Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stropping

Stropping
March 26, 2017 12:27AM
Well last week I decided to make a strop for touching up my knifes . I've never been very good at sharpening small pocket knifes and feel the need to get better at it !
I have a number of stones large and small with different grits and 2 steels . One ceramic and one regular . I'm ok at ALL but think I can do better and after handling one of Gary's surgically sharp edges feel that I must be missing the stropping process .

I cut up one of my old belts and charged it with some compound I had laying around . I tried to use it the way I've seen it done with one end secured to a fixed point and holding the other end in my hand . I don't think much changed in the edge of the knife so I think I'll try gluing it down to a flat piece of wood as a sorta platen .

I've always tried to do things by hand before adding moters and power behind the process .
Gary do you strop all your blades as the last process in the blade making sequence ? I've NEVER had a pocket knife as sharp as yours .
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
Re: Stropping
March 26, 2017 08:03PM
Hi Kurt,

It's not always the same. A lot of knives I even hold back a bit - if I don't know people's history with blades. Especially folders, some folks have very dangerous methods of opening, because their experience has been with dull knives. I don't want their very very first experience it be completely slicing off their thumb pad by grabbing the sides of the blade and spinning it 90 degrees. Ouch!!!!!

But, stropping IS a great way to finish an edge. You are good to glue the belting to a board. I have made boards about 10-12" long with a stub handle then extending the total another 5" or so. Have about 10" of leather.

Then draw the knife (edge away) toward you. Blade standing up maybe 20-25 degrees. If the Buffing compound won't stick to the leather, use wd40 on the leather then rub the buffing compound onto the leather.

As you use your knife, just occasionally strop it a few strokes per side. You need to guard against grinding away your blade steel for nothing. You can use a knife for years, before you need to even go back to a stone. It's easy to grind away the life of your blade during unnecessary sharpening. Meaning - a strop would restore the edge, but a user went to a stone. It can work ok if it's a hard, fine ceramic. I have a couple. But if it's a med diamond, for instance; those can just eat steel. You want to just set up the edge. Only remove a burr. You don't want to grind your blade to dust.

Sharpening is an art. Takes time to learn.

Best!
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 10:09PM by barnespneumatic.
March 27, 2017 01:16AM
Hello Kurt, Gary,

Thanks for this information. I had read up on Stropping awhile ago when I was looking for the best way to sharpen wife's kitchen knives. Gary provided great insight about not needing to "grind" away at the knife edge. Rather maintaining the edge after frequent use.

Thanks

Pedro
March 27, 2017 02:05AM
Great Topic Kurt!

This is the type of thing that I can share experiences with you. Perhaps tell you something you just haven't heard before. thumbs up

Gary
March 27, 2017 02:29AM
[knifeinformer.com]

Found the above article regarding keeping a blade sharp. Hope it's of interesting.

Pedro
March 27, 2017 04:24AM
I've been practicing on some cheap kitchen knives lately.

Agreed, good topic Kurt.

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021