Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Let's see ... THIS goes HERE, I think ...

Let's see ... THIS goes HERE, I think ...
November 17, 2011 02:12AM
The HAWG 62 Horse Pistol has an attachable buttstock. It's attached via a long thru draw bolt. This requires a really fine fit of the ball of the pistol grip handle into a socket on the buttstock.

There is a heavy brass interface in the ball of the pistol grip to receive the thru bolt.

Hawg Buttstock Interface 001.JPG

Now ... all you need is the perfect socket in the end of the buttstock. However; the pistol grip is made up of asymetrical compound curves. I guess you could use your seven axis CNC (which I don't have and don't know how) .... or do it old school if you know how. THAT I can handle.

Hawg Buttstock Interface 002.JPG

The socket ...

Hawg Buttstock Interface 003.JPG

Pretty well fit now.

Hawg Buttstock Interface 004.JPG

There will be a glove leather compression pad between them when the stock is complete.

take a bow

Gary
November 17, 2011 02:50AM
Gorgeous Gary. I don't care how expensive a CNC machine is used. Craftsmanship like that will never be duplicated by a machine. You just can't get that look/fit with ones and zeros.
November 17, 2011 04:11AM
I 2nd that!
November 17, 2011 04:16AM
Great job Gary, those lines and curves are a perfect mate. Any tighter and you wouldn't need a bolt to hold it.bowing When I see that I wonder if you just rub them together until they fit? Seems like the grew together.

But I'm wondering about the leather spacer, seems Velcro is all the rage and will give you that "stiction" to tighten it all up. Just a suggestion from the peanut gallery.more innocent

Kent
November 17, 2011 05:14AM
Dude. Velco? Gary?why me

Gary raises his own cattle, butchers them, tans the hides and then uses it on his guns. Bulls only, Longhorn. Need the horns for trimming guns and knives. Uses the cow bone for making guitar bridges and nuts. wink

Lon
November 17, 2011 02:28PM
That's not a leather scuff, that's where the bull brushed against a barbed wire fence! wink

-- Jim
November 17, 2011 03:46PM
It's true Jim. Ask Julio. His Nautilus buttflask leather has at least one healed scar in the leather IIRC. winking smiley

Thanks guys. Glad you liked it. Actually, I use aliens. Just like the way they fitted the stones in Ecuador. Same guys in fact. Very old dudes now. winking smiley. We stick together.

Gary
November 18, 2011 01:33PM
Gary,
seeing that tight a fit reminds me of hand scraping poured babbit bearings on a 500hp air compressor. Took 3 of us 1 month!

Rick G.
November 18, 2011 03:09PM
Well - thankfully, this gun doesn't have any of those. haha.

Guess those bearings might last a generation on such a machine. Anywhere close?

Gary
November 22, 2011 03:31AM
Yes sir,about a generation. We Rebuilt the Whole thing as they sold it to someplace Down in Mississippi..
The whole thing was bedded into the Poured foundation of the building.Took a bit to "Get it Out" and it was shipped by Boat
from Philadelphia. They just don't make em like that anymore! Kinda like someone else we all know & love.!

Rick G.
November 22, 2011 04:13AM
Thanks Rick.
Good to know some folks still know how to keep fine machinery running. It takes someone who's gotten past thinking they always need the latest buzz that's being pushed. There has been slot of fine machinery made that will keep going for generations to come.
Gary
November 18, 2011 03:58PM
Just whipped that up did 'ya? Looks great.
November 23, 2011 05:44AM
So...no combination holster/buttstock assemblies like the old broomhandle Mausers?winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021