Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Insulation!

Insulation!
August 21, 2012 01:57AM
Building gets spray insulated Friday morning.

thumbs up

Gary
August 21, 2012 03:27AM
BTW ... First insulation guy had become sick as a dog for several days. Unable to even get out of bed. Glad he's mending.

Well, spray insulation isn't cheap. As Kermit said ... "it ain't easy being green!". whistling

I'll be getting 5 inches of open cell density on the ceiling - and two inches of closed cell density on the interior walls.

Bring it. bad dude
August 21, 2012 04:58AM
Gary,

Why open cell?

Lon
August 21, 2012 01:24PM
Experts recommended it for the ceiling. One point they made regarded maintenance. IF you were ever to develop a roof leak, open cell WOULD actually allow the passage of water thru the foam. Thus - you would recognize the problem and FIND the leak. With closed cell, it would mask the problem, contain the water atop the foam, and rust out the roof. So I was told. They offered a better R value with the open cell on the ceiling as well. Best I understood the reasoning. Can't see that they'd care what they sprayed and changing from one density on the walls to another on the ceiling seems like more fiddle for them. Must make sence to them to do a good job.

If you have info I'm not aware of, I'd be pleased to listen. They spray Friday.

Thanks Lon
Gary
August 24, 2012 11:13AM
Gary,
His recommendations are typical and probably correct. I have had closed cell on the ceiling of my 30 year old barn/shop for 10 years. It leaks and I have no idea were the holes are. (Actually, I suspect that the leaks are where all the loose nails are. One of these days I'll get the 14 year old up there to nail them back in!) The closed cell hid the leaks for a while, but I don't think it ever stopped them. It was AMAZING how much "tighter" the barn was after the insulation was blown on. The difference in wind noise was wonderful!
When i built my new house 6 years ago we used closed cell in the walls and open cell on the ceiling. The closed cell actually has the better R value per inch, but you can put more inches of open cell on the ceiling for a better R value there. The open cell definitely seems to provide more sound insulation. We insulated between the first and second floor with the open cell insulation before completing the sheetrock. It is amazing how quiet it is down stairs when the kids are running around upstairs."festive" It was a good investment.

Word of caution in the shop. Insects don't eat the stuff, but they will burrow through it (ants, termites, etc) You need to do normal pest prevention just like you would do in your house. I would also ask specifically about flamability of their specific product. You will want to cover it in the welding area for sure. hot smiley
August 24, 2012 05:30PM
Gary,

Makes sense, I didn't think of that.nowthatIthink

Lon
August 21, 2012 04:25PM
Gary,

I’m glad to see that you are not having many problems finding professionals to do the job. It’s almost the same as in Maryland.LOL!

Julio
August 21, 2012 08:33PM
Good point Julio,

Yes - in Maryland ... it would have taken three years to get someone to give me an estimate.

Glad the "Slower Pace" Kent speaks of, does not apply to getting things done. hahah. ;?)

Gary
August 22, 2012 12:03AM
If you plan on watching the work, I recommend dropping by walamrt for a cheap umbrella....idealaughing again
August 23, 2012 02:46PM
You know - the first time I read this .... I wondered ..... Whyyyyy??? .......more confused

This time, I said ... Another idea! ... duhhh .... that's what he met. hahah.

Yeah ... putty knifing the fused on drips off my bald head would take time I don't have. But - it might insulate my overheated brain! hahah.

Gary
August 23, 2012 12:48PM
Closed cell, Open cell, who cares. Just avoid the SLEEPER cell. I bet once you get the foam sprayed in nothing will move so your leaks should be nil. You will really appreciate the quiet compared to the bare metal, especially in the rain. Glad its moving forward.

Kent
August 24, 2012 08:07PM
insulation sounds like no big deal , till you compare the before and after ,,,, keep us up to speed ,,, happy friday ,,, only thing to remember ,,, add a few pipes and pull wires before its sprayed on ,,,, handy for the odd cable , or the air lines etc.
August 25, 2012 11:30PM
No pics yet. They come back Monday to scrape back to the steel frame. Remove tape and bags. Remove wrap and floor covering. So far; it looks like crap. I'm sure it will insulate. But I wouldn't call it pretty. I'll wait til it's done. Convince myself it's wonderful. Then sheath over it and put in a ceiling if I know me.

footinmouth. knucklehead. take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 11:31PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021