Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Air Gun FUN with "Simulated" Ballistics Gelatin

Air Gun FUN with "Simulated" Ballistics Gelatin
February 08, 2012 09:37PM
Ok guys, 1st off, i have to say that in no way shape or form do i consider this REAL Ballistics Gelatine. I've never seen nor handled the real stuff so, i truly don't know how close in density and elasticity this stuff comes to the real thing. I got the recipe from YOUTUBE.....of course!....lol.

Also: THIS IS NOT JELLO BRAND GELATIN. THIS IS GENERIC or PLAIN GELATIN. This stuff is more dense and tougher.

And since GB and Jerry wouldn't make the video i asked him for.......i had to do it.....lol. THANX FOR NOTHING GUY'S! whistling lol

Anyways, i have to say though, not only was this project very fun and entertaining but i learned a couple of things. 1st is, how to reheat (low fire/temperature on the stove instead of medium or high) this stuff to keep it clearer longer and to not use Pam or cooking oil as a release agent. I simply NOW put it in a container of choice for the shape with no release agent and slowly peel the top edges away from the container all the way around and VOILA!. Seems to stay clearer longer than when you add oils as instructed on You Tube as a release agent. 2nd, using this recipe only cost whatever your store charges for 8oz of gelatin. Mine only cost 5.98 plus tax. So it's cheaper than the real thing and easy to handle and mix and cure. 3rd, the mixture is STRONG ENOUGH TO STOP A 50 FPE JSB KING in ONLY 13" from a mere 30 feet away! But of course, always use a GOOD BACKSTOP!

Guns used in test: Rapid .25 and Cros Mods Disco .22

Pellets tested:
.22 cal JSB Exact-15.9 gr @ 908 fps/29.1 FPE
.22 cal Predator-16.0 gr @ 916 fps/29.8 FPE
.25 cal JSB Kings-25.4 gr @ 940 fps/49.8 FPE
.25 cal Predator-26 gr @ 946.8 fps/51.7 FPE

The results from all the pellets were as expected. I knew the Predators would drop the poly-tip and then expand pretty good and i knew the Exacts and Kings would penetrate like the dickens. Actual hunting time in the field has shown me this. I find poly-tips in animals and a lot of bruised tissue while with the Exacts and Kings, well, I've never found one inside of quarry..lol. What i did not expect was for the gelatin to actually stop the Kings and Exacts in 12-13" of penetration. This stuff works better than i thought it would. Especially that i was only about 30 feet away. I also did not expect to actually capture the wound channel along with the SPIRALING EFFECT. And the gelatin showed exactly what DOES happen when it hits flesh, the domes create a much narrower wound channel and penetrate further than the HP pellets. The Predators also mushroomed perfectly and tracked very straight as i traveled inside the gelatin. Again, I've never seen a Predator hit in one place then come out somewhere totally opposite from the entrance.

FYI: Please forgive the 25 cal test which was the first in the video to be done but the gelatine came out darker (more orange) cause of the repeated use of oils as a release agent and high remelting temps. But you can still see the pellet travel through the gelatin. The .22 cal testing portion of the video came out a lot better as i bought more gelatin and rethought the process and rethought the filming. So excuse that as it was all trial and error (1st time) caught on video...lol. But for the next video, i will use the OVERHEAD video technique as well as smarter lighting like in the .22 portion (used a clear plastic box lid with a halogen light underneath to illuminate). BTW, ILLUMINATING (lighting) is the most important part of filming to get good footage for those of you that wanna try this and film it for yourselves.

Enough of my yappin...............................................

ENJOY THE VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

Next up....Crow Mags vs Predators

P.S. JULIO....lol.....if you try this bro.......YOU ARE GONNA NEED WAY MORE GELATIN....lol. At least 3' ft long MINIMUM. More like 5' to be on the safe side with your gun. All kidding aside, i would like to see you do one with this stuff with your setup. Would be pretty cool. Of course Jerry and GB also. This stuff hit with one of Jerry's smoothbores using buckshot would be awesome in slo mo.
February 09, 2012 12:05AM
Ced,

You do remember the videos we did with the gelatin don't you? laughing

I saw you posted on the Yellow and you got more replies for your video than I got for all of mine put together! You're a celebrity! Nice video BTW!
February 09, 2012 12:59AM
I know Jerry. It's just wrong.

Cedric will probably forget all about us when he has his TV show. After we gave him the BEST YEARS ... crazy

Hehe. Good posts Ced. Thanks.
February 09, 2012 07:00AM
Jerry............OMG! I seriously forgot till just now when i read your reply. I really did. That's why in GB's post about what would we like to see in some upcoming videos, i said ballistics gelatin cause i really did forget you guys did it. Ok big apologies then. I'm goin find that post right now and watch it again.

GB, seriously, if i ever get or make myself a airgun/hunting show, your guns are gonna be FEATURED without a doubt. I really do want my own show or DVD. SERIOUSLY. I'm actually already supposed to have a DVD. Oh well, one day i guess. I'll just keep piling up the videos.
February 09, 2012 01:20PM
Forgot! Forgot???? why me

It's hanging out on those gutter sites that causes this Cedric. It rots your brain. I've tried to warn you, for years. Perhaps now, you'll realize the danger. Poor Jerry ... forgotten and tossed aside ... Sitting in his home theater watching his old movies of ballistic gelatin. Even more coffee. It's just SAD.
winking smiley
February 09, 2012 07:10PM
laughing

Guess your right GB....seems like i have forgotten my ROOTS...lol. how could i forget any of you guys vids....Help!
February 09, 2012 07:18PM
It's OK Gary, when he gets rich and famous for gelatin videos, I'm going to sue for my cut... smiling smiley
February 09, 2012 11:01PM
I'm gonna just apply to wash his car and live over the garage ...
winking smiley
February 10, 2012 05:33PM
Nice work Tofaz!
Hoping I can get in the movie too, as the international wing of the Barnes Appreciation Society of Old Crocs....grinning smiley
Regards
Neil
February 12, 2012 06:46AM
No problem Neil. A segment with you and i hunting HARES would make for great footage for sure. DONE!

We could do 1/2 of the show with me hunting with you in New Zealand then me flying you here to the States to hunt hear. WOOHOO! See, already got it planned out.
February 12, 2012 02:25PM
I think you should do all the flying with an old bush plane. All the while the announcer could prattle on about the weight limit of the 60 year old plane, how you are within six ounces of not being able to take off, and the statistics of how many bush planes go down each year. Aways gets my blood up. Then once airborn, we can talk about the horrible weather that's moving in, and build doubts as to if well be able to continue on to our destination. After that, some worry about crosswinds at the landing site could build the drama. After that, nobody will care a bit if you shoot a rabbit or not. They'll be mind numb and glazed over. thumbs up
February 12, 2012 08:42PM
could ice be the new jello
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021