Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Victory and Carnivore vs Ballistic Bear

Victory and Carnivore vs Ballistic Bear
March 04, 2009 04:49AM
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for clearing up my mistake about the Cup o Joe. You also spurred me on to post some pics of the Carnivore 58 and Victory 32 with my newest pet, the ballistic bear. As described before the bear is made of duct seal. It is very dense and even more so now since it has soaked up a lot of lead over the past 3 years.

Victory & bear c.JPG Virgin bear c.JPG

A check of the Victory trivia files reveals this is the Barnes I bought for my wife, our first Barnes. We used it in the pistol format for the first Erwin Cup shoot. It was one of three Victory 32 formats, a Chaparral 25 and a Hoss 45 used to win the the Cup.

Head shot bear c.JPG Head autopsy.JPG

The various head shots were from .32 buckshot and 77 grain slugs. I mistakenly adjusted for the lighter buckshot by holding lower and that resulted in the body shot to the right. The autopsy photo reveals significant penetration by both buck and slug.

Carnivore Live Oak 2 c.JPG Carnivore Close 1 cb.JPG

Here's a couple of "glam" shots of the gun which Paul used to split the playing card at Cup o Joe. The Carnivore 58. It was also used to good effect on the 143 yd targets at the Cajun Cup. Here it was used at just 50 yds on the bear.

Double 58 bear.JPG Bear finger c.JPG

As seen the two shots doubled. The autopsy and slugs reveal the deformation of the overlapping shots.

Chest autopsy.JPG Slugs.JPG

More ballistic animals and guns to come.

Kent
March 04, 2009 11:44AM
Good stuff. I didn't know ballistic bears bled. winking smiley

Looks like that Carnivore wound channel is a few inches deep @ 50 yards?

-- Jim
March 04, 2009 12:38PM
Is that a Barnes folder in the last shot? Dory
March 04, 2009 02:08PM
Hey Kent! Great post. That took some time to put together. Thanks very much. Gosh ... I got tired just looking at all the work on those guns again. laughing again

I was amazed that the putty stopped the 58 slugs so quickly! That stuff is tough! Probably more like a water buffalo than a deer or something. (Not that we've been able to find any deer to shoot, so we'd know or anything .... heheh).

Neat to see the rifling cuts on those color keyed Barnes slugs. Some good shooting exhibited there too! Two slugs slamming into each other from fifty yards. And both heart shots! Hey ...l don't want any doctors shooting at me ... they know where the organs are!!! eye popping smiley hahaha

Great post!

Gary
March 04, 2009 02:12PM
Hey!!!!! I lost that knife ..... in Mississippi ...... tongue sticking out smiley
March 04, 2009 03:11PM
Awesome post Kent! I'll bet you had a chuckle admiring how cute a bear you could make out of duct seal. That duct seal is pretty tough. I would have guessed that the ball would have passed through the head. Nice shooting with the big Carnivore. It looks like the slugs are OK. It is pretty neat how the color scrubbed off. Thanks for posting. Oh, the Victory looks great, apparently I'm not the only one who did some cleaning (not that you'd ever let it get dirty but it looks freshly polished!).
March 04, 2009 05:36PM
Jim, the duct seal is very tough and dense, even the Chief Justice 87 is stopped by the stuff yet it busts concrete block and zips thru 5/4 pressure treated pine. see Utube post [www.youtube.com] try pausing it a 28 sec for dramatic effect. You can actually see the slug flying toward the camera..oops!

Dory, good pick up, yes that is a Barnes folder, not found in MS but a cherised reminder of the Cup o Joe and other forays with the maker. It is a very fine piece that has Damascus steel blade, lock back, file worked spine, brass and bone bolsters and scales, drop point, thumb opening, brass liner. Despite all that it still remains my "daily driver", if you will and is always with me. I have nightmares of TSA getting a hold of it during my next strip search at the airport!!!angry with "no" sign. Look for other Barnes originals in future posts.

Jerry, the vault door never even closed between the pictures and the return of the guns, it's on a time lock you know.whistling Actually with at little elbow grease these Barnes things shine up pretty good, despite my letting them see the light of day. I actually took to using some 3F and 5F stock polish with some additional secret formula stock rub which is probably why I never see any deer in the woods on sunny days. cooler

Do you have a favorite source for your brass polish?, I'm afraid I may shine right thru the shroud if I keep using the buffing compound. Do you use a fav wax for protection?

Kent
March 04, 2009 06:32PM
eye popping smiley 3f and 5f polish! No wonder the deer scatter. haha.

Hey Doc, I'm setting in a waiting room, right now, while Kelly is having a tooth tended to. Poor girl, the thing required that she be put under to have it cut out. Yuck. excited I better start boiling water and tearing up sheets.

I have nightmares of TSA too! Took my pocket knife on one of my trips to MS. Wonder where that one ended up. The TSA lady wouldn't take $50 to mail it back to me. So ... she must have recognized it was worth more.

Wow ... never realized how aggrivating those smilies could be when working with a touch pad mouse!!! End of post!!

;?) (manual smilie)

Gary
March 04, 2009 06:43PM
Great idea!!
Reusable, you can examine the slugs, and lets face it, shooting an object is far more satisfying/fun than punching paper !!!
March 04, 2009 07:10PM
Kent,
Why do I get the feeling that I ought to know what 3F and 5F polish are? more confused All I've used on the Maverick has been "Never Dull." I've never really done anything to the stocks at all besides wipe them down. This last time I was going to use some car wax to coat the guns but the bottle was cracked and stuff started going everywhere when I started shaking the bottle! I tossed that and decided to just put some clear spray wax on as a protectant. The spray got all over the guns and stocks but seemed to buff out fine.

Gary,
Say hi to Kelly for me when her head clears. I hope she feels good soon! If it looks like she's not going to be chipper by Saturday, tell her I will come up and make breakfast for her. You can still make the potatos if you can stay out of my way! laughing again
March 04, 2009 09:42PM
Kent,

how much BP did that bear take?

Might have to hit Home depot for a pound or two.....
March 04, 2009 10:54PM
Jerry,

I have no clue what 3f and 5f polish is either ... I was just glad for something other than my lousy hunting skills to blame an empty deer tag on. ;?)

You keep yer darned car polish away from my guns! Use Old English spray wax and SPRAY THE RAG ... not the gun ... knucklehead A soft cotton Barnes tee shirt. whistling

The Never Dull is amazing stuff. I literally have a can from 1974. But .. sometime in between then and now .... I bought a second one ...(company actually changed the can logo and all ... hehe). If you must ... you can use a paste wax on the stocks. However; that will prevent me from ever easily applying additional stock oil.

Kelly is sleeping off the pain pill, etc. She got along just fine. No problem. Very good. In the recovery room ... she looked sort of like this ... google eyes hehehe.

Gary
March 04, 2009 11:15PM
Oh sure, NOW I get the instructions! confused I guess I shouldn't have dipped the gun in the vat of abrasive paint restoring polish eh?

Don't worry, for lack of the stuff with real wax I used a synthetic wax in a non-abrasive clear spray product. I'll just have to sand the stocks down if I ever want more oil on them...winking smiley
March 05, 2009 12:45AM
Hey guys,

I'm on a roll got some more material for a new thread. I could hear the yawns from the seemingly limited power applied to the bear so....I got out my 357 magnum for comparison. Look for the new thread soon.

Ya'll never heard of Brownell's three F and five F stock polish? You can also use it to deyellow your head lights or polish plexiglass Bad Boy Buggy windshields. I then reoiled with an approved oil between polishing and wax, ooohhh.

Dan, I would guess that this is 15 # of duct seal. It was several years ago that I bought it and it lasts forever. The only losses come from little bits sticking to bullets extracted. It's as good as new. It has no relation to tissue density and increases with cold temps. If you need a quiet target/backstop this is it. I kept it originally in a metal electrical junction box about 1 ft sq with a handle bolted to the top and a couple of spring clips mounted on the face to hold targets. Nothing got thru and the gun was always louder than the impact...not so with metal or rubber backstops.

Kelly, hope you feel better soon, take your pain meds and sleep it off.

Kent
March 05, 2009 01:13AM
Good thread. Good tips.

I've GOT to get some of that Duct seal. Jerry ... Jim ... buy all you can find and we will combine it. I doubt most stores have tons of the stuff on the shelf. Who needs 15 pounds? haha. Probably will flag Homeland Security or something if I buy that much. haha.

Thanks for the well wish for Kelly. She's doing very well. Now ... SOMEONE else we know and love (and it's not me) has to go. I won't OUT them ... IF they go take care of themselves. drinking smiley

Gary
March 05, 2009 03:17AM
That is one beautiful gun and a great post. I LOVE THE BALLISTIC BEAR. Can't wait to see the .357 mag damage to the BALLISTIC BEAR or BB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021