Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woodsman SS Hybrid

Woodsman SS Hybrid
January 06, 2012 10:40PM
a_WoodsmanSS_Hybrid.jpg

Almost ready to fire. Might happen this evening yet.

It's been holding air all week. There have been a bunch of things going on. And ... everything just takes several times as long as I expect.

You will note that the action is much like the new Orion action. That's right. There are differences, which I don't care to get in to. "Why is it Different from the Woodsman!" Because this is now, and it best suits my understanding of what the customer wants to do with it. The previously prepared parts fit into the newer Orion platform. This platform allows for the easier addition of a rifled sub caliber insert. The origonal Woodsman requires a new sub-caliber bolt action with each caliber change. This does not. The origonal system works well, but it's more expensive per caliber change, and customers delay making the change due to the proceedure requirements. Working on this and the HAWG at the same time, made me feel this was the way to go here.

This platform also brings the scope position forward a bit, which suits some applications.

Dr. appts today. (I'll live). Estate business today. (I might not). And ... if I'm fortunate, I might get to fire the new pc. this evening.

take a bow

Gary
Re: Woodsman SS Hybrid
January 07, 2012 01:01AM
WOW! I'll be pretty interested in seeing what happens next (slight understatement) winking smiley

So...lawyers AND doctors all in the same day?

Lets see...what's the smilie that means "glutton for punishment"?

could it bebrick wall

...or maybeknucklehead

...or perhapsself-hammer
January 07, 2012 02:48AM
Hi Sean,

I will fire it tomorrow. Didnt want to push it tonight. Almost there. I'm sure it will be fine. Actually, I have to root out some slugs and sizing die. Hummm. Where might those be ... I'll find or make them. I have tins of slugs everywhere. winking smiley

Gary
January 07, 2012 05:27PM
Came in to get the camera. Off to fire the Woodsman SS.

excited
January 07, 2012 11:14PM
A quick look at the time stamps will tell you there were no "gimmies" for Gary today. The valve unit I made is not the correct balance for the gun. I'm making another one.

Why? Because I made a mistake.

I'll be back.

Gary
January 08, 2012 04:54AM
Hey, look at the bright side. your elves are making a fortune in overtime paysmoking smiley.

That boss of theirs is a real hardcase though, a real slave-driver.Get crackin' Man, I'm glad I don't work for that guy.
January 08, 2012 03:37PM
Hi Sean,

Yeah ... I hope they finished the job after I left last night ... and didn't have another of their famous parties! Little creeps make a heck of a mess ......

why me
January 08, 2012 10:26PM
Well, so far I have the new valve body machined, to the new specifications. That's been approx. 15 hours of work, from initial testing thru tearing down the gun, to completing the solid billet bar stock of the Barnes firing valve housing.

Now I make the guts that goes into the valve body.

I sort of hope this one is a better balance for the rest of the design. whistling The other has been tagged, it's specs. recorded, and it's been set aside for another rifle, later.

When I came in for dinner ... I showed the new machined valve housing to Kelly. I said ... "does this look like it's been as much work as it has?" She said "yes it does ... and it's even more amazing what it will do. That thing will make it possible for air to fire a bullet". Whatta girl! winking smiley

OK ... dinner's over. Sunday night in the shop starts .... now. Click.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 10:54PM by barnespneumatic.
January 09, 2012 12:57AM
Ok. The new valve is complete. It's installed. The gun is holding air.

Yeah. winking smiley

I'll test it tomorrow.
Green bowing
January 09, 2012 02:51AM
Glad to hear it. You've got enough...uhm...."sun hazard area" up top without having to tear out any more hair.why me

So...assuming you've been looking at Julios thread, are you working on your Spanish yet? sunny
January 09, 2012 01:45PM
Si seƱor
January 11, 2012 01:25AM
Nice to have appreciative support!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021