Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Niccum and Bodio

Niccum, Bodio, and LaMour
February 02, 2012 02:55AM
No, not a law firm. Not enough names. winking smiley.

Three customers who will benefit from some more parts machined today. Parts for the Scout/Dakota design school. Lots of lathe work today.

Sorry, it's all blueprint stuff.
thumbs up
Thanks for checking in.

Gary

I added Mr. LaMour's name to the list here as I got to the stage where that project could join in. These will be a great series of guns to show you, as the sets develop. They're coming along. All takes ten times what you think it should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 08:47PM by barnespneumatic.
February 03, 2012 01:07AM
Hi Gary

I don't recall reading about the scout/dakota design. Can you tell me more about it?
February 03, 2012 01:37AM
hello Reggie,

This is an early design to provide a lighter weight hunting rifle. Developed about 1997 IIRC the 45 version produced about 200 fpe in a carbine sized gun. It was a no frills model which showed good performance. Also had a very old school look and feel about it. It was part of the original "rendezvous class" of muzzleloading guns.

If you recall your big bore history, 200 fpe was very decent power at that time. It's still a good amount of power, but it doesn't "read" as well now. As I continued to develop models of greater power, most Scout orders morphed into other models. That's why you have not seen many.

Over the years, I've altered the few new Scout projects to reflect state of the art changes. So they do not all look alike. But they are all true to their place and purpose in the line- up.

This batch of guns will be very close to the original look which these customers liked, but they have improved internals.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 08:41PM by barnespneumatic.
February 03, 2012 03:03PM
Are they still going to be muzzleloaders, or will they become breechloaders in this iteration?
February 03, 2012 08:10PM
rotorhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are they still going to be muzzleloaders, or will
> they become breechloaders in this iteration?

Hi Sean
Both. One fella wanted to keep his 32 as a ML.
Other orders changed, and the slide breech made a great set up for this gun.
Gary
Re: Niccum, Bodio, and LaMour
February 04, 2012 06:13AM
That slide breech really seem like a natural for a design that was originally a muzzleloader, doesn't it? For that matter, you could just ignore the slide and muzzleload it anyway, couldn't you?
February 04, 2012 02:04PM
You would have to open the breech slide, insert a wadding in the breech. Then muzzle load. Otherwise the breech loading port would interfere. For a smoothbore with slide breech, I make the loading port longer to accept paper shot shells. Those are so convenient and work so well.
February 04, 2012 02:31PM
Gary

When you get some time to talk to state about airgun hunting. Maybe you can address this issue. If we could be allowed to hunt during muzzle loading season also, without being a true muzzle loader that would be great. Or, maybe that's asking to much for starters. Dory
February 04, 2012 08:00PM
I think most states have a "primitive" hunting season. I suspect they might consider us there. I understand what you are asking too. I'll see what transpires. I have not felt I could present them with a decent experience until the weather is more stable. They want to bring several people. I want to have Jerry involved and perhaps Jim (although he maintains his own herd of deer on his lawn). winking smiley
February 04, 2012 10:14PM
Wow Gary, now with the addition of the third name, this topic's tittle sounds like a law firm.LOL! Cool.

I hope that you and everybody are having a nice weekend.

Julio
February 05, 2012 03:05AM
Hi Julio,

I've been working and doing well so far, for the weekend. Thanks.

BTW ... Mr. L`Amour is the son of the famous Western writer ... Louis L`Amour. "Beau" is a great fellow who has been extremely patient for many years ... as with many of you. I was extremely pleased to experience the wonderful audio books which are his father's stories brought to life in audio format. Extremely rich and wonderfully produced, they were the first audio books I ever tried. What a shock when I thought I'd try another audio book. The L`Amour product has quite a few different readers ... one each for each character. Others have one guy read and try to be the villian, the hero, AND the sexy girl ... (doesn't work!) The L`Amour product has great sound effects, and appropriate music. You have to try them.

Mine were labeled, "Bantam Audio Publishing".

thumbs up

Gary
February 05, 2012 02:05PM
Gary,

You had mentioned Beau before. I'm a big fan of his Dad. I have all his books except maybe a couple the family has published recently. I'll have to try the audio, would be nice while driving. Dory
February 05, 2012 04:07PM
I've always liked the Scout. When my brother first turned me on to your work, that was the model I fell in love with. Simple and elegant. I look forward to seeing the photos.
February 08, 2012 10:49PM
Always good to hear about progress-- can't wait to see what it looks like.
February 09, 2012 12:52AM
Hello Steve
Check the other scout threads close here. There are pics.
thumbs up
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021