Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: weekend project

weekend project
November 27, 2011 11:17AM
Typically, my ambitions for the Thanksgiving weekend extend to stuffing myself with turkey, relaxing with family, and lazing around the house not watching football. This weekend we had a couple of projects involuntarily added to the agenda by mother nature. Hmmm...wonder what that fluffy lump is between the house and the garage?

IMG_2317 (800x533) (2).jpg

As you might suspect, it involved shovelling snow. Lots of snow, as in a "shovel your roof before it caves in " level of snow. In the last two weeks we've gotten over a hundred inches of the stuff, a record for this time of year. And next week it's supposed to rain. scared Adding rain to snowpack this deep adds an incredible amount of weight, and packs down to a nearly inpenetrable layer-cake mixture of ice, slush, and powder snow. Since we have shingles instead of a metal roof we can't rely on any of it shedding itself, so it's time to dig out the ladder and get to work. frown

IMG_2320 (800x533).jpg

This was taken after shovelling the garage roof, and before we cleared the house. Yes, that is a ways up there, my extension ladder barely makes it to the roof from the back deck. Our house has a pretty good view from the upstairs, it would have a great view if we had a third story! We spent a lot of time with the snowblower going last week to keep the walkways clear, but we hire a guy with a loader to clear the main driveway area. The lumps in between the house and the garage are becoming more clear now. The one on the left is the skiff.

IMG_2334 (800x533).jpg

Hey, that's where that thing went! I knew I left it parked out there somewhere. winking smiley Next week I get to dig out the snow tires so I can actually make it up the driveway. Oh yay, more shovelling...I'm gonna have arms like Popeye by the end of this winter.
November 27, 2011 11:30AM
Where on earth are you?!
November 28, 2011 03:24PM
I live in southeast Alaska, in a little town about 90 miles north of Juneau. And we got about 15 to 18 inches of new snow last night, heavy wet stuff this time. Good thing we can both walk to work, the car is going nowhere until the roads are plowed.
November 27, 2011 01:28PM
You've just reminded me why I moved from 11,000 ft. in Colorado to 1,500 ft. In Texas. Good luck with all of that, popeye arms indeed. In all honesty I miss it most of the time, a week or two "visit" usually cures that though.
November 27, 2011 02:09PM
Whew!pushingarock

Lon
November 27, 2011 04:50PM
WOW!

Good luck man
November 27, 2011 05:17PM
looks like heaven to me...... but then again i'm not very bright.
steve
November 28, 2011 03:34AM
Better eat a LOT of Spinach!!
November 28, 2011 03:45AM
Speechless. My joy is that you enjoy Alaska as you do. I see it as a young man's happy place. ;?)
November 28, 2011 04:45PM
Actually, my wife is pretty sure that her "happy place" is looking a lot more like Hawaii these days.sunny If it keeps up like this all winter, I'm beginning to suspect that it might adversely affect my enthusiasm for living in Alaska year-round. And I WILL have arms like Popeye!
November 28, 2011 02:45PM
That's just not right! injured
November 28, 2011 03:13PM
For that truck, just put on some goggles, stick your head out the window and when you get it up to 45 or so it should blow right off. It will also keep those pesky tailgaters at a distance. google eyes

Have fun with that stuff, be safe.

Kent
December 23, 2011 02:05PM
thats serious work ,,,, they guy in the pick up must be delivering another load of snow .hes been working hard to get enough for you guys to store it all on the roof.
joking aside , this country would stop totally if we got a foot of snow , thats serious .
December 23, 2011 11:21PM
Would you believe that most of that snow was gone within two weeks? We're down to about a foot and a half of ice and frozen slush, it's been raining on and off since the end of November. We expect more snow in the spring, when it gets too cold to rain.

As far as the roads go, it's not bad at all once the heavy snow is cleared from the main roads. It takes a couple more days until the side roads are cleared. If you want your driveway done, you'd better either have your own equipment or contract with a private operator. We do both, but we have a lot of driveway to clear with just the snowblower. The driving conditions aren't bad with fresh snow, in fact it's the smoothest the roads get around here. laughing again

The rain on top of the ice is much worse, you have to have either studs or chains.
December 23, 2011 11:25PM
good grief ,,,, here its +12 degrees ,,, this time last year it was -12 degrees ,,, the world has slipped a tooth on the timing belt i think.
December 24, 2011 01:35AM
Ok ... Ireland is out! Dude ... It's looking better and better right here. 8()
December 24, 2011 07:43AM
I still think you could do a lot worse than the Texas hill country.

Wouldn't take long to learn the language either, it's a lot like English. grinning smiley
January 26, 2012 05:44PM
o oww my god sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021