Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Buttoning up.

Buttoning up.
August 25, 2012 02:50PM
Yep ... Hurricane heard Gary was in town. Supposed to hit the beach just southwest of us. So they say that puts us on the bad/wrong side for wind and rain. They say my building is now all glued together and far tougher then as built. Of course - falling trees won't do anything any good. Hope they are once again whipping up a story for drama. But ya don't know til it's here. putting stuff away.

Gary
August 25, 2012 05:39PM
Just returned from Lowes. They are doing a very brisk business. Everybody was hauling plywood. They've been selling generators for days. I bought the last window A/C unit for backup to run off my generator if need be. Isles are full of pallets of bottled water. Flashlights by the pallet. People with huge bags of charcoal. Overhead announcing you can get sandbags at the contractor's desk. Lovely. Only thing missing was those huge while spring plastic tubes to walk thru going in and out (a la ET).

Yep, I grabbed the a/c unit and was surprised when the price came up about twice what it should have been!!! Now- lest you think gouging (which I must admit flashed thru my fevered mind) - I quickly noted on the box where it ALSO HEATS!!! Wonderful. Well - might find a use in the shooting shed this winter. Those 75 degree afternoons can be nippy! Yes Jerry - I do have a few window units in the shop in Md. But - I didn't bring them yet. why me.

So - it's good to be Lowes today. If they don't get hit with the storm.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 08:17PM by barnespneumatic.
August 25, 2012 06:58PM
Hope everything works out for you. I havn't been watching the news lately and forgot about that storm. Stay safe
August 25, 2012 08:51PM
I guess the "Barnes Luck" is alive and well. Stay safe. scared

We have a lot of friends in Tampa . . . they have been overdue for a direct hit for years and this could be the one . . . just in time for the RNC.

-- Jim
August 25, 2012 10:05PM
Hope it misses you! Stay Safe.
August 25, 2012 11:46PM
Thanks Rick,

Yeah. Hope it misses everybody. Maybe it will fizzle out.

Yeah Jim,

That crossed my mind. But I moved. Left bad luck in Md. winking smiley

So far, the soft life hasn't begun. But I'm hoping for some eventually. As with any project ... The prep work is 75%+ of the effort. Trying to get it so the maintenance of a simple lifestyle is reasonable. So I'm building in with maintenance free exteriors and roofing. Then making the grounds so I can keep the rainforest back from a tractor seat. At least with serious power equipment. We shall see.

Oh - story. At an intersection near Lowes this morning - I stopped at the light. A lady was trying to drag a sheet of plywood from the roadway. Several more were fanned out all over the intersection. I hit the 4 ways and bounded out to help her. As I reached for a sheet of OSB, two other men had appeared and grabbed the other sheets. In a heartbeat, the lady's truck was reloaded. This time with the tailgate UP so the sheets were slanted and secure. She thanked us. Everybody dispersed in a minute. I doubt the light had even changed yet. It's a nice place. Mostly good people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 11:49PM by barnespneumatic.
August 26, 2012 06:46PM
Gary,

You may remember I recommended cutting the tree next to your building before it was a building.whistling

I've been having great fun telling everyone that I know why the hurricane came this way; seems there is this fellow that just moved in........

Good luck, and welcome to Florida.why me The first thing I did here at the new house was get shutters installed.

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 06:47PM by Bigbore.
August 27, 2012 05:22AM
Tree is on the ground cut up already Lon. Thks. winking smiley. Thing is, I can't cut all possible trees, and not completely alter the vibe of the place.

I have video of the tree removal. Have to edit it together on the laptop. You'll love it.

Got some other pics too. Did some erosion control projects for the projected 10 inches of rain.

Gary
August 27, 2012 03:44PM
"Thing is, I can't cut all possible trees, and not completely alter the vibe of the place."

I hate to be a buzz kill, but, consider wild fires. Again, my mother used to have 5 acres less than 100 miles to the east of you. I used to walk down the road in front of her property with a shotgun squirrel hunting. Rule of thumb, clear everything you can't defend with a garden hose.

Lon
August 27, 2012 05:14PM
Thank you Lon. Your "buzz kill ed ness" is a cultivated gift. Clearly, in the face of a wildfire - you'd be proven correct. We should all live in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. Practical reality says we won't. I'm cleaning brush and I have the tractor for fire breaks.

Gonna go research tall bridges in the area now. You have perked me up again ...Even sadder

grinning smiley
August 26, 2012 10:04PM
good luck Gary!

hope the worst passes you by.....
August 27, 2012 06:49PM
Gary,

It wasn't bad here in Miami. Just some wind and a lot of rain (which we are still experiencing), but not bad. We have been through a lot worse. It looks like you will get the same treatment in your area. Best of luck.

Keith
August 27, 2012 07:13PM
Hi Keith,

Yes - thanks. Looks like we'll be fortunate. Hope it just fizzles out.

Fingers crossed.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021