Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Slowly completing air rifles... magazine article.. Great Forum

Slowly completing air rifles... magazine article.. Great Forum
April 05, 2012 01:16PM
Hello Everyone,

I have been visiting the forum on and off but hardly seem to have time. Trying to do more now that I have an iphone. Neat cell phone.

One thing I must say... I appreciate that this forum is family friendly!!!!! I visited another one recently and really dismayed at the langauge and images used as avatars. I would hate to have my nephews visit those sites to learn more about airguns and discover the indecency. My thanks to you all!

Posted a short video on youtube the other day.
Concept 4 - Wood Grips

More work has to been done on the wood and will post sometime. It has been nearly 2 years if not more since I started this project. The rifles need some finishing, polish the aluminum (thinking of trying Cerakote to paint) and stain the wood, etc. Recently reworked the trigger and sear as I wasn't happy with how they engaged. One valve isn't sealing on one of them so hopefully can rework it and get it all completed.

Reason I am trying to get the rifles completed...

1) I have so many ideas I want to try, but first need to wrap up existing projects.
2) A magazine from the UK has asked me to write an article on "homemade, amateur" airgun building.

Will see how that will go... english class was never my favorite subject in school, and by no means am I a good writer.

Wishing you all a good Easter...

Pedro G

P.S. I finally added more pictures from my Bolivia Trip in December - In the "I'm Just Saying" section, sorry that I took so long.
April 05, 2012 07:56PM
Looks pretty neat! I'd like to see how the project progesses and shoots!
April 05, 2012 09:58PM
Hi Pedro, that looks realy great, I love the solid action and air tank on the rear. I too am an amateur airgun builder down under here in New Zealand. Ive managed to refine my airguns quite well especialy the valve hammer side of things and am happy to share what I've learnt.If you'd like to get in touch I can be emailed at wbblaze@slingshot.co.nz . Hi to all, Danny.
April 07, 2012 01:43AM
OK, i'm staying TUNED in!
April 07, 2012 05:03AM
Looking forward to seeing your work Pedro!
Cheers
Neil
April 09, 2012 07:47PM
Hello,

Thanks for the response. Saturday I went over to my dad's shop and made some new valves as the first ones didn't want to seat well enough to seal all the time. After that completed, I started to sand the aluminum and then buffed it. Got it fairly shiny, but need to do more sanding as I didn't get out all the milling cutter marks.

disassembled.JPG
Polished.JPG
Polished2.JPG
shiny.JPG

Since I didn't have to work Monday and wife went to out I decided it was time to chrony these rifles. I had a rough idea what the FPS would be as I am using a 1400 psi regulator from JDS Airman.

Here is the first shot....

Crony1.JPG

WOW - WHAT POWER!!! 39.5 fps that is totally jaw dropping performance!!
Actually a big dissappointment, haha. I quickly figured out that I may have switched valves and might not be lining up properly. So some disassembly was needed.

Fix.JPG

Went to fill the airtank only have 2000 PSI left from last summer.

Crony2.JPG

Well thats is better. One rifle was at 580ish and the other was pushing 690 fps. Will hopefully got one more tank for the other this summer with a 2800 PSI regulator. I think these rifles could potentially fire .22 pellets at 800+ FPS. Hopefully things warm up soon, then I finish off the wood pieces this week and apply stain. When rifles are completed, I can then register with the Canada Firearms Center and be perfectly legal. That will all depend on the status of the current long gun registry which has now been defeated in government, but the law has not been passed as of yet.

After completion I have to get some high quality pics for the magazine article. Will see how it all turns out.

Thanks for reading.

Pedro
April 22, 2012 05:24PM
love the chunky look , i like the look of milling marks too , makes things look ,,,,, engineered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021