Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Delta 32 is hunting

Delta 32 is hunting
March 04, 2009 11:18PM
I got a call from the owner of the Delta 32 SS awhile ago. I had not heard from him since UPS verified del., so I'd called this am.

He'd been out all night hunting with the Delta. REALLY wanted to send me a hunt kill pic this am. However; it was not to be. The area he was in last night (around a huge lake community) ... is an area he's hunted for many years. He keeps the beaver in control where they are over populated and eat the community's shrubs, plants, boats, boat docks, patio furniture, trash units, sheds, etc. He says he's shot all the "stupid" beaver there for the time being. more confused And ... last night just didn't find any of the smarter ones.

He says beaver never stand still. And, he sees them in the water, and moving 2-3 mph. Just showing the top of the head ... and leaving a wake (which gives them away).

Can you imagine running into a dude, at 2am, carrying a moderated Barnes airgun, wearing night vision .... prowling around the waterfront of multi-million dollar lakefront homes. Now ... there's a vision for ya! take a bow He's hired by the community ... (no - he's not stalking them ... haha).

He says the rifle arrived about 5 or after last evening. He took it directly to a rifle shop he knows. He's been there so much, that he helps them mount scopes for people in the busy season. He had rings and a scope on it right away. You guys will be pleased to say he likes the 3-7 Leupold. Says he had it sighted in in 7 shots, before dark. First shot was on elevation and 3" right ... right out of the gun clamp at the sport's shop.

Then, he was off to the lake, took a shot to verify POI at the lake ... and then a varmint hunt in 20 degree weather all night. A shame he didn't connect. He should have taped over the "Barnes" logo (I forgot to tell him that ... hehe whistling ).

He's headed back out tonight ... but says he's going into some mighty rough brush where he hates to take the gun. I think I convinced him he needed to take it anyway. We'll see.

Anyway ... right out of the box, it was scoped, shot in ... and hunted. That's fine. He says he likes it ... likes the trigger ... thinks it's extremely accurate. Now ... he needs to get it on some varmints.

Gary
March 04, 2009 11:30PM
Well, how about that! I hope he gets something tonight. BTW, the weather is going to turn in the next couple days and it will be in the 60s this weekend...
March 05, 2009 01:15AM
Hint? haha.

Come on up.

Gary
March 05, 2009 12:53AM
Gary, that's great! It's too bad the No Fur folks have messed up the equation for the small guy making a buck on the pelts. I hate to even ask if he bothers with the carcass. I also wonder if anyone has a recollection of the beaver tail being a mountain man delicacy. That's what I remember anyway. Seems one could Southern fry one of those and slap it on a big'ol bun just like a pork fritter, yum!

Kent
March 05, 2009 01:19AM
That's right .. I but ... I know YOU would have to spice it and maranade it for three days first! haha. Then smoke it for 12 hours. But ... I know it would be good! hehe.

Oh ... the guy says the "Government" seeded beavers into that area back decades ago. He says they actually air dropped them in in harnass that they could chew out of. Now ... I don't think he was pulling my leg ... cause he laughed about some "ole boy" back in the hills ... sitting in a deer stand ... and seeing a beaver float by on a parachute! LOL! rolling happy smiley Enough to make you drop your bottle of snake oil. hahahahahah.

"We are the government ... and we're here to help you". I believe the story.

;?)

Gary
March 05, 2009 01:42AM
Maybe it was a "meals on wings" program? eye rolling smiley Or maybe it was the original stimulus package...it did create a job after all.....
March 05, 2009 05:01PM
gary said: Can you imagine running into a dude, at 2am, carrying a moderated Barnes airgun, wearing night vision .... prowling around the waterfront of multi-million dollar lakefront homes.

DUDE! some warning! I had a HUGE mouthful of coffee reading that line...... and choked trying not to spew it.coffee

2 am... when the Bars close... smileys with beer and they see this guy.... Oh to have been there
March 05, 2009 05:20PM
He did tell me that he's had "interesting experiences" with people and new police officers who "didn't get the memo!" eye popping smiley

Shows you the extent well to do communities can suffer from good hearted "nature programs" run amuck. You finally claw your way up the latter, get your lake front home at 58 years old .... only to find a beaver chewing the legs off the ladder you're standing on. Floating docks, walk ways, gardens, decks, porches, grill covers, electric lines ..... endless damage from the rodents (just happily going about their nightly chores).

Until .... they meet up with "Robo-Sniper!!!" hahaha. "Pfffft .... thump". whistling

Gary
March 05, 2009 07:17PM
Sounds like he needs to work on his camo......
March 05, 2009 10:01PM
I am so hoping we get a great hunting report from "beaver hunter." I know that gun was a challenge and the time and effort that went into testing and making improvements and getting it just right was....well, a lot. I'm positive no other big bore maker has created a gun design to fill one specific purpose and such a narrow but well defined set of specifications and then tweaked and tuned to such a level. I've seen other big bores offered and touted as being low cost or traditional but not one of them would fill the requirements that our night hunter has. And not one of them has ever shown any documentation of having been tested and refined to meet a specific purpose so well. Our beaver hunter has exactly what he asked for and more and he could not have gotten it anywhere else at any price...that I'm aware of at least!
March 06, 2009 02:55AM
Indeed....

Beavers are big rodents, so they need a good thumping. Can't think of a better tool to thump them with... knucklehead

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
better tool
March 06, 2009 06:13AM
Actually, this might be the better tool to control problem beavers.
conibear 330  beaver trap.jpg
But...not nearly as much fun. smiling smiley
Re: better tool
March 06, 2009 01:31PM
Common Sean: eye rolling smiley Kids, pets, Aunt Martha. Besides, coming down to take the boat out for a nice picnic lunch ... to find a beaver flipping around with it's leg half twisted off. I think a quick dispatch from a pellet under the ear, in the middle of the night, is a viable plan.

winking smiley Gary
March 06, 2009 01:35PM
Depends . . . what do we know about Aunt Martha? drinking smiley

-- Jim
March 06, 2009 01:59PM
hehehe. You have a good point there! grinning smiley
March 06, 2009 09:09AM
Actually, no fun at all...

------------------------------------------
March 06, 2009 02:31PM
I want to know what kind of night vision goggles he's using. I always wanted a pair of them. My house is surrounded by trees and I have a pond out back. There's all kinds of critters roaming out there at night. Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 02:31PM by Dory.
March 06, 2009 02:55PM
Hi Dory,

From talking to him, I've put together that he must use a monocular device. He says it's a screen that he views with his left eye. He said he has to save his right eye - or he won't have his vision for use with the scope. He has a spotlight on the gun too. That's why he can use a regular scope. I take it that he looks for the beaver's wake in the water ... via the night vision. He then flips on the spotlight for the shot.

He's said he's considered a total night rig for the thing. But ... that would cost as much as the rifle to outfit.

Another note. Our fella's name is Van. And he's recently moved into a newly opened area of mt. country. For now, the cell towers are not servicing the area ... and the fiber optic cable is not functional (something like that). That's why he's not on here for himself.

Gary
March 06, 2009 05:20PM
mt. Country?

is that Montana country, or Mountain country.... ?
March 06, 2009 05:56PM
Mountain. He's in South Carolina. I mistakenly once said N.C.

Gary
March 07, 2009 08:05AM
They do make some very nice rigs for night use, but they're $$$! You can spend about as much as you want, depending on just how good you need to see. The rigs the military uses these days aren't much bigger than an Aimpoint type scope, but they cost as much as a nice custom rifle does. If you've never looked through a night vision goggle, they're monochrome green and usually a big grainy. How grainy depends (of course) on how much you want to spend. cooler
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021