Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Figure the angles

Figure the angles
December 14, 2011 05:01PM
Eric put me on a shot one morning. We had decided to try for a pig.

At this location, there was a box blind at 105 yards from where the pigs liked to come out. And, after a while, three wandered in.

I'd marked my scope with a 103 yard setting. I was loaded and ready. I felt good about this shot. I lined up and squeezed off the shot. The gun jumped and Eric watched as the slug slammed .... Ah ... Into the air just over the pig's shoulder. Nutz.

Immediately I recognized that I was shooting a good 22 degrees down hill. I'll let you guys with the programs figure the exact amended hold I should have used. I suspect I should have used my 85-90 yard hold to compensate for the downhill shot

If the reader had never thought about it, consider a right triangle with the 90 degree intersection of a horizon and a vertical leg. Imagine the diagonal line drawn to connect the tips of the 90 degree legs. That diagonal is the 105 yard line of sight I lasered. BUT ... note the bottom horizon line is actually shorter. THAT is the actual distance during which gravity acts upon the bullet. Therefore; the shot should be considered to be this shorter distance. If not, you will shoot over your pig. Especially with a big heavy airgun slug that is not shooting laser flat. My slugs trajectory added with my lack of figuring the angles, netted no bacon.

Gary

Iphone

I was writing this post almost before the dust from the pigs hooves had settled.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 05:19PM by barnespneumatic.
December 15, 2011 02:44PM
The variables are multiple in the field. Add the internal variable of adrenaline, fatigue, cold muscles and positional challenges and it is amazing that anyone hits. Did you have the inability to judge distance in the strange landscape? My paced distances and my estimates were consistently off by 20%, as judged too long. It didn't help that the animals were new to me as well. More paper punchers should try the challenge before judging their success in the arm chair.

Kent
December 15, 2011 04:25PM
Hi Kent.

I sat with the rangefinder in hand in the blind. That helps. But there's always at least one neglected variable that becomes evident only after you pull the trigger. For me, everything was in place here, except the downhill shot.

Actually, this was about the height of my beating back the missing pcs and variables. Having just ONE missing was quite an accomplishment.

Gary
Iphone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 01:59AM by barnespneumatic.
December 16, 2011 01:49AM
So ... you are telling me NOBODY has a program on their computer to figure the inclined angle shot ... and tell me what the actual distance hold should have been for a 105 yard downhill 22 degree shot?

Gary
December 16, 2011 01:53AM
Just googled it, nevermind. Check the time stamps. Took a few minutes including making the second post. Thought it might be fun for someone to comment.

Cosine of 22 degree angle times the 105 yard distance. I should have shot it as if it were 97 yards. If the angle were actually 35 degrees, then about a 94 yard hold would do. Other than this explanation ... I just missed.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 01:56AM by barnespneumatic.
December 16, 2011 05:19PM
Bow hunters actually have a bow sight that is pivoting so when they shoot from a tree stand it adjusts to keep the sight pins at the proper level. If your geometry is correct then that 10 yard difference at 100 yards would make a big difference. FYI for 1.99 you can download the whole Army Sniper Manual on your Android phone, including "angle firing". I like the math in your tutorial better.scholar

Kent
December 16, 2011 07:21PM
Yes, just ask google .... Cosine for say 30 for 30 degrees. Multiply times your line of sight in yards. You get the answer in virtual yards.

With our velocities, at the outer edge of our range, ten yards makes a big difference. Dropping that pig with a spine shot and missing is only a few inch difference.

Gary
December 19, 2011 07:00AM
It's a bummer about the lost buck. Angle shots have tripped up a LOT of shooters over the years, including plenty of them shooting rifles and cartridges that are practically laser-beam straight by comparison.
December 21, 2011 09:15PM
Gary, the program I showed you when you were here, "Chair Gun", is available on IOS and Android for FREE. For anyone that doesn't know about it, Chair Gun allows you to input factors such as velocity, projectile wieght, B.C., distance, shot angle, etc. etc., and it will give you a HUGE amount of information. It also has a "tool box" with mini apps such as a neat little deal where you center a set of crosshairs on your target through your phones camera, And it finds the angle for you. It will give you hold overs for any range, wind drifts, ft. Lb's at target and on and on. Highly recommended, and The price is right!
December 21, 2011 10:08PM
NOW you tell me. Haha. winking smiley

That program did look neat. You just have to stall the game with a nice bag of corn or something while you input the data! Haha
December 23, 2011 01:51PM
or find an old artillery gunner, same size slugs nearly...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021