Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Christmas in July

Christmas in July
August 01, 2012 06:34PM
Well, I'm crossing things off the list. wow

I have done a ton of research in the last two weeks on tractors. And ... thanks Kent and your buddy, Raymond ... for a lot of expert knowledge and personal experience in the field of used and new equipment.

I've scoured the web, and found that there are a couple of major sites which are the face of used equipment dealers around the States. TractorHouse.com is a huge site that lists dozens of dealers and hundreds of different tractors - many different brands. I've been on a bunch of different tractor forums too. Read reviews and many threads of personal experience with different models. Watched UTube videos. I know enough to be dangerous now. hahah.

After going thru all this, I found that Kubota has a very loyal following. Kent loves his. Raymond is sold on them. Owners love them, AND ... used ones with low hours of usage; sell within a narrow margin of new ones! That's the sign of a good product. I might humbly mention that you don't find many dirt cheap used Barnes PCP rifles either. whistling hahah.

Since Barnes doesn't make a tractor ... winking smiley ... and the used tractors with warrenty packages left on them were sold by the time I'd get to them ... I've gone with a new Kubota. There goes my Christmas gift for the rest of my life. But - I think it might be a good trade. winking smiley I won't have to worry about finding something else busted each time I go to use it, and I'll know how it's been maintained. Wow. I guess I'm spoiled rotten now. Like a fella with a new Barnes rifle! thumbs up thumbs up grinning smiley Gosh ... I can't use it ... I might scratch it! hahahhah laughing

Gary
August 01, 2012 10:47PM
Congrats!

Better take a key to the paint right off the bat and get it out of your system. The things are meant to be used, might as well be you that puts the first ding in it.grinning smiley

Disclaimer: The preceding advice does not apply to Barnes Pneumatic products, and does not reflect the opinion of Barnes Pneumatic, the Airgun Rendezvous forum, or any number of Barnes airgun owners who never let their precious safe queens outdoors where they might get scratched.
August 01, 2012 11:19PM
Hahaha.

Yeah, the dealer asked to put water weight in the tires. Common practice for rear ballast weight. I told him here in Md., they called the practice "calcium" because of putting that in the water. We agreed that was due to freezing here - not an issue there. I said - "no, with a new tractor, if it's gonna freeze, I'll bring it into the house!". winking smiley

Never had such a nice new tool that will last my lifetime. You wait until you are 58, you get some nice new tools. winking smiley)

Gary
August 02, 2012 10:57AM
Post some pix of your new ride! Rear ballast is very important for stability.... Rim Guard is what i had. Keep your bucket as low as possible.
Steve
August 02, 2012 06:18PM
Hi Steve. Sorry I missed your post in the thread here.
I don't have it yet. It's the L3800 HST in 4wd. Yippie. I'm excited. Sure hope it snows a lot down there now! Haha. thumbs up
August 02, 2012 11:28AM
Apparently Kubota has quite a following. Steelers' D-lineman Brett Keisel just drove his 20 miles on the highway to the start of training camp:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

wink

New toys are always great, aren't they? Especially when they actually let you do work etc. I always say that the best part of my job is that I get to play with all of the cool new tech toys.

-- Jim
August 02, 2012 01:23PM
Just want to say, I could arrange to appear in a commercial too ... nowthatIthink

My tractor is a bit "less upscale" - haha - but will do the job nicely. A shame I have to get this JD tattoo recolored Orange now. Gosh, hope that works! Haha

Gary
August 02, 2012 02:35PM
I think you are just reliving your childhood by playing with tractors. whistling
August 02, 2012 10:14PM
Hello Keith,

Good to hear from ya!

You are right. It is a bright spot in the otherwise nutty rush of trying the impossible.

I will, however; FINALLY be able to start putting things in place. Until now, it's been all about "STORING" the things we moved. You really need walls and a roof to make a shop. hahah.

I've gutted this shop up here at BPN, to the stage where there's little I can do here. But I can't just make a 24 hour turn around month after month and beat it back down the road. We're gaining on it though.

Great to hear. Hope life is being good to you. Hello to your family, all.

Gary
August 02, 2012 03:34PM
Nothing runs like a ....Kubota?

Hmmm...isn't quite the same. Might have to get a different hat too.Green bowing
August 02, 2012 04:00PM
Yeah, well .... I'm sure Deere has a great product ... Under all that plastic on their small units. But all that stuff breaks easily so ... They won't be restoring those for parades in eighty years. Haha. Give me steel! Argh!!!! Weights
August 04, 2012 04:36AM
Gary,
Congrats on the new Kubby.! You will love it. my brother in law got a M7040 W/ all the bells & whistles and has tried his damnedest to break it, to no avail. ( he has a PHD in GeoPhysics & not much in common sense.) Anyway i enjoy using it from time to time & have to say it's a Dam Nice tractor.singing
August 04, 2012 02:17PM
Thanks Rick.
I am excited about getting it. Might just take my coffee breaks sitting on it! Haha
Wow, that is s luxury unit your brother in law got.
I hear they are very tough. In comparisons, it's evident the axles are far larger, etc. Good stuff.
Gary
Anonymous User
August 04, 2012 12:56PM
When all is done in your new home, I think you will not know what to do with all that room. Not having to tear down set up's and all the space that you did not have before will allow your mind and work to flow and no more STAIR'S.......
August 04, 2012 02:23PM
Hello Don.
You are right! I'm gonna have to make notes for myself to know what to do. Haha. I might just stand and gawk at all that space!!!
Gary
August 10, 2012 03:56AM
You'll be very pleased with your choice, Gary. I wouldn't recommend a 20 mi road trip. It would probably get you a spot in the local paper but I doubt it would be in the sports section.

You'll also make the adjustment to the local environment more quickly if you can remain in the south for longer than a week at a time. You'll be saying "Y'ALL" before you know it. Oh, you thought I meant the CLIMATE. No, it takes 3 years for your inner thermostat to readjust. You'll know you've made that change when you are no longer wearing shorts in 50 degree weather and wondering why the kids are in parkas at the bus stop when its not going below 45 for the day. You'll always sweat thru 3 shirts and 2 undies in August, so get used to it.

Kent
August 10, 2012 06:23PM
Hi Kent,

I'll try to structure things to stay inside in August. Maybe June thru August. May thru September??? We'll see. Whatever it is - it's done so that train left the station. Thank God for A/C. It will be easier to make/buy electricity then to make/buy Fuel Oil in the new world.

The Mayflower sails again Wednesday.

Gary
August 10, 2012 09:13PM
"The Mayflower sails again Wednesday."

That sounds oddly amusing....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021