Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: That 106 yard group

That 106 yard group
January 02, 2012 01:19AM
a_106yds_600grain_62cal.jpg

I looked at it under magnification. It's on one of those Caldwell targets with a vinyl skin - so it's not a perfect target card stock, but judging from the diameter cuts (not the tears) and putting in the center points on a card underneath ... my best estimate is .568" center to center @ 106 yards.

600 Grain Barnes slugs from my Orion 62. Jerry is shooting a previous copy of the same slug. Variation in mold machining technique and individual mold copies. His is dropping at 577 IIRC

Gary
January 02, 2012 01:22AM
a_106yds_600grns.jpg

Previous pic. 3 shot at 106 yards. Measurement taken center to center of the widest two hits.

Gary
January 02, 2012 01:44AM
Awesome group...but does that caliper read .568 or .668 ?

still way under MOA
January 02, 2012 01:48AM
as i look at it again, I see that my eyes are clearly getting older....it's definitely .568

unbelieveable shooting "festive"
January 02, 2012 02:45AM
Thanks Bill,

I was pleased. It was also off of a bi-pod and not off of heavy bench bags. Nice group.

I have another that was at 150 yards. Jerry and I were coming to conclusion that his copy's bullet diameter (being a touch fatter) might be the better fit for my barrel. He gave me three. I used one to get on paper. Then, I moved to a clean area (now knowing the hold-off to print on clean target face). I placed the remaining two in a tight overlapping pattern! Wow. Hey - give me a third for THIS group Jerry. And, he did. At which point, during the delay and speaking to Jerry, my ear cups had slipped ... pushing my glasses all akimbo. I fought back, and managed to smear the lenses. I tried to find a way around the smear ... nothing. I couldn't see thru the scope. Everything had to stop. I took OFF the ear cups. Took OFF the glasses. Jerry gave me a lens cleaner packet. Opened ... cleaned. Resumed ... Glasses on now? All tidy? Ears on now? Good ... shall we proceed with this LIFETIME 150 YARD GROUP NOW???? Yes ... thank you much.

And ... I resumed. I tried to recall my hold-off sight picture from five minutes before. I think I did. I lined up ... but the mood was broken ... the magic had gone. The shot was a bit high ... we think. Actually, we assume the hole in the used target ... high ... had been there. We're not really sure. We actually looked at the target to try to make the third shot go thru the blown out folded back section where the double had printed. All truely world class targets are shot, casually, on a used target face pressed into service for one last group. knucklehead But ... there wasn't anything to go by ... so .... the world shall NEVER KNOW and shall be deprived of a lost glorious group .... nowthatIthink .... but I digress ....

Yes ... this one was a good one too @ .568". That's closing in on one-half MOA.

smileys with beer

Gary
January 02, 2012 09:56AM
AHHHHHH ,,,, STOP STOP STOP
NO MORE
LESS
DESIST
GIVE UP.
right , stop this right now , the lot of ya ,,, print the pics and we will all go wow ,,, and be happy ,,,, 1/2 moa is the new moa , then its how fast how many shots , ill refer back to many of garys grid posts and articles , and now you have falen into the elephant with its tail in its trunk event. and you know what happened there.
so just print the pics and be happy.

by the way , how many shots from a fill ,,,,,,,,,lol
January 02, 2012 05:22PM
I have to say that i am thoroughly impressed with that group.

I just shot my TIKKA T3 in 6.5x55mm this weekend (giving airguns a rest...lol) at 110 yards with a new handload recipe and i just finished pillar bedding it myself (trying to expand my GUNSMITHING skills..lol) and my groups were .500 and .465" which is awesome to say the least BUT, GARY did the same thing with a BB GUN. WOW!

I'm AMAZED GB.
January 02, 2012 05:51PM
It's a fine group by any standards. Heck, I'd be happy with that one at 50 yards with any rifle I own.
January 02, 2012 07:56PM
Too bad the 150 yard group got interupted. I knew it was doomed when the glasses got smudged and everything came to a halt for clean, reset and remember the hold-off... That said, the first two shots at 150 were touching. The gun and slug are clearly performing well, it's a keeper combo! The only thing hold it back is the optics. Maybe an adjustable mount or droop compensated mount will help with those LOOOONG range shots!
January 02, 2012 11:58PM
Amazing shoot Jerry. I've gotten in the habit with ALL my guns of either getting 20 MOA rings that come from Tim at Mac1 or shimming my rear scope ring with .020" aluminum shim or to have a Badger Ordanance Picatinny rail with built in 20 MOA installed on my guns. Any of those above methods will take you out pretty far.
Anonymous User
January 03, 2012 08:28PM
Soon it will be just one hole...............
January 03, 2012 09:05PM
Yeah ... If I can get Jerry to stop shaking the trailer! Haha.
January 03, 2012 09:22PM
Jerrys fault...right...eye rolling smiley

To get you guys to stop shaking the war wagon you'll have to either cut back on the coffee consumption, or get a more stable trailer setup.

Good thing they sell crank-down trailer jacks! grinning smiley
January 03, 2012 09:37PM
Nah, we're saving up for the hydraulic, self leveling jacks!
January 03, 2012 09:54PM
I thought we were saving for the shop with the 200 yard range outside the window! Another idea!

Hehe
January 03, 2012 09:58PM
By the time you guys get it up to snuff, the old War Wagon trailer is gonna be the new Taj Mahal shooting estate. grinning smiley

BTW, make sure you mount the jacks where you'll trip over them getting back into the truck, or paint something bright enough to see in the mirrors, so you'll remember to jack them back up before leaving. Try to bolt them to something that'll give way without ruining anything important in case you forget anyway. Don't ask me how I know. eye rolling smiley

Two words...check list.
January 05, 2012 05:05PM
That's a very nice group Gary thumbs up And what might have been with the 150 yarder...crying..maybe next time!
Cheers
Neil
January 26, 2012 05:52PM
Awesome group.. I cvan not say anything smiling smiley perfect
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021