Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bodio: Scout 45 with slide breech.

Bodio: Scout 45 with slide breech.
February 13, 2012 11:52PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pics of Mr. Bodio's Scout action. I've been working to get these few actions firing for another group of Ledger customers. I worked all weekend to get this to this stage. I completed the carving today.

I have one more of these Scouts in parts for Mr. L'Mour.

This particular action will feature a slide breech.

Gary
February 14, 2012 12:44AM
carving on welds...wow !

Talk about taking it to the Nth degree.....

very nice Gary!
February 14, 2012 01:43AM
I don't know if I'd trust any of that fancy schmancy carving stuff. I'd recommend EXTREME caution!

Mr. Bodio, as a service, I'd be reluctant but willing to take that scary gun off your ledger. For a nominal fee, I'll take the gun once complete and broker it to whomever has the guts to bid. I'll take the job for...say...$2000. I expect I won't be able to get more than roughly $8000 for a fully custom made one off gun but we all know why! Who on earth is going to want a gun that didn't come off a production line? Seriously, I understand.

Again, my small comission will be partly dedicated to public education. Send me $2000 now and I'll broker the gun and after no more than $10,000 in stupidity fees, you'll be free and clear of this burden!
February 14, 2012 03:41AM
Jerry, we talked about this .... remember.
February 14, 2012 06:51AM
You NEVER let me get away with ANYTHING! laughing

I really like this gun. IIRC, picking the right slug and right fill made this gun about perfect for a BUNCH of different venues. Besides just being pretty...
February 14, 2012 01:34AM
Beautiful work on the welds and steel Gary!"festive" I new the frosting would come out to play. I hope to see one of these up close someday. Hope one of these gets out in public to show off the details like this.

Kent
February 22, 2012 01:16PM
YEE HAH!

I love it.
February 22, 2012 07:39PM
That's great Steve
It would be farther along had this home insurance mess not landed on me. However; we shall survive and get back to the finer things asap. Glad you like it

Gary
February 22, 2012 07:46PM
I just finished another welding class last night. It's (very) safe to say that my beads are NOT as pretty as Garys. grinning smiley

And I learned another thing from last weeks class; those welding sunburns go way deeper than a casual "too much sun mowing the yard" sunburn does. Perhaps twenty or thirty seconds exposure to the arc from the MIG welder did a real number on my left arm where it was exposed between the leather gloves and the short sleeved shirt I was wearing. It's been tight and painful for a week, and started peeling yesterday despite all the lotions and cremes and aloe vera that I slathered on it. I'm sure glad I wasn't wearing goggles instead of using a helmet!electrified
February 22, 2012 09:18PM
oh , steel in boot ,,, i second that , interesting fact , it only stays hot for exactly the time it takes to take your boot off ,,,, so , do you , take off the boot when you can , knowing it will be cool by then , or .... dance about till it cools ,,,,, or ,,,, just stand still and curse....
only thing worse ,,,, when the blob that should have dropped in your boot , falls into the hole in your glove and gets you in the web between your fingers.
February 22, 2012 09:53PM
Yeah. Well, by the time it cools, it has become a nice tight fitting INLAY
excited
February 23, 2012 06:22AM
Those sparks seem to have a mind of their own, don't they? Last night I was getting re-acquainted with arc welding, burned up some 6011 and 6013 rod trying to run beads on some scrap iron. Even with a helmet on it's a good idea to wear safety glasses underneath. I was surprised how often sparks seem to jump off the leather apron and dance around inside the bottom of the helmet, it's very distracting. One of the little devils even tried to catch my beard on fire, not something you can just ignore while you finish up the last couple inches of rod.hot smiley

One thing that hasn't changed a bit since my high school days is the "buzz,clang and curse" sequence...which happens every time you get the rod stuck to the work trying to start an arc. It seems directly proportional to the time you spent lining up the pieces to be welded; if it's a finicky bit to set up, it's practically garanteed that you'll stick a rod and fling them all over the place trying to wrestle it free.

Next time I'm going to try to get more time on the wire feed machine, it's really nice not having to chip off slag after you finish each weld.
February 23, 2012 01:52PM
the slag should just curl up in one or two long pieces and fall off as the weld cools ,
the best indication as to how your welding is , is how easy it is to decap ,,
February 23, 2012 07:21PM
Are you talking about conventional stick arc-welding here? If so, what kind of rod does that? I gotta get some!
February 25, 2012 08:17AM
its not the rods ,,,, its just a bit of practice that does the trick ,,,,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021