Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Small time opportunity. NOW W/ PICS AND THE SKINNY!

Small time opportunity. NOW W/ PICS AND THE SKINNY!
April 26, 2012 02:37AM
Dig around in your couch cushions tonight. Check your coat pockets. Maybe the console in your ride. You'll just need some small folding money if this appeals to you. I thought of a small curiosity with some neat interest points. I'll show you and explain sometime tomorrow. You know ... I can't make a bunch of inexpensive guns. Can't sell the tools I make. Don't have a line of clothing. nowthatIthink. Haha. But, I did thinknof something clever, I think. Another idea!

Now, I also have some heavy appts. tomorrow too ... Regarding the estate issue. So; while I don't expect they'll lock me up. inmate - ya never know .... Haha. I'll tell you my intention is to make the post tomorrow. winking smiley

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 09:36PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Small time opportunity
April 26, 2012 12:05PM
OOH ooh pick me pick me cant wait to seeee what ya dooin???

Thanks
Kurt
Re: Small time opportunity: Updated Information and Pics
April 26, 2012 05:28PM
I'll type up the discussion of my small items ... and then drop in some pics with my phone.

Have you ever heard of a "Smoke Print"? Classic Engravers and Gunsmiths use a dirty flame to smoke up the surface of a part which must be mated to another. Put back in place, the soot rubs off where the parts touch. Giving an indication of additional fitting work.

Engravers take "Smoke Prints" to study the work in progress, and to record works for their ledgers. You may also use the technique to copy a pattern from side to side, or to reverse a pattern for the other side. It's "Old School". Definitely Analog! It appeals to me for any number of reasons. You don't need a host of digital equipment which will decide you haven't said all the proper "Mother may I's?" before it will let you do the most simple task. You don't need the ink and the paper and the chemical transfer ... just smoke and a good grade of clear tape.

An engraving will have a "topography" to it. A "relief" to the design. You hold the part over a dirty flame, and coat it with a layer of jet black soot. You apply a pc. of tape (carefully and without moving) ... and then press it down. Lift the tape, and it will have captured the soot residing on the uppermost surfaces of the design. The result is striking and very detailed.

Now - you may press the tape onto a card stock, or you may put another pc. of tape on the back ... to make a see through (and thus reversable) image.

I was using the technique the other day, when I decided to make a small "shop card" for my wife. It turned out really neat! And, the idea stuck in my head. "Hey ... people are always interested in the small details that make up the work. I make countless tools and jigs and fixtures to do different processes. Most I don't show because I'm not teaching a college level coarse on tool making or airgunsmithing. In order to buy and use accessory items I might make ... you need to already have a Barnes PCP. I've made small curiosity items, from time to time ... but they still take a good bit of time and can't be made quickly or inexpensively.

OK .. some of you are ahead of me. How about a neat handmade "Smoke Print" suitable to display in a small frame? I thought about it ... and decided I'd do them as individual origonals. No digital copy. No placing them on a prepared photocopied base stock. I'd hand record what they were. Do them each individual. Make each smoke print by hand as an original. AND ... make a limited number. And so, I've made 25 cards up. And, they are actual cards (index cards using the white side). I use these cards for everything in the shop from recording things, to notes, to patterns, to cushions to protect parts. When I get a few related to a certain project ... I laminate then into a larger page of the individual cards. So; they have a history and a place in my shop. I've made a limited edition of 25 Smoke Prints. Each hand written and hand placed on the card. Don't know if I'll do it again, or when. It's here now.

I'll drop in the pics and additional details now.
Re: Small time opportunity: Updated Information and Pics
April 26, 2012 05:40PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here is one of the cards. 3 by 5 index card. Drop it into a small document frame or put a mat around it and use a nice 5 by 7 frame. A neat curiosity piece. And an old school limited edition print.

I made them all, and they are laying here. No worry about me needing to find time to get back to it. Now, each says 1 of 25. I did NOT number them 1,2,3 because I needed to keep it simple and not worry about who wanted which number and who contacted me first, etc.

I will send them in an envelope so they're not damaged. For the print and mailing, $20 per card.

Email or pm. Hope you enjoy them.

Gary
April 26, 2012 05:47PM
Hi Gary

Smoke Prints? I'm in. you still taking old fashion currency?

addy to send the cash?

thanx

dan

dhouse@montana.edu
April 26, 2012 06:43PM
Hi Dan,
Good to hear from you. winking smiley
Thanks much.

For this:
Barnes Pneumatic
Box 138
New Windsor, Md. 21776-0138

Glad you like them. I'll post one in a frame later.

Gary
April 26, 2012 10:32PM
Hello Gary,

I would like to have one. Money is on it's way.

Thanks,

Julio
April 27, 2012 01:38AM
Thanks Julio!

Here are a couple of inexpensive frames and mats I bought this evening. Its sometimes hard for folks to visualize intentions. I think these look like a very classy curiosity piece.

And, I doubt seriously if anyone will find limited edition one off unique art for less of an investment. winking smiley

Make you a bet! One day, one of these 25 smoke print cards will be displayed beside one of my guns in a museum. A number of my knives have been displayed in the National Knife Museum for about 20 years Take my bet? Haha.

Gary

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 03:31AM by barnespneumatic.
April 27, 2012 07:13PM
Hey is that a horn i hear? Only the driver can honk ond you are the driver Save one for me the checks in the mail. By the way what is the name of the museum?Never knew they had a knife museum. I dont get out much

Thanks
Kurt
April 27, 2012 09:25PM
Hi Kurt.
Thanks. Hope you enjoy it.
Called "The National Knife Museum". In Knoxville, Tenn. (0r is it Chattanoga?)
winking smiley
Gary
April 28, 2012 10:52PM
Gary,
They look great! Please put my name on one. Well, not literally of course.smiling smiley
Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 10:54PM by Scott.
April 28, 2012 11:27PM
Thank you Scott,

I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy it. The one I framed here is working just fine! thumbs up. A small piece of the process that makes up the body of work. That either clicks with your way of thinking, or it's just smoke on tape. But then, engraving is just a chunk of metal with some scratches on it. take a bow. Glad you want one.

Best,
Gary
April 29, 2012 03:47AM
Gary,

Ditto for me please reserve one for me

Joe
April 29, 2012 04:17PM
Thank you Joe.

I hope you enjoy it! Many thanks. Green bowing

Gary
April 30, 2012 03:53AM
Hope you still have one for my wall! Please put my name on one, no really...put my name on it.

Y'all be careful holding those candles to your Barnes', some of them cleaning fluids and oils are inflamable and the o-rings won't like too much heat either.hot smiley

A neat momento,

Kent
April 30, 2012 04:19AM
Hi Kent,
Sure thing. Thanks. Glad you like it. thumbs up
Just struck me as a neat snap shot during the process. To stop and make a few copies ... hourglass ... then it's gone ... like smoke! It really appealed to me, from an artistic twist, to control something as random as smoke. To capture it, form it, record it, and thus to create something from as close to nothing as you can.
It's been interesting to see who felt the same. You have to tune in to some of those thoughts to bother to want one.
bowing -- Far East
Gary. (Smoke Wrangler). Pipe smoker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:24AM by barnespneumatic.
April 30, 2012 05:54PM
Gary,
Put my name on one as well please. I really like this idea.

Rick
April 30, 2012 09:14PM
Thank you Rick.

I hope you enjoy it. take a bow

Good, this is one less person that I won't have to: fly in, rent a car, and come lean on for a twenty dollar bill. bad dude
laughing.
May 01, 2012 03:54AM
Sorry .. just my humorous way of observing behavior. I doubt very, very few have ever heard of smoke prints. Something like 165 reads now. But the only comment, at all, has come from the few who said they'd like to purchase one. Puts me in mind of the commercials with big bad bikers in them, and the regular folk are saying ... "just don't LOOK at them!". Haha. I wondered if readers envisioned a senerio where they wrote, "hummm ... smoke print ... I've never hea... ". And I'd blurt out... YA WANNA BUY ONE???". laughing. I mean, well over 5,000 posts and I don't think you'll find any where I was chasing down a sale. So; I just kept waiting for a general conversation on the technique and usage ... and then perhaps a few would like one. Instead, we got a few kindred spirits and pretty much shut down the forum. "maybe it'll just go away .... ". More coffee

I do try, really I do. Maybe it just takes more then five thousand posts to get people to loosen up and feel more comfortable with ya ... winking smiley

Ok ... Enough psyc. observation. We got the rest of these prints to sell! chainsaw. Get crackin'.

Just kidding ... more innocent

Gary
May 02, 2012 01:50AM
Gary,

I'll take one, and if my brother hasn't contacted you, I'll get one for him also.

Keith
May 02, 2012 03:34AM
Thank you Keith. And I'll set one aside for Karl too. Thanks much.

How's the world of writing code these days? I've talked to a few different people who told me their respective business areas had picked up a good bit. All different types of occupations. Maybe eight separate people over the last few weeks.

Man, I've done soooo many things (off stage) in the last few months. I've gotten more done in less time then I have in two years. Not applicable to discussions here. Only so far as I am the business and what effects me effects the business. If I tell the reader that I HAVE to take care of some things ... I do. And, I have. Really glad to report that I've been feeling better for some months. I know it's partly related to getting the epidural injections in the correct place. Partly related to a more balanced treatment plan. Other then that, I don't know why. Because the stress level has been up there. But, I'll take the grace. Thank God.

Thanks again Keith. Thanks for reading.
Gary
May 03, 2012 06:53PM
Gary, beautiful work on the engraving, and who could pass up a Barnes 1 of 25 original smoke print for $25 and no handleing and delivery charge! Put me down for one if there is any left ? Check will be in the mail tomorrrow.
May 03, 2012 10:57PM
Hi Robert!

Ah ... you're killin' me here .... I could've had another FIVE BUCKS!! It's only $20 Robert. hahah. There goes the retirement plan .... laughing

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Gary

Readers: I know the posts have been light recently. Help me out if you can. Post some of your airgun related stuff. I've been under a pile of phones, and scanners, and printers, and meetings, and appointments. Read this. Correct that. Approve this. A bunch of stuff related to that old estate issue. If the courts ever direct you to handle someone's estate ... flee.

Beside this, we went through that insurance nightmare on our home. The country is in a heck of a state. Everything has changed and evolved. Kelly's business brushes shoulders with families. Companies are merging, and collapsing, and popping up under different names. According to what we've experienced, companies are developing new business models to cherry pick the least of their exposure. Our medical experiences, with myself ... have us dealing with insurance companies and medical professionals that deal with one company, don't another any longer. Deal with payments thru a combination of ins. and appeals. All takes way too much time. Our lives have become about 25% just processing the other 75%. Not whining. Just saying there are seasons where it seems I work myself to the bone in order to get the priviledge of going to the shop to work. Sorry if I've not been as much fun. Doing the multi-tasking. But hey ... I have a job. The bills are paid. We have our health. Life is good. Stick with me ... I'm working.
May 04, 2012 11:01PM
Gary,

I'm glad you are doing well. I would not say business has picked up for me, but I do have work for a little longer, and hoping it gets extended.

The money for the two prints is on its way.

Keith
May 06, 2012 12:52AM
Hmmm...

I guess if you want to make some money on prints, you're gonna have to print hundred-dollar bills. winking smiley
May 06, 2012 03:35AM
Ok Sean. I can. I'll send you one. You can pay it any way you wish. laughing
May 06, 2012 06:34PM
Oh...I dunno. Those Treasury guys get so perturbed any time someone ELSE wants to practice a little banknote engraving. Just naturally jealous of other people talents, I guess.winking smiley
May 06, 2012 11:46PM
Read it again Sean. Haha. $100 bill ... Invoice. Humor. Hah. winking smiley
May 15, 2012 10:32PM
Winner winner chicken dinner .Got my origional Barnes smoke print today man it looks much more intense in real life gary and thats only on paper.You should let me get the matching gun also well except for the customer thing .That probably wouldnt go over to well. I was wondering if you use the same technic on wood carving seems like a sooty torch might wreck the wood. maybe ink or just plane tracing to transfer pattern or maybe chalky powder? maybe trade secret good job thanks for oppertunity YOU'RE THE MAN

Thanks
Kurt
May 16, 2012 12:02AM
Hello Kurt!
So glad you got it and like it!!! I thought they were fun. And such a curious technique. I think you could do a wood piece, if don't correctly. I'll
Have to try it and see.
Better let the customer have this one. winking smiley
Glad you like it. Thanks for the comment Kurt.
Gary
May 18, 2012 02:58PM
Mine arrived in Wednesday's post.

Beautiful piece of work! Photos here do not do it justice.

Thanx Gary! Getting mine framed then hanging it in the shopartist
May 18, 2012 08:50PM
Hey, let's see some pictures of where the prints ended up!
May 18, 2012 10:42PM
I have a glass top on my desk at work and keep some awards and certs i have but in a special spot i have a 3x5 in painting of the bridge of sighs a place in venice i visited while getting trained on a cnc machine . The bridge is joining a palace (court room) to a prison and when a prisoner was sentenced they were taken accross the bridge and the last thing they saw was a beautiful view of the Grand canal and the beautifuly crafted bridge. I will be putting my smoke print next to that painting and when i am having a stressfull day i look down and think about Italy and also will think of garys stress free days in his shop all alone and shooting my air guns

Thanks
Kurt
May 19, 2012 01:08AM
Hello Kurt. That's magnificent. I am very honored. take a bow. Thank you, sincerely.
Gary
May 18, 2012 09:25PM
That's great Dan!! I'm so glad that you guys are liking them. I hoped you would. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021