Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: To Infinity and Beyond .... NOW PICS!

To Infinity and Beyond .... NOW PICS!
May 12, 2012 03:42AM
Nothing horrible in here ... but you might want coffee ....

Brandy Lane 179.JPG

Brandy Lane 212.JPG

I've been in this intersection of quite a few star trails for all of 2012, so far. It proves to be a big year, for myself and my family. I have been working my way along a bunch of different roads, for the last five or six years. Looking for some point they all intersect that might allow me to move on to the rest of my life. Here are the high points quickly: 1) My health. You know the story, and know it's seemed somewhat improved this year. 2). The Estate. You know my parents left a horrible tangled mess that the courts decided "I" should sort out. 3). The Business. You know the current model - work like heck to get the ledger out - make an occasional "reverse ledger" sale. No orders. 4). The Infrastructure. Make it all work. Home, Shop, Needs. 5). The future. Be responsible. Be honest. Do not, under any circumstances leave a mess like my parents did. Act upon what you have learned.

Those are the high spots. Any one of those, at any given minute; could reach in and consume a week or three. And, there's no manual on how to do this, with this set of variables.

The known facts that stood out: 1). An improved current health status, is no guarantee of a long run of same. Cite for example; the last five years when it was far worse. 2). You cannot be responsible for untangling the legal results of other people's poor decisions, for five years, without feeling compelled to act upon the lessons learned. 3). My home was the result of the purchase of a 24 year old man, who had many skills, and endless energy. Things change. Nothing improves with age. 4). My shop is too small, difficult to maintain, and ineffecient. 5). Out off the four seasons; only a few months are less painful to chronic pain sufferers. That's half of Spring, Summer, and half of Fall. The rest hurt, far worse. 6). The home market is on the rocks. 7). I won't get much younger from here on out.

Those are the high spots.

I have tried to find an intersection of these various lines, where the best case senerio exists for the future of my wife and I, and my business. I think I've found it. Here's how it's been done.

I have diligently sought to bring this estate mess to a conclusion. The whole experience has been ... disappointing. Some months back, decisions I made seemed to be leading to a conclusion. My health management program has been refined to improve results. Part of this was just through a simple communication breakthrough, and follow-up alterations. My wife and I have prepared ourselves, for many years now ... to be able to make some difficult decisions, and stick to the program. For well over a year now, we have been researching other areas of the country - honing our research - disgarding - looking afresh. It's been no secret that we need to go South. I must have a more warm and regular climate. It's no secret that the Victorian Age did not produce maintenance free anythings. We must have vast reductions in maintenance requirements as we age. I have witnessed the tragic results of refusing to follow simple common sense knowledge ... by rather hanging onto lost visions of the past. The general collapse of the housing and property markets in the US, has devistated the existing value of homes and property ... yet ... provided an unequaled opportunity to purchase.

Intersection.

I've been able to bring the Estate matter, to about 98% conclusion. The rest is sweeping up. I am no longer tied to this area, in order to process this mess. While scrambling to work thru the insurance nightmare tossed into our laps by reorganizing Insurance companies ... I was forced to take the time to get my home into better condition then it's ever been in. I was only able to do all of this since my pain management was working better. I sure hope it lasts. I can't count on it, but it's been here for a time, and I've used it. After several trips to scout locations, we have been able to purchase a property that suits our needs. We'll be in the Panhandle of Florida. Take 95 South, and hang a right on Rt. 10 at Jacksonville. Property has a downsized ranch style home - maintenance free. It has a great studio/shop - maintenance free. It's a large building, even including kitchen, bath, and workareas. Property has enough land for my needs. No more packing off to test and shoot. Since the many segments of my work do not mix (woodworking shop and welding shop - for instance) ... I have contracted for the building of a second large shop building - maintenance free - and bisected into two seperate additional shops by a firewall. Studio handles various clean work segments of my crafts. Office, engraving, finishing, anodizing, assembly, photography, etc. Second shop is the machine/welding shop. Third: Woodworking.

We have engineered a move using the PODS system. Things will disappear from here, and reappear in Fla. at the appointed time. Building errection is set to conclude in time.

I would have been a complete fool to blow through this intersection ... get on down the road ... and find my health compromised, my home and shop beyond my maintenance ability, and my business in disarray because of this. This has been engineered to do the absolute best I can, with what I have had to work with. And to take very great advantage of the current state of real estate pricing. It's not been a simple task ... and it's far from complete. But I wanted to bring you to date. Let you know I have not been golfing. Let you know the future has been expected.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 04:16PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: To Infinity and Beyond ....
May 12, 2012 04:17AM
Whoo Hooo!!! Spring break !!!sunny

I think this move is going to be a good one for you and Kelly. The moving part sucks moose antlers of course, but just think...no more snow shovelling...EVER! Of course, there is the hurricane issue, but barring that and the corrosive influence of salt air things should even stay fixed for a while instead of falling apart while your back is turned. There is the alligator thing, and giant snakes, and of course the huge cockroaches but these are but a small price to pay for the perpetual absence of the dreaded white curse of northern living.

Being an Army aviation guy when you said "panhandle", the place that immediately came to mind was Panama City Fl., the cheesy-airbrushed-T-shirt capital of the western world. PC is famous/infamous to the last several generations of Army pilots as the beach closest to Ft. Rucker Alabama, the Army's main aviation training center. They used to call it the "redneck Riviera", probably still do.

I guess one of these days I'll have to go see what the Atlantic side of the state looks like. smiling smiley

Congratulations on finally getting things wrapped up to the point where you can head south.

Sean
May 12, 2012 02:15PM
Hi Sean,

Well, we decided against actually buying "IN" the swamp. Opted for dry land with nice long leaf pines, live oak, and magnolia. ;?)

I'll be able to work here in New Windsor, while co-ordinating to have the second building errected. We researched and found a company that does the whole thing from pulling the permit to handing you the key. That's all they do, and fast. They will prep the site, pour the concrete, errect building, and even have their electrician "people". Sweet. And, it's amazingly reasonable. I'd have done same years ago here, but had no room and it would not be allowed at this location.

Couple of terrain pics ...

Brandy Lane 179.JPG

Brandy Lane 145.JPG
May 12, 2012 03:56PM
Good for you gary , you deserve a comfy life after all you been thru. Something i didnt realize till later is that CHRONIC pain effects all people around you especially the close ones. When the pain is bad i get mean and turn into an aaaaa ooooo,Thatz what my wife tells me, The welding in my garage that is attached to my house has always scared me and i dont mess with wood at all. I wanted to get tig welder just for that reason but cant afford one just yet wire feed throws to many sparks. I think i have one more move in me ( not for couple yrs) but i want to go north cause i still love the snow and would really miss the extreme season change just need to build indoor shoot range for those cooooold days, I pray for you that the epidural shots keep workin i thank my wife for finding me a good doc that can direct you to proffessionals that have good track records (she is in health care ) good luck hope you dont loose any thing in move LOL you will remember to get help movin heavy stuff i think your only allowed so many shots that steroid stays in your system
May 13, 2012 02:16AM
You are right about Kurt. I can only get the injections every four months max. Beyond that .. you risk killing the surrounding bone. Since that surrounding bone is your spinal column ... that would be a bummer. Used to be the effect of these injections lasted about 2 to 2.5 months. Month three was painful. Month 4 was a screamer. With more careful work ... I'm getting the four months now ... and that is a God's Blessing.

Thanks Kurt!

Gary
May 12, 2012 04:11PM
Well, this is going to make weekend shoots in the snow a little tougher! crying

Congrats on finding the perfect spot and set-up. It's going to be awesome!
May 12, 2012 07:12PM
Thank you gents. take a bow

I shall not miss snow, nor ice, cold, congested buildings, congested roads, or the northern crazy people. I
Sure I will find some southern crazy people. However; it did not take a road sign to tell me when I was getting near Virginia. The road warriors came out and the roads shut down.

Found a place within about five minutes of a Walmart Superstore, a Lowes, Winn Dixie Grocery, Banks, several restaurants, a circular lake with circular park, walking and bike trail all the way around. We got hooked up thru doing our research.

And ... my daughter pointed out that timing has it's way of working out. If I'd been looking a couplebof years ago ... I'd have missed this place. The fellow was building my studio and the place would not have been for sale!!

Gary
May 12, 2012 09:49PM
It will be interesting to see what gets rediscovered during the move. Who knows what's hidden in the shop? surprised
thumbs upRe: To Infinity and Beyond ....
May 13, 2012 01:34AM
It will be another good opportunity to organize and inventory. There are soooo many components. That will be helpful.
May 12, 2012 04:26PM
Gary,

VERY nice area, congratulations.

Gassing up the truck now.woodsman

Lon
May 12, 2012 05:40PM
Bunkhouse, guestrooms, camping sites with rental rifles available ?

Joe
May 12, 2012 06:41PM
Maybe you could get someone (hint hint) to dig you out a pond with their bulldozer, get a couple of canoes, the whole nine yards. Bass fishing at Camp Barnes?woodsman Also, there's nothing better than heading down to the beach and just watching the surf roll in when things get too heavy. Might take a bit of a drive, but you'll at least have the option.

Are you sure that you'll be able to adapt to working in a shop where you can actually turn around without having to move something first? One with decadent luxuries like decent lighting and an adequate number of power outlets? You might even have (gasp)...storage! The elves are gonna be a bit freaked out at first, might have to buy them some sunglasses.cool smiley
May 13, 2012 01:54AM
Several beaches are within an hour's drive. I'm sure that will be wonderful for Kelly and the grandkids. We will even have 4 grandkids within an hour, and a total of 9 within about 10 hours' drive. We are also hoping the location will be a "destination location" for the family.
May 13, 2012 02:09AM
A few more pics:

Brandy Lane 212.JPG

View from up on the terraced garden hillside. Top of Studio.

Brandy Lane 252.JPG

I believe I will be able to think here! winking smiley

Brandy 3 014.JPG

One shot from inside current studio. There are several rooms in there. That will work well to seperate different purposes.

Gary
May 13, 2012 01:48AM
You know - I have actually kicked this around. Seminar three day weekends. Teaching and demonstration Seminars. There is room, and the shop and studio situations would be perfect. We'll see if it develops.

First order of business now, is to get this second building errected. The current owners are in the process of vacating. Have the PODS arrive and fire up the shops.

This fellow has really done an excellent job of putting together this property. For example: The Studio (he's always referred to it as such - and it's so nice that I will continue) .... the Studio has R-38 Insulation in the roof/ceiling. He's built stabalization walls a number of places to tame the landscape and keep it tidy. All have drain systems, and many are 8 by 8 treated square posts with treated planking side and top. Buildings have rain spout systems that look like the Romans built them! Out in the middle of the woods, you are likely to run into a water spigot - ready to go. The well is 330 feet deep - strong and clear. No seasonal changes. There are two Spring fed streams that cross the property. Neat.

Gary
May 13, 2012 02:42PM
Gary,

How many acres?

Lon
May 13, 2012 04:08PM
Something over 4, with a possible of another 2 we might be able to pick up. The 4 are in a configuration that leaves almost 900 feet deep on one side. I figure I'll be able to get a real safe 100 yards, at least. About half of the property is sort of like a park - nice trees but not too thick. The other half is thicker. I'll explore and thin that over time. Or, plant bamboo around it so not even gorillas can get in. hahah. LOL!
May 14, 2012 03:14AM
Gary,

What town?

My mother used to have 5 acres with a cabin in Monticello.

4 acres and no maintenance..................hmmmmmmmmmm. Astroturf?chainsaw

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 03:15AM by Bigbore.
May 14, 2012 02:18PM
Hi Lon,

Don't cut my property dude ... it's a bit over 4 acres. With 2 more an option. Men are sensitive about that stuff. ;?)

No town name. I never asked. whistling Actually, we're pleased. We'd rather not have people setting up all night doing Nexus searches to find something horrible about the place we've chosen. on the phone jammin'

Explained the grass part. "Don't Plant a Lawn". cooler Simple. Landscape techniques used include long leaf pine needle mulch, gravel, container garden plants. Magnolia Trees, Live Oaks. I've shown some pics of the terrian. And mentioned I'll acquire a heavy brush cutting unit for claiming any area not currently open. smileys with beer

You might have missed some of the extended thread. Check the pics. Should be a great location. A lot of searching to find it. grinning smiley

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 02:49PM by barnespneumatic.
May 13, 2012 02:27AM
Good for you Gary. Looks like a great place and certainly atypical of most places i have been to in Florida. I kinda like it!
Steve
May 13, 2012 08:07AM
So...where are you gonna plant the bamboo?

why me
May 13, 2012 04:19PM
Front of the Studio is cluttered with OPS (other people's stuff) packing and moving out. I guess it just didn't occur to me to photograph that when I was standing there ... so I don't have a good pic of the front. Just one with people in it, I don't feel free to post.
May 13, 2012 06:27PM
Gary, great news and great looking place! A big decision to make but definitely the right one.
All the best with the move.
Neil
May 13, 2012 07:47PM
Thanks Neil,

We'll do it as effeciently as possible. The last few years here, I've worked in chains and shackles. The place is mostly move in ready. Home and studio. The second shop building will be also before the move. Therefore; it's unpack the PODS where they go, and go to work. No needing to rebuild the place. We looked long and hard for that. We'd fine homes and land. Land and a big shop building. A big shop building and an home and no land. Or some component of the equation was a mess. Even buildings that were TOO large. How about a 60 by 100 building about 16" tall!!! How'd you like to climate control that cubic footage??

Finally, we found the Goldie Locks Solution. Just right. I can finish the tidy up here, and work in the shop until right before the other one is complete. Every effort made to be down as short a time as possible.

smileys with beer

Gary
May 13, 2012 07:35PM
Hello Gary,

Wishing Kelly and yourself all the best as you make changes & move. Sounds like a great place to live.

Hope your pain is relieved and you can enjoy getting back to what you do best!

God's richest blessing to you both,

Pedro
May 13, 2012 07:50PM
Thank you Pedro. We sincerely appreciate it.

BTW guys. Most of the smoke prints have been mailed out. Thanks.

It's gonna be a relief to not have this big question hanging over our heads soon. The move or stay issue. The question of ongoing maintenance - the question of health issues.

Boy - it's going to be amazing to be able to just test my work outside the shop, instead of mounting an expedition to do so.

Gary
May 14, 2012 12:42AM
Gary

That is AWESOME news - I am very happy for you and Kelly!!!!

Now you won't need to go on vacation....you will be there! more innocent

There is a Mayo Clinic branch In Jacksonville if I am not mistaken, so you should be able to hook up with good docs as well.

Best of luck with the move and all that goes with it....now we will all have a reason to visit in the winter......
May 14, 2012 02:52AM
Hi Joebill,

Yes .... We are relieved that we will not have the burden of vacations henceforth! Haha. thumbs up. We shall remain in a festive frame of mind daily. "festive".

All we have to do is connect the dots we have laid out and we will wake up there one morning and walk to the shop. Yeah. I'll be able to let multiple projects at their stations. Move between them instead of having to clear away things to make work space. I'll have my tooling beside it's machine. Work tables and benches. Room to walk. Won't have to fight to get a vaccum through the shop. Should be glorious.

NO GRASS to mow!!! Long leaf pine needles shall suffice. The only time I walk on grass is to carefully trim, then mow, then dump the clippings, then cart the clippings away. Fertilize it. Rake it. Re-seed it. Water it. What a gimmick. You need a trimmer that peaks your BP to start. You need gas and oil. String trimmer cord. Sharpen mower blades. Staybill to store it. Right... Garden shed full of tools to trim and mow. And, after the sweep up and the dust pans ... You NEVER walk on a blade of it until you do it all again. Shoes full of trimmings and dust. Lungs full of dust. Muscles tired. Legs ache. I've mowed grass for nearly fifty years. ENOUGH!!!! knucklehead. And don't gets started on snow!! Haha !!!

I have better to leave behind then a yard that needs mowing and trimming. Or roofs that need to be coated and painted and shingled and tarred and renewed. No painted trim. No frozen and cracked and heaved concrete to fix ... yet again.

I will have some brushy/woodsey clingy stuff. And I'll get the biggest baddest brush eaten' DR whacker I can afford and just laugh as it blows out the ... wherever. Or a tractor or some sort of 57 Chevy meets Logger Man hybrid. winking smiley

Can't wait to stroll down to the shop and flick the switch.
Anonymous User
May 15, 2012 10:36PM
NO SNOW, NO INSURANCE MAN, what will you do?????? OH i forgot. NO climbing on a high roof.
May 15, 2012 11:54PM
Hello Don. Haha. Well, hopefully I'll work on your gun, for one thing! winking smiley. Will take a bit of creative engineering to get this stuff loaded here, but it shall be done. thumbs up
May 16, 2012 12:27PM
Gary,
I am sure it will be hectic for a while, but the place looks and sounds beautiful!
May 16, 2012 11:03PM
Looks like good place to hang your hat. You know you cant have a nice place like that without owning one of those fancy golf carts maybe electric. That would be for touring your property with grand kids and give hay rides at halloween of course well maybe you and the misses for those moonlite rides . I always enjoyed how much larger the moon looks down south compared to Michigan ENJOY the little things..... with a cup o joe of course

Thanks
Kurt
May 17, 2012 03:08AM
Thank you Kurt,
I'm not quite sure if I'll "need" that. But I did have that in my orig. Wish list. Haha. I wanted to need one. This place is blessing to be able to get it. I realize that, and I'm grateful. It does, however; fit into the grand overall plan of "downsizing and simplifying". It's not flashy or pretentious.
You know, as an artist ... my senses would run to stone and timber. Soaring ceilings and .... well ... All that stuff is very expensive and requires an ongoing maintenance program. Usually via a "staff" or a phone list of expert contractors. Or, one might be young, skilled, and try to "be the staff". Haha. Of course, reason must prevail if maturity is to take hold.
Story: I used to dearly love classic cars. There is a period of time ... an overlap period ... where a truly fine automobile with perhaps 125k miles on it - maybe 10 years old - can still run like new, can look nearly like new, and will have a feel of elegance to it. AND it may be purchased for about the same dollar figure as the most utilitarian of new car. Sit them side by side ... there's no contest. And, for the artistic soul ... one feeds the eye better. The trick is to know when to get out. The apple of your eye begins to "need" you more and more. And deeper and deeper investments must be made to continue. You get out (maybe you got another ten years and another 100k miles), but you have to "re-up". Sell the old one and find a newer old classic. The artist and romantic will be susceptible to hanging on too long. They fall in love with the old car and don't want to let go. Takes courage to let it go. Well, I got out of the old classic car cycle quite a while back. Decided not to stay too long, or to "re- up" again.
Well, that's where I am with a big old Victorian home I've worked on these last 32 years. The artist's soul and eye is very tempted. But that back room in my mind, tells me that; at this time in my life, I have to walk away. Have to make practical decisions. Don't stay too long, and don't buy yet another maintenance hog.
And so, you asked for my life history... correct? Haha. Right ... haha ... you got the play back of everything in my head. Let's see .... Golf cart sounds fun. Sure does. I know Kent's Bad Boy Buggy has been a good ride for him. Hummm winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 03:19AM by barnespneumatic.
May 18, 2012 09:57PM
Gary,
The property looks Wonderful. Your Long term Diligence has paid off in Spades!. I am So Happy for you and Kelly to finally be able to Move on to what you want,where you want. I just got back from a 4 day Visit to the N.E. and Boy did it remind me of Why I Left! I DO NOT MISS IT at ALL. I hope the move goes smoothly for you. Remember to take some time once you get there to enjoy it. All the best

Rick G.
May 18, 2012 11:43PM
Gary,

You forgot to mention no state income tax. The panhandle is nice. My youngest goes to FSU and I like the area. It's still old Florida. Let me know when you have the house warming party, I'm sure I can make it up there and finally get my rifle out.

Keith
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021