Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A dreary day for shooting but a good day for cleaning...

A dreary day for shooting but a good day for cleaning...
March 01, 2009 10:39PM
..airguns that is. It never got beyond dark and dreary here today. Finally March decided to come in with snow. And it is still snowing...

I decided to sight in the Maverick with .25 ball ammo at low power. I didn't pull out the chrony but just dialed out the power adjuster and then adjusted fill pressure and fiddled around until I hit a good balance point for ten shots that seemed to be in the curve and all hit at the same elevation. I got the gun where I wanted it (2400 psi fill, 10 shots with no drop) and decided she needed a clean up. It has been quite awhile since I cleaned up the Maverick and the brass was pretty tarnished.

I pulled out the Never Dull and got to work. I love that Never Dull! I'm pretty sure the can I have will last the rest of my life. I could not have used more than a couple cotton balls worth of the stuff and I got all the brass cleaned on all three of the Barnes guns. After cleaning the metal, I buffed them all with some sray wax and took some pictures because I know how you guys like pictures! smiling bouncing smiley

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m4.jpg
m5.jpg
That's the Maverick. I bought this gun from Gary about three years ago shortly after learning about his products. The gun actually started out with a tap loader for .25 round ball and then was modified to the current configuration. When I contacted Gary and told him I was interested in a back yard friendly gun he just happened to have this one in stock. Timing is everything! The boys and I have put several thousands of rounds through this gun. No kidding, if this were a powder burner, it would need a barrel replacement. It can go higher but I prefer to shoot it at 50 FPE and below. The normal high range will produce 7 shots in the heart of the curve at 49-50 FPE with 59gr Pepper Grinder slugs. The ball at the same setting will make about 40 FPE. Right now, I've set the gun to shoot ball at less power. It was too darn cold to set up the chronograph and do a proper set-up so I relied on memory (I can remember numbers but not names or dates!). I adjusted the power knob down to low-medium and filled to about 2600. That got me close and further adjustment and reducing the fill to about 2400 gets me 10 shots that are dead even in elevation at 43 yards which is the distance from the bench just inside the back door to the target wall. Then we had a little competition. I won but Chris came close and Timmy just barely snatched third place from AJ. The gun is perfect for this kind of shooting. At low power the shroud keeps the gun down to a muffled click/pop kind of sound that wouldn't interupt the average conversation.
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
That's the Prarie III. Gary let me pick this one up at the shop and do the testing just before the Cup o' Joe shoot. This gun has a barrel that is a sister to the barrel insert for the Woodsman. There are still differences even though the barrels are nearly identical. The Prairie for instance, likes to shoot the Pepper Grinder slugs round nose forwards and the Woodsman likes them shot as a wadcutter. That's just a little nuance though as both will put them in the same hole at 43 yards. The Prairie is a super adjustable gun with three different hammer spring pre-load positions built in and the ability to make use of different fill pressures. If you put a huge slug in, set it to high and fill to 3600 you can see 275-280 FPE. Set it to low and fill to the same pressure with a light slug and less than 80 can be seen. Right now, I have the gun set on low and it is hooked to the regulator and set to 3200 PSI. This gives me around 100 FPE and very quiet operation. I can shoot it from indoors without even considering hearing protection etc. It is just a pleasure to shoot at this power level as it is quiet and very forgiving of operator technique. At 100-125 FPE this gun is easy to shoot very accurately and can reach out to long range with just a bit more holdover. At high power, the gun demands a bit more from the shooter as recoil and how the shooter controls it becomes a factor. If you have not seen the "recoil" video, go check it out! I used this gun at the Cup o' Joe shoot to get the best 50 yard group. Too bad I didn't know the gun as well then as I do now. I could have cut the group size by two thirds! At 50 yards there is no excuse to shoot above a half inch group with this gun.
w2.jpg
w3.jpg
w4.jpg
That's the Woodsman. I've had this gun for a couple of years now. I bought the gun from Gary because apparently nobody else wanted it and it was gathering dust in a bin! I didn't even ask about it until long after Gary had gone hunting with it and even longer after he had posted its performance. I guess folks weren't ready for a smoothbore at the time or wanted a different version. The fools! Ha! It took me awhile but I thought the big smoothie combined with an insert barrel might be neat. It turns out that this is the most accurate gun I've ever shot. The .32 insert works so well that you really have to see it to appreciate it. Or, you can just go look in the Trophy groups forum! With the insert in the gun it is an awesome 100 yard shooter. Yes, there are more accurate guns out there but they are match grade powder burners. When it comes to airguns shooting cast slugs, I've yet to see anything beat this gun. Back when we were developing the color coating for slugs I shot 30 out of 31 slugs into the same hole at 43 yards. Sub-MOA groups at 100 yards are routine and the real challenge is at 1/2 MOA which the gun has done several times. Right now, the gun has the insert out as I need Gary to do a little work on it. That's OK though because I love shooting the big slugs and shot shells! The favorite slug is the 545gr (avg) that groups remarkably well for not spinning! It is not unusual for two shots off a fill to be touching at 43 yards. The gun is sighted in at 65-70 yards right now with slugs and the steel critters Gary made don't stand a chance at that range. I really need to go shoot a hog with this gun. I'm not going to adjust the scope until I do! The shot shells are just plain fun too. At 30 yards and below they are very effective against birds. I'm waiting for a flock of starlings to show up... I think the gun is making about 425 FPE as it sits right now. I think there might be more in it if the internal porting was opened up some but that is not going to happen. The current power is plenty and there is no way I'm going to put the .32 performance at risk! I can hit any deer sized killzone with lethal power at 70 yards with the slugs and shoot sub-MOA all day long with the insert, there's no way I'm going to upset That applecart. smiling smiley
c4.jpg
c2.jpg
The gun cabinet, full except for the Prairie which is on the bench. The guns on the right are the "ready guns." Those just happen to be there because they get the most use. Naturally, the Woodsman and Maverick are on the right. I've also got an RWS 54 in there that is set-up for a russian night vision sight. It doesn't get much use but it is fun and accurate. The FX Monsoon is on the right side as well. It is a very accurate shooter and fun to shoot. You can take that gun and put 12 rounds into a spinner in just a few seconds or you can nail a squirrel at 70 yards if you want. Besides a couple orings, it has been trouble free. We keep the Benjamin Discovery on the right side as well. I bought that gun for Timmy as he showed an interest in shooting and he has really enjoyed it. He used it to nail 5 targets for every one an adult shot at Cup o' Joe and at home he will shoot and then pump it up without complaint. I kinda wish I had bought the gun through Mac 1 as it is not as accurate as I would wish but it's not bad. Oh, if anyone needs a gun cabinet like mine, let me know. I can pass along the website of the guy that made this one. He does really nice custom work and the prices are pretty great after you compare them to a furniture store!

Well, there you have it. Happiness is a case full of clean guns! I like how the flash really lights up the Woodsman stock. For not being highly figured it really plays the light nice from a bunch of angles. The Prairie is out on the bench for use but there is still room in the case for a couple more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 06:40PM by Jerry.
March 01, 2009 11:56PM
Room for more? Did you say .... more??? haha. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nice job on detailing the guns. All Bristol shape! Good man.

No snow here yet (2 1/2 hours from Jerry ... inland). It's actually very calm and mild right now. But they are saying we're supposed to get hammered tonight.

I have to go to buy some steel in the morning. Hope it's not too lousy out.

Thanks for the post. Nice to see the guns all looking tidy. And, I know they've all been used a bunch. Doesn't hurt them, does it. smileys with beer

Gary
March 02, 2009 12:20AM
No snow on the dark side? I'd figured you were covered over by now. We've got 2-3" already and forcasts are for 4-10" more tonight! If the forcast is right that will be more snow than the rest of the Winter brought all together. Yeah. A.J. has just reminded me for the 43rd time that there will be no school tomorrow...

The guns do look good don't they? I've got thousands of rounds through the Maverick and thousands more through the Woodsman. About the only wear I can find is where the stocks are a little shinier where I grip them. Other than that, they look brand new. The Prairie has at least a thousand rounds through it but I can't be sure it's up to multiple thousands yet. It does see a lot of action though.
March 02, 2009 02:32AM
Central MD here is supposed to get anywhere from 4 to 10 inches depending on who you believe. We've got an inch already and a quarter cord of firewood at the ready, with both wood burners blazing in all their glory. hot smiley

I love the snow. The woods look absolutely beautiful when it covers everything.

Guns look great Jerry. I need to get me some Never Dull for the bolt handle on the Delta. The Scout has an antique finish on its brass parts so not sure it would do anything there . . .

-- Jim
March 02, 2009 02:37AM
We're up over 6" of snow here already. Yup, it all looks beautiful. No school tomorrow, all the food in the house gets devoured, mud and slop everywhere, lost gloves, shouting, it's going to be ....beautiful.
March 02, 2009 01:57AM
Beautiful job Jerry,

Hey just in case someone is reading that wasn't at the Cup O Joe to shoot those fine pieces, how about a caption giving caliber, energy (depends, I know), birthday and some trivia... turn ons, turn offs etc wink

I bet others may even chime in. Come on guys some of these guns already have a history, let's hear it.

All right I'll start, Hey Paul didn't one of these guns help you win Cup O Joe by splitting a card? I know you'll have some time to reply despite making the world's largest snowman tomorrow. grinning smiley

Kent
March 02, 2009 02:58AM
Hi Kent,
I didn't caption the rifle pics because I figured I had already done that in other posts here. Maybe I haven't. I'll go back later and add some data. BTW, Paul actually used the Carnivore to split that card. I think it was the Carnivore anyway. I remember we all used the same gun to try the shot.
March 02, 2009 04:26PM
Nice collection!
March 02, 2009 08:36PM
Looking good Jerrysmileys with beer
Looks like you are having far too good a time whilst homebound!!
Just think of all the cool videos you could be doing in the snow if the camera wasn't busted!(We all know you have no other life than to entertain us!!)
March 02, 2009 09:02PM
Paul,

It's true, there's precious little reason to get out of bed were it not for the opportunity to provide you guys with entertainment. But, pointing that out takes a little of the shine off the apple eh? rolling happy smiley If you're not careful I might have to reevaluate my whole purpose in life.

I just figured I'd get my prettiest rifles all shined up and spiffy to shame you guys into doing the same and posting some pictures. It's not working. But at least the seed has been planted. I fully expect someone will soon succumb to the pressure and get out a gun and camera and make a post! BTW, haven't you been messing about with valves and such? Let's hear it. Good, bad or inconclusive we are interested in your airgun adventure/ordeal/experiment! (You don't have to admit the missus shot the good groups if you don't want to!laughing again)

I really miss the camera! The shots with shot shells into the snow today were actually pretty cool. Oh, since then, I got the Prairie sighted back in for the home range of 43 yards. Yes, I shot through the tunnel created by the Woodsman. Seemed to be the thing to do...justified wasting those shot shells! eye rolling smiley Funny thing, I was sighting in and when I got close and actually saw my impact I thought "that hole seems way too big." It took a moment to realize that I was on 50 power!

I got a few (24) shots off with the Monsoon yesterday too. I just felt like doing some rapid fire. That might have made a good video too. I put 12 rounds into a large spinner paddle in about 3-4 seconds. Timmy was watching and wondering why the paddle didn't swing normally. The fact is that the paddle would swing back and as it came forward it would get hit with the next pellet which stopped it. When I was done the paddle had a bunch of nice fresh lead smears.

So, 4 guns shot in two days. Not bad, hopefully the camera gets back soon so I can do some videos!
March 04, 2009 03:30PM
Nutz. Hit something wrong and lost the whole post!

Kent ... I don't thing Jerry has gotten back here. Some details from my feeble brain ...

Maverick is a 25 caliber power adjust from about 20-70 fpe if I recall correctly. Butt reservoir inside the rear stock. Cocks forward. Bolt action. Fully moderated - very quiet. Unique design - very short carbine with alot of power.

The Woodsman is a 62 smooth bore. Very accurate with Barnes slugs out to about 70 yards or so. Loves the big 550 grain slug. The gun runs about 450 fpe with that I think. Nice light gun for the power. Very fun and versitile with shot shells which Jerry and his Sons make for it. On top of that ... the gun has a 32 caliber rifled insert with it's own bolt action. Replaces the 62 bolt - looks like it was made that way. The format is deadly waaaaaay out. In fact - some of our tightest ever 32 groups at 100 yards were with this gun and it's 32 insert. The bright work is color anodized aluminum billet. Stock is Mahogany that just keeps getting more of a glow each year.

The Prairie 3 is a bench rifle. 32 caliber that will make about 280 fpe. It's a tack driver waaaay out there. Color anodized billet. Power adjust down, down to about 50 fpe. Silent at that power range with it's fully shrouded system. Color laminated stocks. Jerry put a mega scope on there Nikko Sterling I think it's spelled. Amazing scope. Makes a gun that's just pure fun to shoot. Shoot the sneakers off a fly.

Jerry's put a ton of lead thru them. They look like new. This is what you do with your guns if you want them to have an immediate buyer at any time. He's not interested, but ... since the guns are known all over ... he could sell any or all of them in a heartbeat. It's such a mistake to hide guns like this away. We're a special small community. People need to know the guns - see them - become familiar with what they can do. Something that's been in a closet for 10 years and is unknown - with an owner who wants nothing to do with sharing the guns ... creates a situation later where nobody knows the gun or the owner ... can can't trust either. Everybody knows Jerry and his rifles here. That's the ticket to investing in this manner.

Gary
March 04, 2009 06:47PM
Hi Gary,
You shamed me into updating the post with captions per Kent's post. I can't remember or don't know the "born on dates" but I did try to capture some operator impressions...
March 05, 2009 01:14AM
So.... I'm following the forums and I see the same people with the same Barnes guns posting pics and videos and such, but where's the rest of them? Do folks wait years to get one of these things just to stuff it in a closet somewhere and forget about it?
I've always had it in for the Chaparral... where are they? Who's got them? Don't you shoot it?

I hereby promise that if one of you would be kind enough to send me one of Gary's masterpieces I'll shoot the crap out of it and post some pics for ya!

Scott
March 05, 2009 01:25AM
Well, that's a mighty generous offer Scott. ;?)

There's a bunch of Tundra, Bison, Rangers, Air Canes, Prairies, pistols, carbines, shot guns ..... take your pick. If you can find them. You bet - I thought I'd get started in business ... and then the customers would run with the constant sharing of the pcs. But ... 9/10 go into hiding. Makes it look like I've never made a thing. But ... they're out there. scared

Gary
March 05, 2009 01:39AM
Well, after Scott is taken care of... I'll be happy to shoot anyone else's Barnes that needs a workout and post! smiling bouncing smiley Really! I'd be happy to oblige. I have proven I can clean guns after all. grinning smiley
March 05, 2009 04:07PM
I wish I could join the club sad smiley
Alas, due to the laws here, I have to re-new my licence every 5 years, without gaurantee of getting it back. It would be devestating to have to give it up, in a hurry as you have either sell or destroy your guns in short order, so probably would sell at a loss.
I don't know what kind of money these beauties go for, ( is disscussing the cost of these guns considered vulgar here?) but I wouldn't take that gamble....
March 05, 2009 05:03PM
Many of the pages off of the main Catalog page have the last price at which a given gun was offered for sale when the ledger was still open. I'll have to defer to Gary on future pricing.

-- Jim
March 05, 2009 05:12PM
Jim Wrote:

> I'll have to defer to Gary on future pricing.
>
> -- Jim

Which begs the question: When will Gary reopen the ledger?

Even when he does, I still have the same question that paralzyed me just before he closed the ledger.. which one to get?
March 05, 2009 05:13PM
No Pablo ... it's not vulgar here. For the time, skill, and effort spent ... I keep hearing they're cheap. They average around $7,500 US. Start around $5,000 .... and some go over $10,000 US. People usually pay for them over several years thru my previous interest free ledger. Without fail, everyone has gotten more than they ordered. And, though I've been very far behind in production (due to misjudging the required time to make the work, health issues, and just "life"), I've always held the price on ever accepted ledger order.

Gary
March 05, 2009 05:10PM
Don't forget to add in the extras. Dory
March 05, 2009 05:14PM
If you go by Cajun Justice's method you can't go wrong. Dory
March 05, 2009 05:53PM
Shucks ... Kent has to ask his wife to shoot her Victory! Poor fella. winking smiley

Their "method" is a great one. You bet. That would be to join the ledger quite a few seperate times, pay on their accounts thru the years, and then wait just like everyone else. Kent's Yukon and Kelli's Hoss slots are still overdue and waiting. What they've taken del. on, they've used and shared - just as they said they would. They've traveled to quite a few shoots I've sponsored, and brought their guns to share. They've even brought their family. Much appreciated. They've sponsored a shoot themselves - and let the guests use their Barnes guns! Much appreciated. Even invited an old broken down airgunsmith to go hunting! fudd Now that takes the cake. Never grumbled about time, but showed friendship and genuine concern for my health maintenance. That's the way to do it. Along the way ... buy a used Barnes or two, when you find one offered. And ... if I make a new style of gun to go hunting ... don't let me take it back home. take a bow Have their children offer respect, and even give a hug to an old craftsman. That'll get me every time. Great method. I highly recommend it! winking smiley

Gary
March 05, 2009 06:01PM
I've seen the amount of work that goes into the simpilest of things.
Bespoke work commands a premium.

About as much as I thought !!

take a bow
March 05, 2009 11:50PM
Gary,

You made me all misty eyed.

I love you too bud!smileys with beer

Gary knows I fall off the planet every once in a while, as we all do with other obligations etc. Then sometimes I get on a roll and shoot the whole cabinet WITH PICS!!! This is one of the shooting weeks, hence lots of posting. A Chaparral request makes me want to shoot something, thanks Scott. I've got a plan for a pistol round up, watch for it!

Jerry,

Great job with the info details. Some of my guns have their birthdays inside the stock with sig. I know you've had the stocks off for cleaning, right? You gave lots of info that I wasn't aware of and I thought I was keeping up!take a bow

Kent
born on date...
March 06, 2009 08:20AM
That "born on date" thing is gonna get complicated.

Is it "born" when you finalize the design, or when you build the reciever, or when you first assemble all the metal parts, or when it's rough stocked and test-fired, or when it's fully dialed-in with the last coat of oil, or crated and shipped, or...???more confused

These things are like elephants. There's a long gestation period, but you've really got something when it's all finished!
Re: born on date...
March 06, 2009 02:43PM
Looked at this thread again, and thought of something regarding the Maverick.

The frame of this rifle is one pc. It runs along under the barrel, and then down thru the buttstock. You may recall that the orig. Scout rifle was the first to use this configuration. The Scout had a mitered joint at the bend, and a couple of weld buttons there. As I often do, my ideas morph as time goes on. I had an order for a Scout rifle. By now, I thought it would be nice to clean up that miter joint by welding the whole thing smooth, grinding and mirror polishing it. By then, also, I'd gotten very impressed by the method of "mortise and tenon" for joining the top and bottom of my guns. I'd developed a method of drilling billet towers, and installing internal O rings in the joints there. The top of the gun was thus threaded thru the hole, and offered a lighter gun with dramatic strength. I saw it as a nice improvement.

I made the Southwest Scout in this new manner. That one, I put a single wood stock on, but they will take seperate front and back stocks too (as did this Maverick). Well, while working to complete the Scout order ... I contacted the ledger customer and told him of the improvements ... no extra charge. And, he responded that he would prefer it to to be just like the origonal picture. No problem ... but I'd have to start from scratch again on that.

So ... I had all the work invested in these parts - and the gun was nearly complete. I had no order for one like this at the time. Also had an idea for a new ball breech I wanted to try. Therefore; ... the Maverick came along. I put it on the daily briefing. Put up pages about it. And, that's how the timing worked out for Jerry. Every gun has a story. smiling smiley

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021