Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Lever assist cocking wheel

Lever assist cocking wheel
January 27, 2012 11:36PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Have been working on the solid brass roller wheel. It has a groove in which the tool steel cocking lever runs in.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 12:05AM by barnespneumatic.
January 28, 2012 12:29AM
Very Nice!
January 28, 2012 02:25AM
There really is nothing else like a Bison out there, it's so baroque in it's level of detail, yet utterly functional.

The part that turns the angle between the reciever and the tube that goes down into the buttstock is obviously machined on a lathe before the angle is applied to it. I guess the only word to describe it is that it's bent, at precisely the right angle to give the buttstock it's offset. There's gotta be a considerable amount of work that goes into it prior...does it give you a moments pause before you take that precisely machined part and crank in that bend? Do you have to heat it, or is it done in an arbor press, or what? Do you have to do anything special to keep it from kinking instead of bending? Or do you just leave a set of blueprints in the shop and give the elves their marching orders?

Handy things, those elves. Wish I had a dozen to go work on the roof. winking smiley
January 28, 2012 03:35AM
Hi Sean
Thanks for commenting.

There are quite a few trade secrets which apply to the manufacture of that part. Not the time for an unpaid seminar on that one. Sorry. Not to be obtuse. stunned

Among the many different families of designs, most of them have key operations that cause considerable cause for pause. Yes.

I guess one of the most maddening aspects of what I do is this: I cannot create a proper visualization of just how complex and technical various processes are ... without documenting those processes in detail. To do so would be utterly stupid ... since they took decades to learn. Therefore; what's left is an incomplete idea of just how much work really goes into a completed example.
January 28, 2012 06:03AM
Gary,

It's a real treat to sit in on these builds.coffee

Thanks for sharing.

Lon
January 28, 2012 09:04AM
Makes sense, I guess. No need to self-publish the "how to put Gary out of work" manual online. smiling smiley

That particular part just really jumps out at me as having a higher-than-normal "boy, I hope this turns out OK" potential for disaster. As you've noted though, there are probably similar operations in the manufacture of every gun you make, especially when you consider custom color anodyzing and hot tank blueing and other high-end finishes.

And even relatively simple operations like stock inletting, as we've seen recently. Even sadder
January 29, 2012 04:19AM
I know what Gary means, the torn between wanting to show everything and knowing better.

Rotorhead I've done some bent turned parts, they follow the basic rule of - the thinnest cross-section yields first. The finer details
need some more planning though.
February 13, 2012 10:53AM
just let the results speak for themslves , ive a fair idea about how its done , and if its the way i guess , ill bet its all fun for about fifteen seconds , then just not funny at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021