Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Working on Gary L’s Verne Knife ...

Working on Gary L’s Verne Knife ...
August 06, 2018 06:16PM
Doing the contrast background today.

But (there’s always something first ... just like at your workplace - smile) ....

Here .... I have to drill and thread for the locks of the “Cam Anvil Blade Stop Bar”.

1999177B-D5CE-4124-AD61-E209DDDA5567.jpeg

Then, you notice scars from the engraving vise. As often as possible, I shield the work from metal jaws. But, to engrave, the work has to be held very tight. No slipping or it can be a very expensive SssssLlliiiiiiiippp!$!$!$!$!$. So, I often cut shaped wooden jaws to go between the metal pins and the knife parts. But, I don’t know what happened here. Honestly, it looks like maybe an hour 13 stupid thing to do. Can’t say for sure.

May be of interest to you. I’ll have to go thru 4-5 different sanding belt grades and THEN go to a buffer to take these out. Starting with maybe 120 grit. Then 240 grit ... then 320 .... 30 micron, 15 micron, then the buffing Wheel. No. You can’t skip grades or you will just polish the scratches. And, how do you change grits? You change the belt on a grinder ... and adjust the new one to track straight. I’ll bet I’ve changed belts on these grinders hundreds of thousand times. As well as blades on my bandsaws. (Check the new IT Thread I’m gonna write in a few).

Small stuff takes up most of the time.

Ok. Hang in. Pics ASAP. Finished ASAP.

Gary
Re: Working on Gary L’s Verne Knife ...
August 06, 2018 11:32PM
DF3F7551-9D71-49E2-8084-9B53963991A3.jpeg

Check ....

And Check.

That much closer.
August 07, 2018 01:52AM
Amazing how unpredictable the things that grab viewing public's attention. The first thing I looked at and pondered for a while was how it was clamped in the vise. I was obsessed with if and how it was padded.

why me

Lon
August 07, 2018 02:05PM
Hi Lon,

Yes sir. Sure is.

That’s a rubber pad folded into a U shape around the knife. The vise jaws are flat and smooth. It works well.

Thanks for commenting

Gary
August 08, 2018 02:05AM
4E3F1191-B59D-414D-8B2F-FC41C16440A8.jpeg

The “Well” around the release button on the Model 97 Jules Verne Inspired Theme Knife for Gary L. The well was sanded and polished out in this pic.

I’ve been working through that last hand full of Green Dots. Putting in the background Contrast on the engraved panels now.

Gonna be a beautiful knife.

Gary
August 08, 2018 04:36AM
I can't wait to see the next steps and then the finished product. Lots of skill there.

Gary L
August 08, 2018 01:02PM
We are almost there Gary.

As you see, there are a bunch of small steps that aren’t as glamorous, but have to be completed with equal attention to the carvings.

I can’t wait to show you the finished project. I sold a couple pieces very recently. That will be a huge help to the projects for you and Kurt.

Thanks for your patience and for commenting
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021