Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Roaring right along. Tuesday 3rd

Roaring right along. Tuesday 3rd
July 04, 2012 04:11AM
I met with the contractor today. Cement comes Monday. Within a few weeks, the building should be up and enclosed.

I'll soon make another run for tools. I have a nice surprise there. Tell you when it works out.

The house is mostly set up here.

Been hot, but with brief storm showers to moderate the temps. Water management on the property works very well. No issues.

Ins. Company had an issue with some back steps. I corrected that today.

Took delivery of a great tool today. A smallish used farm tractor with bucket loader. Will greatly help with lifting and moving tools. All maintenance around here. Found it in Alabama. Our plan for the general layout and maintenance here included having the tools for an old guy to do the work, and keep things without the bull labor plan of the last few decades.

Plan is to keep at this. Get back to regular production at the earliest date.

Yes, it's been stressful. Many times each day, seems I just can't think thru the headaches. But, by sticking with the program, most days have brought steps forward.

Computer issues still hound. My ISP swears it's my computer. And, tonight; I have no Internet here .., even with two different Ethernet cables. I'll have to get this corrected. At least, I've had the iPhone and have been burning that at both ends with all office needs. Amazing tool.

That's the report today. Have a happy fourth. God Bless.

Gary
July 04, 2012 08:06AM
Hi Gary
Pleased to hear you are hanging in there! It is a huge project but you are the man to manage it for sure. I (well, me and my colleagues) have a major project going on involving the demolition of our earthquake-damaged building, but we have hired a project management company to help us through the maize of problems while we keep our business running. You have to do both roles take a bow
Cheers
Neil
July 04, 2012 02:45PM
Hi Neil,
Hope you end up with a really fine building. That's a huge project. Best not to just do that with a wheel barrow. winking smiley
Always good to hear from you. Hope the family is doing well Neil.
God Bless
Gary
July 04, 2012 01:58PM
Happy 4th to all let freedom ring !!Glad to hear the move is going well..... Heck yes to the tractor it makes many tasks so much easier. That was the first thing i purchased when i knew i was getting back surgery and i built forks for back 3 point hitch and adjustable forks for hanging on the bucket. i also fabricated a telescopic boom for back but dont use that to much.I believe2 or 3 cork screw willows and an elm tree that i cut down and dragged out to the back forty would have cost that much to have a tree service do the work justified the cost . A very wise investment in my health and future not to mention the go to guy in hood for snow plowing big Michigan blows out Gotta be a good neighbor ( i work for apple pies mmmmm)

Thanks
Kurt
July 04, 2012 02:48PM
Hi Kurt,
Yep, you can do a bunch of work for a fresh apple pie! Yummmmmm. winking smiley
So far, lovin the tractor. Wait ... Need to use it to get another cup of coffee! Haha.
Gary
July 04, 2012 07:48PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

There is this clay/sand road that connects about 3 or 4 properties back our lane. I used the tractor today to rework the left side here. That's the straight run. It was badly rutted, so the people at the back had been using the bypass (thru our yard). We will see if the traffic shifts back to the straight and narrow now winking smiley. It was good practice. I'm a pro already. cooler Should have taken a "before" pic. It was too rutted for a pickup truck to pass before! dig it

Hey, a tool is a tool is a tool. Love it.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2012 07:55PM by barnespneumatic.
July 05, 2012 05:21AM
Gary,

You start showing off and the doc will show up and put everybody to shame.

Lon
Anonymous User
July 04, 2012 08:23PM
My father has a similar set up and five acres and he loves it. He has a shooting lane also. Good tractor is needed in that area. Eastern diamondback rules that type of terrain.
July 04, 2012 10:12PM
Tractors are great workhorses.....and fun too!

Happy 4th everyone!!!!

Like the rest of you, I am proud to live in this great country...even if sometimes we have reason to shake our heads.

At the end of the day...no place I'd rather be !
July 05, 2012 12:04AM
Come on Gary you show me yours i will show you mine give us a picture or at least a brand !! I started out with a satoh 4 cy gas tractor two wheel drive they are made by mitsubushi and are very compact orchard tractors with negative offset rims for widening or narrowing stance .Then a Bolens 4cyl diesel 4 wheel drive came up for auction i i was lucky enough to win less than 50 hrs! It has lots of bells and whistles horn, blinkers . 4way flash, high low beams 4sp pto agro tires front and rear and high low range power front angle blade and couple other attachments all stored away since 1986 Ok enough bragging i am proud of my tractor for a suburbanite . Maybe a tractor pull / airgun shoot off could be in our future???hehehaha .

Thanks
Kurt
July 05, 2012 05:44AM
Hi Kurt.
Well .... I don't claim to be a professional tractor shopper. winking smiley. I started looking at the generic brands. Was happy there. Thought I might get a Mahendra. Maybe a northern tools tractor. But, then I began asking the "table of Knowledge" at the Corner Cafe. Table up near the register where the old guys gather. One old fella clearly had history with tractors. Now, he pointed me towards a guy ... The son ... good mechanic. Father had a genetic brand but it sounded pretty big. He thought you could not have too much power. Not sure there.
Well, I tracked the place down where the son worked. Closed for the week of July 4th. Bummer. The second tip he had was a John Deere dealer about 40-50 miles away across the Alabama line. He figured they might not have something ... but would know who did and be able to help locate. Found the guy to talk to there, explained my need. He said they'd just traded a 4310 John Deere. Regular customer they knew traded up. I told him I was sure a John Deere was gonna be too rich for me. He gave me a number. I was surprised. I'd thought it would be twice that.
I decided to look. Out back sat a squat tractor with huge fat tires. Hydrostatic drive. Diesel. Bucket loader. I grilled the guy about it perhaps being too rich to maintain. He countered with THE logic that sold me. (table of knowledge old guy had told me his experience with Northern Tools machinery was that the stuff worked well - but parts were slow and you HAD TO SEND MACHINERY to their central maintenance depot. Somewhere in the Midwest.). The JD dealer told me they most likely have the parts in their 17 location network OR ELSE they can have anything next day. Plus, they had the shop.
So, I won't go onto more details, but there it was. They'd deliver it for free. They'd put a new seat on it and fix the adjustable steering wheel lock. It's four wheel drive. Power steering. Forward and Reverse pedals with three ranges. That's an amazing convenience over a clutch and stick shift.
So - my tractor is green Kurt. winking smiley. Guess I'll need a John Deere tattoo now. Hehe. Kelly thinks my Tractor's Sexy. singing haha.
Gary.
July 05, 2012 06:09AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

BTW. tractor has a plate steel folding armored hood/grill protector. That's why the hood looks different and the numbers don't show. The 430 is supposed to be the
Bucket number I think - but it happens to also be the model number of an
Older series of small tractors.

I left the dealer saying I needed an hour for lunch and thought. He was gonna research a three point mounted chipper for
Me. I did a phone net search. Found the tractor to be well priced near as I could tell. At some
point the research and looking must stop and you have to pull the trigger. So; that's how I wound up "green!". Haha.

Gary
July 05, 2012 06:55AM
Cool smiling bouncing smiley I guess you'll see if that "runs like a Deere" commercial is hype or substance.

I think that going domestic on this one is the right way to go. The foreign jobs don't have a fraction of the support network that John Deere does.
July 06, 2012 05:18AM
Gary,

Wow! That does look nice.

Lon
July 05, 2012 04:32PM
Hi Gary,

I'm glad to see that everything is coming together for you and Kelly. A tractor; Hum…moving to the South plus a nice piece of land…You are starting to look like a person we know from the Cajun Country.whistling

Best,

Julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 04:38PM by Julio.
Anonymous User
July 06, 2012 12:35AM
Nice to see you smile, and it appears you are enjoying your new home. The guys at the diner will probably help you with anything you need, and seems as if they are honest men. A rarity to say the least.........
July 06, 2012 09:34PM
Hi Lon.
I've met a bunch of really good people here. Ones that don't seem to take themselves too seriously. Honest, respectful, helpful. I'll like it here.
thumbs up.
Tip: The people here wonder why someone would MOVE TO here. That might be a tip-off. The stuck up people seem more intent upon keeping everybody OUT 'cause they are the special few.
Gary
July 06, 2012 11:52PM
Have already found the small size of the tractor to be really handy. Can get in tight places. Also, the dealer sent a man out nearly fifty miles to replace the steering adjust lock assembly. They also put on a new seat that came in. And the guy is coming back with a couple of other things. Sounds like they want it to be right. That's good.
Gary
July 07, 2012 04:08AM
Well had to show you a piece of equiptment that has given me many hours of enjoyment, That JohnD is sure to get you some pecan/ sweet potato pie from the neighbors and judging by the smile on your face many hrs of back breaking work avoided . You were lucky to find one that close and that nice!( not to much farmin in Fla) you know if you let the misses learn how to drive she could put you up in bucket for trimming trees also.When i got mine home the compact size was sure to fit in my shed but NO the roll bar was 6 in too tall so i had to use it to raise the shed one cinder block 1st project complete ya! if you look real close you can see a fine piece of maple between the tires i run down to the river and shoot . Works good for leaning over hood also and shooting hornets out of bullet trap.Good luck with your new tool

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 12:21PM by kurt wag.
DSCF1821.JPG
DSCF1824.JPG
July 07, 2012 09:16AM
Nice photos there Kurt. Not too bad on that target, considering it's a single shot with no sights!
July 07, 2012 12:20PM
Thanks Rotor but there are sights on the cane much like this pistol (pictured) which is reported to be the 1st pneumatic patented pistol 1860ish that was made by a man named Hawley from Michigan ... it has sights on the side of the gun and you have to tilt it to a 45deg angle cause the valve pin comes straight out the top obstructing view behind the hammer (gansta style) !! The cane has two small brass brad type wood screws sights on the side of the stock about 1inch below brass band in pic. one pin and one v notch. when shooting it you turn the cane 90deg withhandle pointing horzontal to shooters right and then trigger is on the bottom and shoot with your thumb.W hen i got the case out i found extra sights inside loose and just thought they where extra but ah ha
i had to think like Gary they were different heights upon closer inspection making it possible to adjust accuracy for shot distance no scope required !!! As you know... Gary prides himself on form and function and accuracy. gotta love him for all that the round balls dont punch paper very well but a couple slugs i found did pretty well . Mite have to make a bullet mold for that gotta little space in corner of gun case just perfect for stowing away. Well i wanted to say thanks to all members of this web site whom i have never met any of you in person but hope to shoot with one day . Its getting harder to find people to share in my airgun enthusiam and realy like to see and hear aboutall the guns other folks are using and special thanks to Gary for sharing his God given talants with the world

Thanks
Kurt
DSCF1822.JPG
DSCF1825.JPG
July 07, 2012 04:44PM
Great looking tractor Kurt! Looks brand new.
Good to see the cane doing duty. I have a cherry somewhere I made for a button slug for that gun.

Driving to Md. Again. Meeting Kent there! He's just "dropping by" from Mississippi with his truck and 20 foot trailer to take a load of the Barnes shop South. How's that for a nice offer! Very grateful.

They are trying hard to take my last bite of food and cornbread here at Cracket Bsrrel. Gotta go!

Gary
July 08, 2012 02:19AM
That's fine dirt work Gary! If you're going to be dressing that road often you'll want to weld up a "Bionic Blade" for your three point hitch. It also works a a good counter balance for those heavy bucket loads. Your tractor looks like you got a steal. It does need those fork as shown by how high you have to get the bucket to carry a load. Be real careful if you are not on perfectly flat ground. PM sent

Thanks for sharing Kurt, you're shooting that cane like it has a scope. Truly a unique piece, glad it's getting some "air time".

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 02:29AM by Cajun Justice.
July 08, 2012 02:57AM
16 1/2 hours on the road today. About 300 miles left. The back was happier when I was a younger man. winking smiley

Glad you approve of my green tractor. I like it.

According to my "people", the PTO Chipper arrived in Md. Today. Yeah.

Gary

Hey Kent ... Feel free to load that power hammer. You can start without me. Haha. winking smiley
July 10, 2012 11:38PM
Tractor tips, aircane marksmanship, seafood recipies, hunting tales, driving directions, this site has it all!
July 11, 2012 01:10AM
Don't forget health tips.

Health tip #1. Don't be in too big a hurry to move Gary's power hammer by yourself. Weights
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021