Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Couple of range pics.

Couple of range pics.
April 16, 2012 02:10AM
Range Woodsman SS, Orion 305.JPG

We put some great hits on the new "switchblade" target at approx.100 yards.

Range Woodsman SS, Orion 300.JPG

We shot a lot of video clips of us shooting. Jerry's son Timmy came along for the shoot. He did a fine job.

Range Woodsman SS, Orion 314.JPG

The 32 calibers would not trip the Switchblade target's mass. But Timmy put a fine group on this paddle of the target @ 100 yards with Dad's Woodsman 62/32. That gun really barks! And, it loves Bishops. In fact - SOMEONE seemed to feed ALL of the Barnes 32 Bishops thru the gun so that when Dad sat down to do some target shooting later .. he found the cupboard bare. hahah. Had to use another slug. As I recall - the Pepper Grinders did a find job too.

Range Woodsman SS, Orion 303.JPG

This is why we moved the target back to 100 yards. Jerry's Yukon was putting the hurt on the plate steel. I'd burned up band saw blades, my plasma cutter didn't like it, and my torch sputtered along to finish the rough cut on this Krpytonite based salvage steel plate. And then, Jerry's lead slug bent the stuff like clay. He was using his gutter slug which upped the FPE to about 850 or something. Pretty sure he unwound the rifling and definitely voided the warrenty .... whistling .... Bang!

Range Woodsman SS, Orion 307.JPG

My Orion was shooting it's 625 grain default slug very, very accurately. It does a real number on a coke can at 100 yards too! hahah. Poof. Gone. Well, when shooting the heavy paddles on the switchblade target, this is all the lead that remains. Maybe 50 grains. I'll weigh one of these. These things hit hard.

Range Woodsman SS, Orion 325.JPG

We hung up some "reactive targets" from the scrub trees along the hedge row along the field edge. Here, an old container got filled with water and sprayed white, as the light was fading. It was no trouble to pound it with slugs from both 30/32 Woodsman inserts. I then said I'd shoot the cap/rope interface off with the goal to drop it. These were hung around 80 yards IIRC. The new 308 slug flies very true. Effortless to hit what you want.

Jerry has all the videos. I have some more pics on my iphone. But I have to load a huge number of pics. I haven't loaded any since the computer season from hell started. I have about 1,800 pics on the phone now. hummmm. Will take a while. hourglass

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 02:18AM by barnespneumatic.
April 16, 2012 10:42PM
that was some hard hitting, accurate shooting guys..Glad everyone got outside and had a good time.
looking forward to any video's & or pics
April 16, 2012 11:11PM
Thanks Rick.
It had been some time since I could shoot. I enjoyed gettingnout. It does reset some of the circuit breakers. Let's a bit of the kid out, where you can think of something purely for fun. I've had so many non option requirements on my time recently. AND I proofed a few new things too. The 308 series is now more complete. And the Orion family of design proves itself. This woodsman has a healthy dose of Orion genes. It works great. And the insert within the slide breech concept works great.

Gary
April 17, 2012 01:25AM
GEEZ, it's time you guyz move up to AR500 steel...lol! You won't ding or hurt those. but GOOD GOD MAN, to bend steel that thick is ridiculous. But COOL. Very COOL!

Another great post and cant wait to see the vids.

Sooooo GB, are you ever gonna MARKET those Switchback targets? Hummmmmmmmm?! Inquiring minds wanna know!
April 17, 2012 02:46AM
Hi Cedric,
Yeah. You wanna see me get chased by angry mobs with torches and pitchforks. Right? Haha. I've been looking for a little project to fill in the dead spaces. Haha.
Maybe we can have an expensive shop weekend seminar and everybody gets to make one to take home? Haha. Be a nice carry on pc of baggage. winking smiley
I really thought this tough stuff would stand up. But it's vulnerable inside 200 yards I think. winking smiley
Gary
I think we're all afraid to post videos now that you've made Jurasic Park look like amature attempt. People used to be thrilled with my 30 second clips for dial up modem. They moved and talked and everything. Now .... Even sadder

Haha. laughing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021