Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Back in the saddle

Back in the saddle
April 11, 2012 12:58AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Completing the 308 ballistic tooling. Making the molds ...

From the completed cherry mill cutters of the bullet slug designs.

I'll have some field results once I've cast some copies.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 01:00AM by barnespneumatic.
April 11, 2012 02:43AM
Hi Gary,

Glad to see you back at it. Wish you all the best of health.
Always interesting to see you making your awesome rifles, molds, and the
craftsmanship that you put into your work smiling smiley

God bless,

Pedro
April 11, 2012 03:38AM
Thanks Pedro.
Looks like you have some nice work coming along too. Good luck with it. Always a loooong road from idea to the holes in the target. winking smiley
Gary
April 11, 2012 05:58AM
Hey, uh..........what's under the shop cloth?lipsaresealed

You mill those mold blocks with a fly cutter correct?

Lon
April 11, 2012 06:13PM
I must need new glasses. I thought the cherry cutters looked odd, didn't realize a shop cloth was over the actual cutting contour until I took another look at the pic this morning.

Must be the stress of being at work and not able to work on and shoot airguns....

Gary, looking forward to seeing the rifle and target groups.
April 11, 2012 07:06PM
Yeah. No use to give away work to the ones who don't want to do the research and field work. Of course, some of the slug designs that don't fly might occasionally leak ... footinmouth. Haha

That shop cloth is leather guys. You know I treat you better then that. Haha. If I mask things, I do it with class! winking smiley

Gary
April 12, 2012 01:33AM

Each end of the mold carries three cavities. Different design each end - two total. Six total cavities.

Each are cut separately, one at a time. Trick is to get them as close as possible to identical. Here's the combines weights of three. Average shown.

Then here are the individual slugs from this casting session.

Very close. Now we will see if they fly.

Gary
April 12, 2012 02:07PM
Meaning ... A slug cast in Cavity #1 weighs as noted, etc, etc.
April 11, 2012 11:41PM
Gary,
Your right about showing to much online. I have learned to be more cautious about details I post. My hats off to you making everything from scratch. Only years of practical experience allow for making a cherry and mold to desired specs without making scrap.

I started experimenting with big bore barrels a few years ago. I realize now that I made many mistakes with the first barrels I tried button rifling with. Hopefully later this year I can put what I learned to practical use.

Have a good week.

P. S. First time making a post with my iPhone. Really neat!
April 12, 2012 12:16AM
I completed the mold this evening, and cast a few first run slugs from it awhile ago. It drops one slug @ .310" and the other at .311". Both size beautifully to .307" if desired.

One slug is 84.5 grains and the other 91.22 grains. However; I cleaned the pot, got the crud off the walls and bottom (I'm rusty - forgot that) and gained another 100 degrees. Might get more. With the lead hotter, and knowing the slugs are correct now - I can continue and cast a batch. They will be more clean and full. Might gain a grain or two. We'll see.

Should be what I need for the Barnes 308 Series. I've needed to complete this missing link for the several in the field, the couple on the Reverse Ledger, and the ones in the ledger build parts tubes.

I'll get some into the air asap. Hope they fly accurately.

Had the power company and electrician here this am. Finally had a really fine experience with a hired expert. That's probably why it snowed here today (just a bit). winking smiley So, now I have new upgraded service to the property. I think I'll put 200 Watt light bulbs in every socket! excited

Pedro - hope you enjoy your iphone. I've enjoyed mine. Great tool.

Gary
April 12, 2012 03:42PM
Gary,

How do you true up the mold blocks, fly cutter? All sides?

Lon
April 12, 2012 03:50PM
Lathe. Four jaw chuck. thumbs up
April 12, 2012 12:10AM
And Well worn leather t that.
April 12, 2012 12:22AM
That's right Rick! As you know, this is a working shop. ;?) smileys with beer

Those cherries are even laying ON the leather bench surface!!! Now THAT is well worn. Not some fancy pants mocked up display in a snooty gallery! grinning smiley That's real patina!!

thumbs up

Gary
April 19, 2012 11:05AM
best way to keep a secret ................... dont tell anyone.
my grandad used to say that ,,, he was a wise man.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021