Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Steel Fox

Steel Fox
December 31, 2011 03:14PM
a_steel_fox.jpg

Thursday afternoon, I had an appt. in town. Jerry was coming up Friday. I figured we needed something different to shoot. I had some cut-offs of 3/16" plate steel. Sawed out a few quick segments and welded them together. Made up this handy, dandy steel fox target!

a_Fox_splats.jpg

Glad I did. It took a pounding all day. By the end, it was getting a Taco shape and needs a truck to roll it back flat! hahah.

We found that with the leg on a hinge behind the kill zone, it would stand up to pounding with Jerry's Woodsman 32 insert and long Pepper Grinder slugs. It would stand kill zone shots with my Orion and the smaller 485 grain slug. Jerry's Yukon with his 577 grain slug would flatten it at any yardage. My Orion with my 600 grain would flatten it too. His full scale Yukon still has about 100 foot pounds on me though.

a_106yds_600grns.jpg

Here's my 600 grain slug at 106 yards. And, that's the slug I should have been shooting in Texas. Live and learn. You don't know now, what you'll need to know tomorrow. haha. Figured I better get in my meager contributions to the show first, before Jerry steals the whole show later ...

a_Jerry_tree.jpg

Jerry!

just kidding ... hehehe. This tree is the only thing he did not knock over yesterday ...

a_night_sky.jpg

We stayed all day. Good day.

Gary
December 31, 2011 04:59PM
Looks like you guys had a great day! And I think you pretty much killed that fox not lookin' good
Gary, that 106 yard group from your Orion looks tiny...what did it measure?
Happy New Year
Neil
December 31, 2011 06:46PM
Hi Neil,

That was just the first volley on the fox. That was NOTHING to the lead it absorbed during the day. hahaha.

Looked just like a fox standing way out in the field. We also had a wooden one made from scrap plywood pcs. on a previous trip. I always want something to spice up the field of targets. I have some I made for the first Standing Stone (rent a place to store them about 10 miles from here. Probably cost me an absurd amount over the years to keep them. But they have this large footprint each. Probably a trailer's worth of stuff and I just don't have room for them anywhere on the property). Therefore; I'm target poor here, when I want to go shoot. And running and getting them, and taking them back ... it a pain. So; show up at the estate sale after I've spent 30 grand to store them for 25 years ... hummmm OH ... nice job Neil ... bringing up my storage facility and how silly that is ... why me hahahah

Gary
December 31, 2011 08:31PM
Neat target, looks like it got used pretty hard. Good choice of animals, if you just let it rust outside in the rain it's the perfect color!

That cloverleaf at 106 is definately a wall-hanger target, don't get much better than that!

Happy New Years, by the way. smileys with beer
January 01, 2012 08:16PM
Ohhhhhhh MY, thats an AWESOME group guys at 106 yards. Also love the RED FOX. Awesome stuff once again from you to trouble makers.

GB, isn't it funny how fast time really goes by when you go out for a shoot. I went out yesterday and got there at 7 oclock in the morning and the next thing i know, it's getting dark and cool. I look at my watch and it was 4 oclock and i still didn't do HALF of what i wanted to.
January 01, 2012 08:22PM
dont worry bout the fox ,,,, look what you did to the tree
January 26, 2012 05:48PM
it is verrryyyyy gooodddd. superrrrrrrrrrr
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021