Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Shooting Range…

New Shooting Range…
January 08, 2012 03:38AM
Hi Guys,

This shooting range it’s at a 10 acres piece of land that my beloved father left to us. My father passed away on November 20, 2011. It was a huge loss for my family and me. I’ve been very sad and sort of depressed since his death.

Well, this piece of land or as my father called it “the farm” was his most bejeweled treasure. It’s placed at a town named Cayey and that’s on the mountains part of Puerto Rico. It has been in the family for the past 39 years and my father use it to cultivate different fruits and vegetables for the family and friends (not a commercial operation). This was my father’s getaway and relaxation place. My father used to say “ the land is generous; you just have to plant a seed, take some care of it and it will give you back for the years to come”

Now it will be my relaxation/shooting range/ getaway place. At this moment I can easily shoot at up to 70 yards without doing any changes to the place. Here you can see my new 70 yds. range.

DSC02421.JPG

Here it's the same picture zoomed:

DSC02420.JPG

Now for the looooong range shooters (Gary, Jerry, Cedric and all the others) here I have a project that I plan to finish by this next Summer. I do need to create a path or a trail to get from here to the other hill. If you see the pines that are on the other hill, that’s about 185 to 200 yards.

DSC02423 200 yds.jpg

On the following picture I tried to highlight the aforementioned pine tree. There it’s a lot of work but it will get done.

DSC02423 200 yds I.jpg

Now to the shooting part of the post: Today I brought with me the Prairie Hawke 8mm. I was shooting the 189.0 grains Twin Tail slug. The rifle was connected to the CF tank and the regulator was set at 3,500 psi. At this setting the PH will shoot the Twin Tail slug at aprox. 826 fps and it will produce aprox 286 fpe.
DSC02427.JPG

On this following video my brother is shooting at the 200 yards pine. This was just for fun. Please pay attention to the time it takes to the slug to reach the pine. You will hear a clear solid twak after the two shots. Sorry, no contrails on this video, the temperature was close to 84 degrees.

[www.youtube.com]

Please admire the Sun setting over the hills and also the beautiful full Moon on a clear night.
DSC02442.JPG
DSC02447.JPG
DSC02448.JPG
DSC02449.JPG

This last picture that I wanted to share with you it’s a tree that we planted as a tribute to my father. The tree is an Ausubo (Manikara bidentata); a tree species endemic to Puerto Rico. It’s a slow growing tree and it can reach up to 45 meters tall. Right now it’s just 5 feet tall but some day it will be the tallest tree in the farm.

DSC02438.JPG

Julio
January 08, 2012 03:36PM
Hello Julio,

Thank you for a wonderful post, my friend. You produce excellent, thorough stories.

I'm sure that your father would be really pleased to know that you are enjoying the land he preserved for his family. It's special that you can enjoy something that brought him great pleasure. I pray that as the years pass, the sorrow that you feel now, will slowly be replaced by good memories that you make here in this special place. I'm honored to have a small part in that.

Great shooting. I can see I better get those service parts back to you! ;?)

Gary
January 08, 2012 11:25PM
Sorry for your loss. Your father would be happy and proud you are enjoying and continuing a wonderful legacy.
Steve
January 09, 2012 03:06AM
Hello Julio,

Thanks for sharing your story with us here on the forum, your new range looks like a wonderful location. I appreciate both seeing Garys airguns in action, and seeing how the widespread shooting fraternity conducts their sport in locations far and wide. The tree you planted is a fine tribute to your father. While I am sure that you will feel his loss for some time to come, a piece of him still persists in every tree that he planted and in the efforts he made to bring forth the bounty of the earth. I'm sure that he would have been happy to know that the land would continue to be utilized by the family, and that it brings enjoyment and relaxation to you when you are there.
January 11, 2012 01:06AM
Hi Julio,

Thank you for the wonderful and thought provoking post. I'm sure your dad would approve of and appreciate your use of the land. He would also be grateful and touched by your planting a special and particular tree in his honor. I'm sure that for years to come you'll wander by that tree and have a great memory, I don't expect your dad would have asked for anything more.
January 11, 2012 08:13PM
Cultivate : to improve by labor, care or study. M. Webster

Beautiful story Julio. Without a doubt your father appreciates the tribute of the tree. It will be a touchstone on the mountain that he prepared for his family. I pray that you and your family find the peace that he nourished on that hillside. With the planting of that tree, you continue in his path to immortality, by leaving this world a better place. May you continue to cultivate the hearts of all you touch.

All our best,

The Overmyers
Anonymous User
January 13, 2012 01:22AM
I am sorry for your loss and I know he is smiling as he look,s down upon you as you take care of his dream. Best wish,s Julio.
January 13, 2012 01:02PM
One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer. Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

The lines that you have written are beautiful and inspiring. Thank you guys for your empathy and support.

Julio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021