Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ya'll want to brag?

Ya'll want to brag?
January 04, 2012 11:50PM
What's your temp. today, where you are?

I started my day with no heat in the shop. Walked in, and it was like a tomb. I keep it 40 degrees at night. I knew it wasn't 40 when I walked in there this am. I first checked the oil tank ... I wondered if it was dry. It had my reserve and a bit more. I tracked it down to a frozen oil line and a frozen oil tank valve outside the shop.

Of course, I had to move stuff for access. And gather up things like the electric heat gun and extension cord ... small rake to get leaves out of crevases so I didn't set the shop on fire. Wrenches to take fittings apart. Gloves ... sock hat. Bucket to drip oil into when/if it began to flow. Then I needed more access. Move more stuff for better access. Then I needed more heat. Big heat. So, the propane tank and heater from the war wagon got pressed into service. Directed against the bottom of the fuel oil tank where the valve exited. It was bitter cold inside and outside, of course ... so ... a great time was had by all. After about 90 minutes of this and I started to get a drip of oil from the loosened line at the furnace. All along the process, I also heated the full length of the copper oil line, because I couldn't know where the actual blocked and frozen area was. Go back and forth between the outside tank and the inside furnace fifteen times because I couldn't tell, from outside, when it might start to drip inside.

After I got the furnace running ... we called for some more oil. They dropped by with $1,350.00 worth and that dramatically helped to warm my morning. Gas was $1.76 I think when the administration changed, so I suspect fuel oil was about $1.90 three years ago instead of $3.59 this am. And ... THAT is very good for our area. We've been using the same guys for about 25 years and they are the lowest for fifty miles.

I really need to get out of here. So; whenever that time might come ... it isn't going to be a simple project to pack up and move. When I pack the first box in the shop, I'm out of work until I unpack the last box in the next place. Having been here for 32 years ... I dread ... no make that DREAD the whole process.

So, it was supposed to be about 15 degrees here last night. Been in the mid 20's all day. Guess you've all had a lovely 70 degree day? ;?) I'm not acclimated to it, because it's been so odd. Very warm, then very cold ... nothing steady around here.

Gary
January 05, 2012 12:51AM
Hi Gary, sorry for your misfortune.Weatherman said wind chill last night was -30. My shop was a balmy 55 degrees today and i didn't have to deal with frozen oil lines as i have to resort to electric heaters which is actually pretty good if i remember to turn them on/off. looks like your oil guy is treating you pretty good. i still have the receipts of my first oil bill from my current home and around 11 years ago i was paying .90 cents a gallon. Things are not looking good. I told my wife the next move we make i'm going to get those PODS and start filling. moving has got to be one of the most stressful events.
Steve
January 05, 2012 09:59AM
Well...the saying goes that two moves is about equal to a fire, as far as damaging your household goods. Having seen a couple of photos of your shop however, I'd estimate that moving that conglomeration of "topologically organized" essentials and random mystery items would be about equal to a fairly severe earthquake combined with a tornado. surprised

Weather-wise, we're holding steady up here in the upper twenties to low thirties, with about four or five feet of heavy snow in the last week. I think we're up somewhere around eighteen to twenty feet here in town for the season so far. If it keeps up anywhere near like this, it's looking like a new record snow year....yay..eye rolling smiley. Good thing the fuel truck has a long hose, he didn't even try to get up the driveway. The plow guy came by right after he left, of course.
January 05, 2012 03:06PM
"Kelly ... Please scratch Alaska off the list ..."
Anonymous User
January 05, 2012 09:36PM
Moving is very stressful and I am sorry that you had the problem. It was 33 degrees here last night. Kinda cool for Clearwater fl. If you move, I hope that it may be down here and would help you if you need it.
January 06, 2012 07:12AM
We reached an uncomfortable 25 degrees... Celsius. hot smiley here in NZ.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021