buddy. As soon as I exited the blind, I noticed movement on a hill about 200 yards distant. A quick look through my binoculars and I confirm that it's a herd of Axis, including a decent buck. They appear to be feeding down a draw in my general direction, so I hoof it to a point where I think I might be able to intercept them and before I can set my pack on the ground, the first doe is in front of me. I'm caught out in the open as I have not yet even had the chance to find a tree to hide behind. So I do my best impression of a harmless bush and it seems to work. Four does file by at less than 40 yards, then a young buck, and finally, out comes the big guy I had spotted from below. At this point I am scared to raise my gun as the group of does are less than 20 yards from me, but ever so slowly I get into position and as big boy looks behind him at a whitetail doe, I take the shot. The whole herd acts confused and runs around in little tight circles, within ten seconds the buck starts to get shaky legged, and over he go's.
I apologize for not getting damage pictures gary, but by the time we got him drug out and cleaned it was getting late. Both my wife and my friends were out there, the resturaunt wast closing soon, and they were hungry. Enough said. It was a full penetration shot. In just slightly behind the shoulder and a little below center line, and out the same place on the opposite side. The Bishop did fairly extensive damage to both lungs, and took out a neat little chunk of the bottom parts of the heart.
Thanks again for letting me borrow the rifle Kent, and thank you Gary for building such exemplary pieces of art/engineering.
A.R.3.JPG

A.R.2.JPG

A.R.1.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 08:38PM by egra099.
November 14, 2011 08:37PM
OH ... WELL DONE DUDE!!!!

Most Excellent!!!

Man ... I need to start practicing to look like a bush. Did you have your arms akimbo? Fingers wide? What about the hat ... fluff the hair? I need details man!! hahahahaha.

I'm thrilled that you had success and thanks so much for sharing it!!! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Gary
November 14, 2011 08:40PM
Gary, Gary, Gary. It's not about the physical, it's all mental. You have to BE the bush.
November 14, 2011 09:07PM
BE THE BUSH! Excellent advice, LOL!

Well done for sure. The Grey Fox draws blood and a fine kill it was. I'll have to tell Timmy that one of his castings performed it's duty too!

Thanks for the great post.
November 14, 2011 09:12PM
Please do Jerry. You all's slug's are all that I have been shooting and they have been nothing but excellent. Thank him for me and tell him to keep up the good work.
November 14, 2011 09:43PM
Hi Gary,

Those pictures are keepers for your Barnes' Airgun Magazine cover.

Eric, congratulations on your succesful hunt. You explained it so well that I felt like I was right there with you. Yes, the bush on the left (kidding).

Julio
November 14, 2011 10:00PM
Hi E*/c ...

Darned leaves ... kppp getting in ... puhhhHH!!! .... the way ......

laughing

Gary
November 14, 2011 11:42PM
What a great story Eric. Axis deer, white tail deer, a sneezing deer and a Grey Fox. What an assortment of game. Wait, the Grey Fox is a gun. Ok, my bad. But great story and hunt aside from my bad jokes.

A hunt and story to remember for the rest of your life.

Congrats again.

Tofazfou
November 15, 2011 12:07AM
Yes, I'm back again. Wonderful pics. Great story.

One of my guns in the field.

Hey ... I've taken grief for years, about Mahogany stocks. You take a look at the rich color that stock has become and tell me all gunstocks have to be Walnut. That's really gotten rich.

Everything is perfect ... except the hat. This man NEEDS a Barnes Pneumatic hat. Will be in the mail Eric! thumbs up

Somebody took one of my guns out .... grinning smiley

Gary
November 15, 2011 01:16AM
That's Great Eric! I knew you'd write a good history for the Grey Fox. Now that Axis is what I call a trophy. Looks like you were sitting a the blind on the top of the hill. Even better that it came after a great ambush in the open, way to go! take a bow

Kent
November 15, 2011 11:57AM
Gary,
A hat would really tie the pictures together. After thinking it through, I'm pretty sure lack of proper head gear is what caused the issues with the hog the other day.If there are any other guns you want taken out in the field, just send them my way. Heck, you could have a "field proven" model/designation. "Every gun is field proven tough enough for the hunt". Oh yeah, that has a ring too it. That kind of advertising seems to work well for Winchester, Ruger, et. al. winking smiley Just trying to do my part.

Kent,
That was indeed up on the hill. They were up on top when I first spotted them, and I caught up to them as they got down towards the tank by the guest house.
November 18, 2011 06:19AM
Great hunt Eric, that is some beast!
Not a bad gun either Garywhistling The Grey Fox is one of my favourites!
Regards
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021