Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: In keeping with the thread ... it's Thursday

In keeping with the thread ... it's Thursday
March 22, 2012 10:44PM
I'll post a few pics later from my phone.

Today, I was "silver coating" the standing seam front porch roof. Silver Coat, is an asphalt blend binder, into which ground aluminum powder is suspended. You have to stir it to keep it suspended while you use it. It has a sort of brownish grey look when you brush it down, and then, the powder floats to the top. So, you can spill a drop ... looks black ... and you can watch it turn brillant silver.

It's THE traditional finish for older standing seam roof systems.

I still had some seams to set right (stomped down by careless workers thru the years). You have to take a heavy dolly of steel and place it on the concave side of the upright seam, and hammer the convex side straight against it. Looks all tidy that way - like you care. Takes away that abused and beat up look that they take on once all stomped down.

While this has been going on, there's been some requirements from the estate obligation. Should be helpful. I'm keeping up, nearing the finish on the house project.

Checking in once again, so far, OK.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 10:46PM by barnespneumatic.
March 23, 2012 02:14AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The roof. Mashed ridge. Surface rust.

The material being mixed on the roof, with a drill and stir rod. Neat colors and swirl patterns. It takes a long time to evenly disperse the aluminum powder throughout the carrier solution. When you start, the metal is a sticky lump in the bottom. Maybe ten to fifteen pounds of powder. The top liquid is black as ink Ann nearly that watery. When mixed, the whole mess has the texture of cream of wheat or thereabouts.

The solution turning silver as it dries.
March 23, 2012 05:47PM
Gary :

Cool. Another job I want to have nothing to do with. Looks great though when done properly. I know my limitations ... and it starts with anything having the word "roof " in it.

Karl
March 23, 2012 07:49PM
Yeah. Got that one done about 3:30 this afternoon. One more to do.

Hey- excellent news! I got a referal for an electrician to change the electrial service into the house. (no, I wasn't gonna do that one). He'll put in a new 200 amp feed and box. Pull the petmit, etc. Thank God. Have been looking for that one.

Nearly there now. Gee, what a nice little project it's been. Give you such a nice warm, exhausted feeling ... Huh? winking smiley

Gary.
March 26, 2012 12:04AM
Gary :

Exhausted is right. Good news about the electritian. Sometimes things just work out.

Karl
Anonymous User
April 04, 2012 08:56PM
What a nice job. You did a better job than the roofer would do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021