Larry!!
December 13, 2015 03:56AM
Saw your name.

How was the ship??

Gary
Re: Larry!!
December 20, 2015 11:44PM
Hey Gary,

I took a boat from Manila to Dumaguete Philippines. I took the Ship because I like boats and ships and I had 500 pound limit on my bags meaning I could bring my tools and maybe a small anvil. ha ha ..

The trip was set back a day because of a large low pressure and after it the water between the islands was really like a small lake on a calm day other than the hum of the diesels (which is music to me) it was like sleeping at home.

Food was killer running 24 hours a day. The trip was only 25 hours and by air is 1:15 min. I loved it. Everyone in a private cabin got $150 usd in chips to use in the always open gambling deck. Free Chips cannot be cashed at the counter so I sold mine for $100 usd cash. I should write a book how to win every time on a cruise ship. hmmmmmmm?

I am doing an audio engineer job for a large college here and I am staying in a dorm but I have my own room, bath, but the net is really bad because the kids are all playing some online video game 24/7, so when they study or sleep is your guess. Maybe at 20 you don't need much but that was so long ago I forgot.

I picked up two small club jobs to do during the time off till Jan 5 next year. These jobs are one new sound system for a 500 seat rock bar, that has real JBL speakers and a real (not made in China) 24 channel audio board with Peavey power amps and real JBL, speakers and Monitors. I drew up the system in less than an Hour and with one helper who has 4 thumbs I should be able to install it in the 3 days since the bar is not open. Test night should be fun training a first timer on a 24 channel board with 4 E.Q.'s, Delay, and limiters. Don't ask about monitor mix. ha ha

The other job is a simple background music job for an outdoor eatery with 4 zones so that is really easy. It is computer based point and click crap.

So I tried to send when I first got here but now I have it figured out.

Be safe,
Merry Christmas to all.

Larry (lost in the Philippines and loving it)
December 21, 2015 12:19AM
Good job Larry,

Sounds like you figured all the angles.

Thanks for the post. Hope it keeps going well. You have a gift for sniffing out interesting jobs.

Have a good job and safe trip back.

Gary
December 21, 2015 09:44AM
Larry
Sounds like a working vacation for you . Glad you got it all planned out it advance . The Philippines from what I've seen on TV is a geographical beauty . I also see the new Miss universe is from there . I love my JBL speakers and pioneer sound system . I even have a set of mitsubushi towers speakers for that quadrophonic sound .
Good luck with your work there and have a happy holiday .

Thanks
Kurt
December 21, 2015 03:07PM
Kurt,

I didn't know you were an Audiophile! Boy, you must have enjoyed seeing my shop system of old Walmart and odd car speakers - lovingly taped together with miles of various sized speaker wire. nowthatIthink. I am often amazed that my amplifier/one disc CD changer doesn't just refuse to push music out into that jungle network of odds and ends.

Hey, YOU just won Larry's heart! On the other hand, Larry might pass out at the thought of my desecration of all things Audio. At least I admit the problem. It's a start.

winking smiley

Gary
December 21, 2015 07:05PM
Gary
That's why you can't send and recieve text to miss Kelly in a timely fashion . You got to many 12 volt speakers ! Hoho probably hooked up with romex !
I was a big Stones, ledzepplin , and Beatles fan . When I pulled out an album to show jr the pics and grafics ... It happened to be Rolling Stones ( sticky fingers) with the real zipper in the cover . Then I had to show him some Beatles taped in mono ! BQ ( before quadrophonic ) wow those were the days .

PS. The white album is actually white !

Thanks
Kurt
December 21, 2015 09:01PM
Hey Kurt,

What's wrong with Romex? whistling. The rest is hooked up with copper water pipe. Hey - copper is copper!

I had a great 8 track in my 67 Fairlane.

Gary
December 21, 2015 03:33PM
Gary
I did show my son my CD collection . They are black and 12" across . They spin at 33-1/3 rev's per min but you can't play them in your car .So back when I bought it 2 cassette tape player was the bomb !!

Thanks
Kurt
December 21, 2015 04:36PM
If you ask a kid these days about their sound system they'll usually either show you their ugly overpriced headphones or pull out a tiny little battery powered speaker box about a big as a coke can. Doesn't seem to matter how teeny and tinny the sound is as long as you can plug an ipod into it. When I was their age it was all about power; amps that weighed as much as a loaded toolbox and speakers big enough to hide a beer keg in. If you didn't have a system that could go higher and lower than human ears can handle it was considered junk. Cases and cases of CDs too, plus the cassette deck, plus the turntable for those "black CDs". (good one, Kurt!)

At this point I suppose it's mandatory that I go on and on about how much the music of today sucks, and much of it does of course. That said, I think the main reason why REAL sound systems have almost vanished is because today all the music comes from MP-3s or other digital formats that compress everything down flat as a pancake. No high highs, almost no big bass, everything is squeezed into the middle with the fiddly bits that stick out just amputated. Don't need a super-duper sound system for that, it's all tailored for headphones anyway.

Probably for the best, since if all those kids were playing the crappy music of today at yesteryears volume all us old fogeys would be yelling and threatening them to turn it down anyway. laughing again
December 21, 2015 09:09PM
The thing I can't take is the repetition. One three word phrase repeated 150 times ...... each verse!!!!!

So little popular .... anything .... requires talent anymore. Just me?

Gary
December 22, 2015 12:08PM
Hey guys,

Hello Kurt I will show my age, in 1966 I bought a new Wollensak 5280 reel to reel tape recorder on sale for $205 dollars of my own money I saved mowing lawns and doing odd jobs. It was great, it was stereo, I could read a book by all the dial lights, I could heat my room from the tubes and transformers, or keep a cup of tea warm by sitting it on top. Now that is a great tape machine. It had the two detachable speakers and it could be carried by two people. I miss it still.

Sigh,

Larry
December 22, 2015 02:32PM
Oh yeah?!!

Well I had two guys who sat in front of wet clay tablets. If you talked, they'd press a series of triangles into the clay, which they could then read back to you! hourglass

winktongue sticking out smiley

Gary
December 23, 2015 01:28PM
Gary,

You were safe unless they baked the clay and mailed it to the Guys with all those letters instead of names.

Scary really.

Get well.

Larry
December 23, 2015 07:52PM
Hey guys
Larry in 1966 my turntable had a string on the side of it . I think the brand was a See &Say ! You just pull the string and it would play for you . I was 4 yrs old ! My older sister did have a reel to reel though but I wasn't allowed in her room .

Thanks
Kurt
December 23, 2015 07:13PM
Gary probably still has his cats whisker receiver tucked away somewhere. jammin'

I tell you, once we got away from spark-gap transmitters it all went downhill from there...
December 24, 2015 05:13AM
rotorhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I tell you, once we got away from spark-gap
> transmitters it all went downhill from there...

That is a quote that would make a great T-Shirt for Audio guys. A great quote really make me laugh.

It is Christmas Eve here 2;11 PM Marry Christmas to all. I am a bit ahead of the USA.

Larry
December 24, 2015 05:53AM
Merry Christmas Larry!

Thanks.

I hope your marathon movie mania is going well. Couldn't share your chosen topic - artists - everything is real to artists. Nerves are wired in series. electrified

I finished a gift for my grandson tonight. Got a couple touches on two others in the am, then it's here!! Christmas.

Be safe. Enjoy. Thanks for checking in Larry,

Gary
December 24, 2015 09:31AM
Gary,

Thanks, I hope you are getting better.

Been watching Walking Dead for 3 hours and I already hate *#*&% Zombies. Locked my door twice, got a kitchen knife by the bed, so it did not effect me at all. ha ha ..

Merry Christmas to you both.

Larry
December 25, 2015 08:39PM
Don't want to be in Manilla when the zombie apocolypse hits. Or anywhere in the big Asian cities, yikes!

Good thing it's all a myth...right?
December 25, 2015 09:36PM
What? Big Asian Cities are a Myth?

stunned
December 26, 2015 09:22AM
Gary,

Good one. There are lots of boats here if that happens I would head for a sailboat. Well looks good on paper anyway.

Have a Zombie free Holiday Season.. I hope.

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021