Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: RATZ!!! ... and Appaloosa SS ... fudd

RATZ!!! ... and Appaloosa SS ... fudd
March 09, 2009 01:50AM
Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 102a.jpg

One of the projects I've been working on is this polished Stainless Steel Shrouded Appaloosa for the ledger. It's a really fine 25 caliber.

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 104b.jpg

I've been trying to find the opportunity to finish carving the stock for the customer. Hasn't happened yet. Well, I was reminded of the project today, while sitting here gritting my teeth through the pain from pulling my back out a few days ago. That duct seal clay I bought last week was worrying me too ... hummmm

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 107c.jpg

And ... "this" sort of happened ...

Having nursed the back all day, I needed a diversion.

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 110e.jpg

Well, I tossed one of my 4X shotgun Simmons on the Appaloosa action ... just snugged the action down into the stock without any fasteners ...

Took a couple of sighters, and then dispatched the Rat!! Perfect placement. Ah-HAH!!!

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 111f.jpg

I opened up the wound channel to get the ball

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 114f.jpg

Then repaired the wound channel. Simple as pie with the duct seal.

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 115g.jpg

Decided to try out a 25 Kodiak.

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 116h.jpg

Opened it up to retrieve the pellet ....

Clay Rat and SS Appaloosa 118h.jpg

And there's both, along with the depth achieved. This clay absorbs energy to an amazing degree. Both ball and pellet showed deformation at the front ... and a sort of "frosted" look to the lead where it deformed. Neat to do relative testing as Kent showed us. Both penetrated about the same. Was just shooting in the shop ... though the gun is so quiet I could have shot in the living room! cooler

Neat rifle. Neat Rat too! Good combination. fudd

Was a good break. Hope you enjoyed seeing it.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 01:59AM by barnespneumatic.
March 09, 2009 01:58AM
Heheh . . . lookin' good. I could've used one of those around Christmas when we had mice in our attic. shooter

Have you chrony'd the Kodiaks and buckshot? And, of course, how quiet is it? Power adjust on that one? Two stage trigger? Inquiring minds wanna know. thumbs up

-- Jim
March 09, 2009 02:04AM
Quiet like Pfft. All over. Nearly silent.

Don't recall the fps. Pretty quick though.

Two stage target trigger. Very nice.

Adaptable to power adjust - wasn't requested.

Yeah ... would have been perfect for ya ... you could have just shot right thru the drywall into the attic, and only had a tiny clean hole. haha.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 02:08AM by barnespneumatic.
March 09, 2009 02:20AM
Rats---We have Rats????? Where?? As long as they are out in your shop, it's OK!!!
March 09, 2009 02:33AM
Nice Rat Gary! I originally bought the duct seal to make a silent pellet trap for a Falcon 22 PCP from Van at Standing Stone IV. The gun was later fitted with a suppressor and the silent trap allowed me to shoot in the garage. Now it has been twisted into some kind of art form with little woods animals. What's next?...pottery turn tables and Demi Moore throwing a vase?surprised Hey, that could be kinda neat... make a whole place setting, cup, saucer, plate, bowl, then blast away without all the broken shards to cleanup! Gotta get working on it. Bye!

Kent

BTW...That's a fine looking gun too!!! Hope you feel better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 02:36AM by Cajun Justice.
March 09, 2009 02:36AM
Kent . . . you have opened Pandora's box. electrified

-- Jim
March 09, 2009 02:37AM
Nice...

Should look even better when the stock's done. Certainly performs excellent... and definitely one of the guns I'd someday like to be on the Ledger for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 09, 2009 04:30AM
Jim,
That gun is so quiet it could sneak up on a rat..twice! surprised winking smiley

Gary,
The gun is looking great. I really liked that action last time I was at the shop. The stainless looks like chrome. It's nice to see that it is performing well too. Somebody is going to love getting that gun.
March 09, 2009 06:57AM
Very spiffy, and your budding rodent-forming skills are coming along nicely as well. ; )
March 09, 2009 02:15PM
Throwing a vase. Wow, How about mounting a large sheet of plywood on the turning wheel then have you animals on it for moving targets. Nothing like shooting varmints to make you feel better. Dory
March 09, 2009 09:52PM
I like the look of this Appaloosa as well

cute rat as well
March 09, 2009 10:03PM
Mmmmmm !
Light wood and polished steel really does it for me....excited
March 10, 2009 07:22PM
Nice looking rifle, Gary. The prospective owner will be drooling if he sees this post!
Cruel though, to keep shootin' that poor rat over and over....rolling happy smiley
Anonymous User
March 10, 2009 10:15PM
Gary just exactly what knid of wood is that? Great looking rifle, a definite rat killer for sure.
March 11, 2009 12:08AM
It's a light weight Mahogany Joe. Will color up real nice when finished. Nearly weightless stock.

Gary
March 11, 2009 04:35AM
Nice rifle, going to be a VERY proud owner!smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021