Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Buildings!

Buildings!
August 07, 2012 05:36PM
Looong plans coming together!

Shop-inside.jpg

First view I got of my new shop! My salesman actually drove out to my place ... about 45 minutes for him ... and took these pics. I have found him and the contractors he recommended to be amazing. Two 10' by 10' roll up doors. Shop is 30' by 41'

shop-doors.jpg

Outside same doors.

shop-side.jpg

Nicely blended into the surrounding. We chose the colors and like this look. They seem to have done a real nice job for us, in assembly.

tractor shed.jpg

The tractor shed and storage. It takes a bunch of stuff to do all the things we do - has to be a place for them. This is great. Really brings a smile.

Hope you like the pics. As you can see ... it's all coming together!

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 08:12PM by barnespneumatic.
August 07, 2012 06:38PM
Awesome . . . congrats! Barnes Pneumatic South lives!!!

Next time I'm in FL during a hurricane, I know where I'm headed! scared

BTW, are you going to have any different designation on rifles etc. made in FL versus those that were made up here?

-- Jim
August 07, 2012 08:07PM
Hello Jim,

I've thought of that. Another idea! Have not decided how yet - but it seems there should be a difference. Perhaps I'll wrap the Fla. ones in Spanish Moss? hahah.

Yeah - I guess I need a standarized location marking. Perhaps I'll cut a stamp. Have to work on that. self-hammer

Then ... I can see the dust up ... what about the ones that were 85% built in Maryland and then finished in Florida? more confused hummmm.

Hey - after half a day's work ... I've also managed to Sync my replacement iPhone sent to me cause the internal speaker died on the old one. Gee ..... an iPhone Sync AND a new shop. In nearly the same time too! hahah.

Gary
August 08, 2012 04:40AM
Sweet Digs!. Don't forget the Map to find your way around in there.laughing
August 08, 2012 04:53AM
Thanks Rick!
Hey, this is big enough to need GPS! Haha.
The current version shop 4.0 is the one for the map. It looks like a corn maze. winking smiley. Complete with lots of dead ends. I'm not going to know how to act with a real building.
This 5.0 version is gonna be sweet. Kelly and I keep
Alluding to being able to let projects sit in place while being worked on. Currently, you let something in place and try to work on something else ... The chance of knocking it to the floor is about 99.9%. winking smiley
Thanks for commenting Rick. I'm real pleased with the shop. Can't wait to finish up here, for good ... and get on with the work I'm good at.
Gary

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Packing endless cutters and tool bits now.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And dozens of sets of bending, raising, and shearing dies. These boxes get too heavy to lift after about 6" of depth. It's all solid steel tooling. I've been making these sets for decades, in order to do specific operations. You need the die set to make the first part from the set. Then, it
Might be years (or never) before you make another copy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 05:06AM by barnespneumatic.
August 08, 2012 05:12AM
Gary,

Wow! Looks great.wow

Lon
August 08, 2012 02:23PM
Thanks Lon! grinning smiley
August 09, 2012 11:45PM
A great start for sure.....bet the buildings look smaller once all the machines move in......haha

Just don't get lost in there...
August 10, 2012 01:08AM
Boy, those will be great! The elves will really get that place humming when it's decked out with machines. I think a special stamp for the pieces that made the trip is in order as well.

Get some foam on those walls and I'll be over to help the move in.

Congrats on one more hurdle behind you,

Kent
August 10, 2012 02:18AM
Well Gary, congrats on your new building. Everything its coming together so fast; good for you! It looks great and OPEN, ja,ja,ja. It surely blends well with its surroundings. I’m sure that you will find a way to fill it up to the roof in less than a year.what was that

Good luck with the rest of the move. thumbs up

Julio
August 10, 2012 02:35AM
I know you will be Ecstatic to get this over with. I don't envy you the work OR All the Driving back & forth, been there, done that. Only advice i can give you is to keep it simple & break it up into small steps or victories if you like, So you don't keep seeing the WHOLE picture continuously. Hope you get my meaning anyway.bowing
August 10, 2012 06:42PM
I do get your meaning Rick. And I appreciate the concept. I will try to keep that in mind.

It is getting depressing now. Have to admit. The shop is gutted. The house is gutted. And the Fla. place is in disarray. As I keep putting more and more tools - even small hand tools now .... into the boxes and sealing them ..... I realize I couldn't make anything more complex then a mud pie in the shop now. And still ... there are tons of parts and "stuff".

It would be easy to assume that the shop is full of junk. It's not. Anything recognized as junk (by me) has always been gotten out of there. Now, visitors seem to think that MOST of the stuff in there is junk. Even the tools. But - that's where the magic happens. You can make very nice things with junk tools. And, raw materials look pretty ... well .... raw ... until fashioned into parts.

Yes ... I SHOULD be packing stuff now, but I took a break. Hey - how small a victory can I declare Rick? hahah. I went to Walmart yesterday, and bought another 35 of those clear plastic shoeboxes. I find I can pack a good 40 pounds of tools and/or airgun parts into one of those. Can I consider one to be a victory? hahah. winking smiley

Thanks for the note of encouragement Rick. I do appreciate it. Can't WAIT for this to be over. You are right.

I put in a call to a company that does building spray insulation. Yes - I saw online that you can buy a KIT for $1,200 to do it yourself. I suppose I'd need two and a HALF. haha.

Gary
August 10, 2012 11:13PM
Gary,
I considered packing up a vase a Victory!

I had a 760 sq/ft house and when we had to pack to move down here, i threw out BY Weight 2.5 TONS. And i don't have a shop or a business to pack!!!
August 11, 2012 02:37PM
Yeah, this is brutal. I keep packing ... turn around and there's a mountain of stuff behind me. Tools, materials, parts, jigs, bits, cutters ... excited ... Guess I should toss in a "haha" here or you'll all think I'm loosing it. Haha. pushingarock

Haha. .... Haaaaah .... HAHHHH... BwaHHHHAAAHHH!!!!

Bang!

winking smiley

Gary
August 11, 2012 01:38PM
Gary,
I've done the spray insulation both ways. With a job that size, it is worth at least double to have someone with the proper equipment do it. That stuff can make a mess than you could never clean up.
August 12, 2012 02:18AM
Thanks Scott,
Missed your comment earlier.
Good tip. I never really considered it for long. I figured I'd glue myself to the wall. Have the canister explode, the spray nozzle stick open, or some unforseen fatal flaw. I have no real idea of a good/bad price. Have to go with instinct, I suppose. I think it's gonna be pretty necessary to have this done BEFORE I get to much stuff moved in. Hope that can happen.
Gary
August 10, 2012 09:26PM
I think the new shop needs at least a potted shrub in the middle. Hate to lose the shop 'round a tree charm!
August 10, 2012 11:04PM
I totally agree Jerry. Heck, i have a 9' tall Cedar in my living room.
August 11, 2012 01:27AM
A bit early Rick? Or ... even later perhaps? Are the needles really brown? Haha.

No .... NO TREES INSIDE THE SHOP. 32 1/2 years is enough!!! Haha.

Gary
Anonymous User
August 10, 2012 11:20PM
Very nice Gary, where are the stair's? A lot of room for sure. I bet you have lost weight with all that sweat and hard work.
August 11, 2012 01:30AM
Hi Don.
I sweat it off ... But then there is Shrimp
Nite at McLains Steak and Seafood House on Wednesday nights! I'm helpless against such a dastardly attack. You can understand??? laughing

Glad you like the building. Yes, must build steps! Right away. Perhaps to the treehouse outside. Haha.

Gary
August 11, 2012 01:41AM
BTW. I've spoken today, at length; to a contractor who does spray insulation. I get an estimate Wednesday after he visits the building.

Networking from local businessmen down there. This guy sounded just like the other 4 or 5 contractors I've used. Good respectful folk. I'm gonna like it there. Especially considering how this area has changed. Hope the bid comes in good. He's indicated he can comply pretty rapidly. thumbs up

Gary
August 12, 2012 12:26AM
WOW!

You don't mess around when you decide to get things done, do you? Impressive progress in just a few short weeks. All that shop space...even when you get the machinery installed, you're gonna have to use semaphores to tell Kelly that you're out of iced tea. grinning smiley

Better pre-position some stashes of food and water in case you get lost in there, wouldn't want to waste away before you puzzle your way out. winking smiley
August 12, 2012 02:08AM
Thank you Sean,

I shall squirrel away bags of M and M's here and there. Good idea. Perhaps wear one of those hats with the two cup holders and crazy straws. All good prep work.

Things have moved along, you're right! We've processed it as fast as we could arrange.

I've been packing dozens upon dozens of boxes with tooling for the machines already moved. And hundreds of parts already completed.

It's taking a toll, as could be expected. One of my key flags which indicates my epidural injections are worn out and significant pain is around the corner has been surfacing. Poor timing. Too much to expect that I'd pull this whole thing off pain free.

In a related issue, those of you inclined to say a prayer, Kelly and I would appreciate a line or two for a family member who needs it ... and maybe add a line for me too. My health is pretty vital to us pulling this off. After I finish this loading ... I then get to drive 1,100 miles. (I can use the rest! dig it hahah).

Many Thanks,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 02:13AM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021