Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rock Star

Rock Star
December 15, 2011 02:58AM
Yeah ... I can't believe I didn't save it before hitting post. All I got was "Page Expired" and an hour's work was lost! Here's the quick recall version ....

Well, one morning I got to sit at the Dr's office. Not what you think. Many of the hunting blinds on Eric's ranch have affectionate names given by the hunters who build and use them. One such example was an fine ... overbuilt ... cozy blind complete with swivel office chair and sliding windows ... perched on a nice elevated deck out of rattlesnake reach.

I sat and watched, in comfort, as a deer came in at pre-dawn. A Doe. Over the next several minutes, the doe grew horns in the advancing light, and ended up with 8 points before the sun was up! But, that wasn't the monster 12 point rumored to be at this location. I let him walk. He came and went, as he was joined by does and fawns.

Eventually, I noticed a dark figure advancing from the right. He came in and took over. Engraged the previous buck - they tussled with locked horns. The first buck yielded. The second gained my respect, and a bullet from my muzzle loader!

This was the second shot since cleaning. Should be fine. Just a bit more difficult to load. I took my time. The shot seemed perfect. The world disappeared in nasty smoke which lingered. Thru same, I saw my dark form jump, and exit stage right. I marked his exit path between trees and behind shrubs. We found a game trail there, well used. It topped the hill, and split into about 6 paths. Nuts. We found no blood.

This cone point 105 grain slug should have gained about 250-300 fps, at least, over the 189 grain which went 1,225. If I did get the assumed 1,525 fps ... this would yield a min. of 542 fpe. It may have been faster, but we had no chrono, and this scrounged ff powder was unknown.

I decided to proof the shot by duplicating it on a target. I brushed and reloaded, with effort. Set up for the shot ... pow ... cap fired only. I went through this several times. It was fouled. I probed with wire. Pow, pow. No ignition. The gun was made to disassemble easily.. I took it down and removed the cap nipple. Probed and cleaned. Reassembled. Pow, pow. No ignition. I took the gun down to the last molecule. Pulled the barrel - loaded breech and all. Found a layer of packed ash and a plugged percussion channel. Cleaned, reassembled all, reloaded.

Eric had hung a feed sack at the positon of the deer at 63 yards lasered. I lined up for my 13th attempt at a second shot. BANG!!!! It worked. I told Eric I'd used the 12 o'clock position of the ring around the deer head on the bag. For all the frustration, and 12 misfires, this wasn't a bad placement ...

a_12o'clockhit.jpg

We found my shot there at the A/N intersection in the word - "Cleaned". I know I hit that dominate buck well.

I wanted to see where the slug might have gone afterwards. I traced a line, in my mind's eye, from the Drs' office window, thru the bag/deer, to the ground. I hunched down some, and lined that up ... decided a particular rock about 10 by 14" looked to be in that path about 15 yards behind the deer's stance. It was upended and presented a flat surface to my imagined bullet's path. As I got down on my knee, I told Eric that I'd think it should have hit this rock here ....

Eric was walking away. I moved in to examine the rock closely.

a_rocksplit.jpg

Hey Eric! What did I just say? hahah. Here was the bullet strike and the shattered rock. Fresh cracks radiating from the strike.

One strike only. I think the other is in that deer. I sure hope someone finds the carcass. For some odd reason, I'd even taken my knife and scribbed a "B" on the base of the slug when I loaded it. Perhaps I just "Knew". hummm. Hope it shows up. In the pre-light ... I'd seen this buck as the dominate fighter, thicker, darker, but my 4X scope could not show me the details of the rack. I want to know. Would love to recover it.

rudolph

Gary
December 15, 2011 02:29PM
Don't I know the feeling! HOpe the biggin' shows up. It's good to hear that the game was moving while you where there. Can't wait to here the rest of the tales. I'm surprised we haven't heard and seen some Food Channel reviews of the cafe/smokehouse etc. I'm sure you've got some.

Kent
December 15, 2011 03:00PM
Hi Gary,

Where's Marty, when you most need him?
December 16, 2011 02:03AM
Hello Julio,

Marty might get in on it yet. I think there is a special group hunt coming up for the people who hunt at Llano throughout the year. I'm hoping one of them finds the deer. I believe at least one might have some tracking dogs. I'd love to recover that buck.

Gary
December 15, 2011 11:05PM
Nice forensics. Sorry about the lost buck...
December 16, 2011 04:43PM
Great hunt story Gary, bad luck not to find that buck. I feel your pain!
Seems you had some adventures while in Texas, keen to hear some more.....
Regards
Neil
December 16, 2011 08:02PM
Hello Neil,

I did have some adventures. No doubt.

Since I've been back, my time has been consumed with this miserible estate nightmare yet again. It never ends. I can sincerely say ... "I miss Texas!" haha

I'll post some more things. I appreciate your comments. Nice to get a few people involved.

Gary
December 17, 2011 12:16AM
Gary, I miss Texas too...lol. Isn't the food and hunting great?

Any who, sorry about the deer. That's a bummer.
December 17, 2011 02:17AM
Hi Faz,
I did enjoy the food. Really loved a BBQ place we ate the first night, near Eric's home. That was great. They had a blackberry cobbler that was worth the flight alone. Haha.
I had some smoked turkey that was great too.
I liked the small cafe and diners. That's my style
Maybe the deer will show yet. It will need somebody else's good luck to close the loop

Thanks for the comment.
winking smiley

Gary
Iphone
December 21, 2011 09:05PM
Dogs had a go at it this weekend with no luck at all. Marty in fact even had a look. Not a drop of blood. That being said, I think it's clear what we have here; Zombie Deer.
December 21, 2011 10:12PM
You know ... That deer was sort of phasing in and out. Should have tipped me off

Well, if Marty had a go at it, then I yield. Must have missed.

Or .... That deer ALREADY had a hole thru it ... That I duplicated! Hey, I've done it before!!!

Haha

Thanks for looking for me. Bummer my black powder gamble didn't pay off.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021