Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Woodsman kit

New Woodsman kit
May 18, 2012 10:02PM
I had to replace the case I've used for years to hold the Woodsman. A while back I bought a Nightforce scope with the intention of using it on the Yukon for target shooting. Well, that didn't work out. The scope was great and the gun was accurate but the massive recoil turned my head into a bump stop for the scope...despite decent eye relief. A tight hold and technique to avoid bloodshed just hurt accuracy so I scraped the target scope idea and just left the EoTech sight on.

That left me with a very high quality scope not mounted on a gun. Coincidentally, I had a good scope on the Woodsman in a custom mount but that scope had no mildots or convenient way to shoot at long range. I could dial the scope in at 100 yards but going to 200 required estimating drop as a percentage of the way down the reticle post. It worked, I got the groundhog at 200 that way but it was difficult and hard to repeat. That was a shame because the gun is exceptionally accurate. So, I decided to change the Woodsman set-up. Not an easy decision! I probably had two beers just sitting and looking at the gun before I took a wrench to the custom mount!

Knowing that the Nightforce was not suitable for hunting, I also bought a Nikon P-22 scope to use for closer range shooting and when the gun is configured as a .62 smoothbore.

All this stuff would not fit in the case I'd been using. The gun with the Nightforce mounted was just too tall and there was not enough room to store the scope off the gun with the P-22 mounted.

Time to go internet shopping! This was the easy part: Down in the Gear Shack section you can find the case I bought for the Prairie 3. That's what I wanted because the quality of that case is excellent and it's big enough hold the whole Woodsman kit. I went back to the same store to order the case in a different color and discovered that Pelican has bought Storm. Fortunately, they have yet to make any changes and I could get the exact same case I wanted.

box.jpg
2 days after ordering it was here.

new owner.jpg
The case is the same but the lable has changed.

test fit.jpg
I got the gun where I wanted and started thinking about the location of the other items to go in.

done.jpg
And there you have it!

Because I have more room now, not only can I get both scopes in but I can get all the other bits in that I don't want in a general gear bag. The case at the lower left has a couple hundred .32 slugs in it and the one at the upper right will end up with maybe a few dozen .62 slugs. Naturally, I have the .62 bolt in there for when the .32 barrel comes out (stores below the first layer of foam), all the wrenches to make changes or adjust things and also a cartridge holder. That copper tube can hold 4 pre-made shot shells. This gun does great work as a shotgun so having some cartridges ready to go makes sense. The ram rod for muzzle loading cartridges longer than the breech opening stores easily between foam layers.

I'm about ready to toss this in the back of the truck, head to Florida and go shooting at Gary's new range!
May 18, 2012 10:07PM
Sweet..Nice Rig Jerry. You been hanging out with Gary too Long.! hahaha
May 19, 2012 01:21AM
Cone shooting! Heck, I want you to come organize my shops!!!! laughing
By Golly.... that is beautiful. And more organized then my last fifty years. Good job! thumbs up
On the way down the road .... might you have room for a lathe or two? grinning smiley
Gary
May 19, 2012 03:25PM
Sure, we'll just slide them in the bed. So long as they're no more than a ton each we'll be good to go!
May 20, 2012 01:54AM
Hey - LOOKY at that Mahogany stock, will ya? I used to get gripes and questions about why I used Mahogany! Just LOOK at that color now! singing heheheh
May 20, 2012 02:03AM
Hey - BTW ... Do you think anybody would be interested in buying this gun if it were ever available? Ya derned tootin' ... bad dude

That's because they've seen it. They've seen it shoot. They've seen it print tiny, tiny little groups way out there. Seen it take a groundhog at 203 yards. Seen the owner like it so much, and feel it is accurate enough ... to put a $2,700 scope on it!!! Now that's quite a run of exposure. Everybody who's followed my work, knows this gun.

How about the ones that are under a bed somewhere, in the dark, in a case, surrounded by dust bunnies? Anybody familiar with those? I mean, except when I tested them, before I shipped them off into the black hole. whistling Had a friend tell me recently ... "your guns are bought by a bunch of collectors who are waiting for you to die". stunned Well, this one sure got used and enjoyed. I'm glad.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Gary
May 20, 2012 01:09PM
That is a beautiful gun looks like somebody is treating it rite. Gary you should have had visitation rights in the contract when you divorced those guns under the beds. I new it had to be true that you cant pour your heart and sole into your work and not be sad to see it leave, From the little bit i know about you you make utilitarian pieces of art unlike other gun makers... your art comes up for resale almost never unless somebody dies or needs money for a crisis. I am a collector but if i cant shoot it whats the point wall hangers are not my style, You mite not always hear about them (your guns) but i guarantee the people in my circles are tired of hearing about my 45cal AIRCANE and the people who have them stored i would think feel the same way i do . The ones who shot it say where can i get one !!!!!!!!! and i have to tell them you cant for a couple of years and maybe NOT AT ALL i think the gunsmith is retiring to florida hahaha. probably only going to work part time

Thanks
Kurt
May 20, 2012 03:05PM
Hi Kurt,
Well, actually I'm hoping to be working nearly full time for the airgun division of Barnes Pneumatic. winking smiley. Less time with the health maintenance division, the home restoration/maintenance division, the landscape reclaimation/maintenance division, etc. Certainly not retiring. winking smiley
Glad you are pleased with your purchase. Good to hear.
Gary.
May 21, 2012 11:08PM

Do you think anybody would be interested in buying this gun if it were ever available?

"Buy Bushwood????!!!"

Gratuitous Caddyshack reference...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 1
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021