Re: Texas Memories

Texas Memories
December 16, 2011 02:29AM
a_Agave_plant.jpg

Jules Verne?

a_blackberry_cobbler.jpg

I can smell it now ....

a_Chert_flakes.jpg

Eric says this rock is not native to the area. Therefore; these flakes were caused by native Americans chipping what we usually call "flint". These are Chert ... one of several rocks that will flake in predictable manners. There were actual trade routes which carried these stones from Mexico to Canada ... ten thousand years ago. Some points made from stone only available in one section of lower Texas have been found in Canada. A long bow shot indeed. I picked these up from an area known to have been inhabited by a long term native camp. At the same time, Eric walked the other direction and picked up an arrow head. THAT's when I knew, for sure, that the Gary luck was still working ... hahahah.

a_molten_rock.jpg

This six foot tall rock exhibits pockmarks all over it that looked like you threw stones into soupy clay and it splashed outward.

a_habitat.jpg

THIS is why I didn't find my deer. If they don't start leaving blood in the first 50 yards or so ... it's tough without dogs.

a_Gargoyle.jpg

A worry project I was working on when sitting down seems like a good idea ... Crown stag Gargoyle handle for a wire damascus hunting blade.

Gary
December 16, 2011 05:05AM
Gary,

I'm glad you're bringing this up. I wanted to comment on the rock that caught the slug but didn't want to sidetrack the thread. The rock that caught the slug looked like a piece of underwater coral. Really striking.

There is some amazing scenery there.

Lon
December 16, 2011 07:57PM
Hello Lon,

I found myself drawn to it. It's more than the sum of it's parts. Strictly, it's cactus and sage and juniper. But, as we tried to find the deer I'd shot, we wandered thru valleys that were quite interesting and it felt peaceful. Seemed we could have been in any time over thousands of years ... it would be the same.

Gary
December 16, 2011 05:06PM
Great to see the attention to detail on the Texas landscape. There are very few friendly pieces of foliage. The skill of arrow hunting, Eric relates to any kind of hunting. Once you know what to look for the seem to jump out at you. My eye is not even close to there. Seems Gary has the nack.

Kent
December 19, 2011 06:03AM
Those are some nice photos there, sure looks like some rugged country. I think that "Jules Verne" plant is a blue agave, the source of tequila.drinking smiley
December 19, 2011 03:40PM
You are correct Sean. That is blue Agave. I nearly wrote a country song just looking at it. Eric dragged me away as I was trying to rhyme something with "tractor".

BTW... since I returned, I've been working on your order and a couple other things.

Have not forgotten you, in the freezing darkness there. Hang on ... Help is coming ...

Gary
December 20, 2011 06:44PM
sweet!smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021