Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: BTW - Sean C. and Bill B.

BTW - Sean C. and Bill B.
October 12, 2012 08:42PM
Your guns shipped today. take a bow

That would be a Stainless Steel Woodsman/Orion with 308/62 combo, and a 56 Bison.

Pc. of cake. whistling

Finally the cosmos aligned on my end, your ends, and I'm tickled Pink.

Tracking numbers have been sent to you both. Watch the USPS website tracking - they are on the way to you!

Don't shoot 'yer eye out!

God Bless,
Gary
October 13, 2012 01:52PM
Wow stainless steel , sure wouldnt mind seeing pics of that. Do you find it harder to work with steel that doesnt get some sort of finish? ( or maybe it did) I know that in my field when we get a ss job it is nice and clean to work with same as aluminum but you dont get the bennifit of a coating to hide any imperfections caused during fabrication . Exstream care has to be taken thru out the whole process to preserve the finish
!!
October 13, 2012 02:17PM
Hi Kurt,
Hey, listen to ya! Preserve the finish. I'm the guy that MAKES that finish that you preserve! Haha. Wink.
Actually, I find SS to be a pain. Pretty when complete. But, as you know, it wants to grab all your cutters. The chips and shavings don't want to break. Therefore; they snake out off the cutters. Nasty razor wires twisting and coiling. Daring you to miss one and let it get around you. Not a relaxing material I've found. But, as I say - pretty when done.
Do a search for woodsman SS. I've had pics of it during the build and testing.
Gotta take a little ride.
God Bless
Gary
October 13, 2012 04:52PM
I meant no disrespect reguarding the finish so hopefully none taken but in my experience the welding produces a variety of colors extremely hard blend in even when brushing grain finish or polishing. So easy to scratch and maintain and yet so beautiful when done and not to mention how hard to machine, drill, even saw cut! Very hard on the tooling to say the least

Thanks
Kurt
October 13, 2012 10:02PM
Hi Kurt,
Ya know I'm kidding' ya. Yes, stainless is completely different to machine, weld, drill, thread, sand, everything. Occasionally you wil have made it happy by accident, and it will co-operate enough to egg you on and prevent you from hammering said part. Haha but it's an act, and it will bite ya in the butt as soon as it can. Break a tap, break a drill bit off down inside a deep hole. Cut you like a razor.
For finishing mild stainless like 308 or 316, I like to sand to at least 220 grit. 320 for a fine brushed look. Go to 500 and polish for a mirror finish. For tool steel stay less like 440-C, I like to glass bead after first sanding to 320, then sand blasting, then glass beading.
Thanks for the chat Kurt. Fun.
Gary
( about 1/4 way home)
October 14, 2012 01:51AM
That's great that you are able to finish some guns in the midst of the move. CONGRATS to all three of you. Sean and Bill have a blast with your new Barnes'.skeet Then let us see the smiles too.

Kent
October 14, 2012 05:07PM
I'm pretty excited about the whole thing, let me tell you!

Don't let him fool you, Gary just LOVES working with stainless. Loves it like a root canal that is; you're SO glad when it's over with. winking smiley

I wouldn't have bugged him so much about the stainless steel issue if I didn't live in a place that's so wet, but we get from 60 to 100 inches of rain a year here in S.E. Alaska, so you could say that it's an issue. Help!

My wife and I spent yesterday starting the demolition of our downstairs floor, not a project we'd counted on starting right away but other construction made it necessary. The laminate on top was in OK shape, but the (non-pressure treat) wooden sub floor atop the slab was/is literally so rotten that we found earthworms living in the board-shaped compost.Even sadder It's gotten to the point where I automatically start to cringe whenever I have to open up a wall, since every time I've done that it leads to yet ANOTHER project. We're going to have to re-work the entire area around the house to improve the drainage problem, I wish I had a backhoe. Actually, having checked on how much those things cost, I wish I had a relative in town who owned a backhoe. laughing again
October 14, 2012 05:51PM
Yes i am truely excited for you rotorhead( Sean) !! Awhile back when the 17cal came out my friend ordered one in S.S. and was extremly happy with the looks and durability of the gun not that it would even compare to a handmade custom Barnes special .but beautiful none the less.Maybe you could take a break from all the house work you have been doing and mount that NEW SCOPE. Still should have a good month of shooting before it gets to cold to get max out of it unless you slip on one of those battery opperated heater sox on the gun to keep air good and warm inside. (you know how they like that warm air) Good luck and hope to see some great pics to follow

Thanks
Kurt
October 14, 2012 10:51PM
Hi Kurt and Sean,

Just for the conversation, I shot my Buffalo at 19 degrees F - or was bit 15f. I shot clear thru the beast at 50 yards. The guns don't care.

I (we) have had many cold and snowy sessions. I think you will find the gun will be happier then you, in any weather you choose. winking smiley

Gary
October 15, 2012 01:47AM
Hey Kurt -
Sean is gonna be able to shoot 62 cal shot gun, 62 slugs, .310-.312" round ball, and various Barnes 308 slugs from this gin of his. He should find something for every season in that lot!
Remember too - he can change back and forth between 62 caliber to 308 in under a minute.
Gary
There is a bunch of test footage, pics, that were posted on these types of guns.
We had issues with cable here in Florida. Couldn't get it corrected. We dropped the service and have to get another company now so we have NO cable/net now. I'm not gonna do too well searching the archives with my phone here. Look for Woodsman SS and HAWG.
October 16, 2012 12:31AM
Got an orange slip in my mailbox today, heading to the post office tomorrow morning!excited
October 16, 2012 12:44AM
Holy Cow!
I can't imagine it got there that soon! Gosh, we barely drove to Fla in the same time. Haha.
Hope ya like it.
Hey ... You have real Internet. Why don't you do a search on the forum here. I think I called it "Woodsman SS". Once you get onto a posted thread, if you'd look to the top of your computer screen at the browser window ... copy that URL ... paste that URL and it will take folks to your gun.

I'm just on an iPhone here. We spent THREE HOURS this am making arrangements for TV, phone, and Internet. What a pure joy! SUPPOSEDLY ... We are to have something installed tomorrow. In the end, I still wasn't sure what. Might be a lamp and a toaster oven. Not sure.

Gary. winking smiley
October 16, 2012 12:58AM
Just tried to look around. Back in January, I was working on this and doing some testing. One post was titled "At the range with 62/308" or something like that. Others referred to "Woodsman Eagle River" .... which I had thought would make a really great name for this model ... Until Sean told me he'd moved ... yet again. why me. Haha. Any way, that's the reason the gun is hard to find.

Gary
October 16, 2012 09:22PM
October 16, 2012 11:14PM
thanks a bunch I thought I was going to have to order 1 in order to see it !I can appreciate all the work that went into that gun I am sure Sean will be happy with it
October 17, 2012 01:46AM
Gee THANKS Sean ... Kurt was gonna order one and ya went and ruint it. laughing

Haha.

Gary
October 17, 2012 06:46PM
Now Gary, no reason to get upset....you know that Kurt wants one of each model you've ever made over the years.smiling smiley

Although honestly, I certainly CAN see why he'd want one of these.grinning smiley It arrived yesterday in great shape, no damage, even the case was hardly dented at all despite the long trip up to Alaska. They obviously did drop in on it's ends a few times enroute though, good thing we didn't try to squeeze it into one of the shorter plastic cases.
IMG_4548.JPG

The sub-caliber insert goes in slick as a whistle, a kid could do it in half a minute, just screws right in. I think this system is going to be one of your most popular options for those models where it works. The sliding breech cover is pretty slick too, it gives great access for loading whether you're using the .62 barrel or the .308 insert.

IMG_4549.JPGIMG_4550.JPG

Can't wait to try it, but I'm going to have to since I don't have my HP air supply completely sorted out yet. I had it lined up through the volunteer fire station when I was living in Haines, but now that I'm in Juneau I'm going to have to work through the local scuba shop. They're not currently set up for anything over 3300 psi, but there's another business nearby that has a compressor which can go to 5000 psi. Unfortunately the owner of that shop is out of town at the moment. I'll post more when I get to the range.
October 18, 2012 07:24AM
Yum. That looks real nice!! Sean, looking forward to your testing.
Regards
Neil
October 18, 2012 10:42PM
That is one Sweet Rifle.Hope the Air guy comes back Quick, so the testing can begin.shooter
October 18, 2012 10:55PM
Man o man i am thinkin poor Bill B isnt gittin any air time (pun intended) . I know when i got my Barnes cane , it stayed in my living room for at least a month or more. I was so thrilled with it i wanted to start walking with a limp so i could take it every where i go! I am sure i WILL be owning another Barnes some day but i am not known for my paitence so i cant even imagine seeing it on this web sight and not be bugging Gary. Are we there yet??? are we there yet??? are we there yet????? . Sean you definetly got some good braging rights ahead of you .You did another fine Job Gary keep up the good work
October 19, 2012 05:14AM
Yup, it's one fine looking piece of work all right.

Wish I could say the same about the house. Got a few projects in the line ahead of airgun testing, but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Sean
October 19, 2012 01:25PM
You have to get your priorities straight Sean!
This is an Intervention. laughing. Haha.
We want more pics. Pics of holes made with your airgun - no fair drilling some holes in a board now! laughing again
October 19, 2012 06:13PM
Tragically, there are no boards requiring holes of approximately .62 inch in this project.Even sadder

This is a photo of what our downstairs sub floor looks like; a result of poor drainage, water infiltration atop or through the slab, and the usual neglected maintenance and/or willful ignorance on the part of the last homeowner. The part that shows in this photo is actually one of the dryer/more intact sections if you can believe it. Much of the other stuff that we've pulled up from this part of the floor came out by the handful and was so wet that water would squirt out of it like a sponge when stepped on.

IMG_4524_7x5.jpg

Obviously this was not pressure treated wood, and to say it's water damaged would be a significant understatement. A lot of it is more like board-shaped compost, complete with earthworms (literally). We've pulled up about a third of the downstairs flooring, and expect the rest to be more or less the same based on the condition of the pergo on top. Unfortunately, the downstairs has the main bathroom and the kitchen, so it's going to be a lot or work getting it fixed up.

When you buy an old house (this one was built in 1948 with salvaged timbers from an old cannery) you know that you'll almost always be catching up with some deferred maintenance. This house was one of the less expensive homes in this neighborhood, and we did expect to find some water damage on the lower floor. That said however, we didn't expect to have to gut the whole downstairs from the bottom up.sad smiley
October 20, 2012 12:39AM
Wow! You had smooth concrete under there!!! That's cheating. Haha.
October 20, 2012 07:25AM
I'm actually quite thankful that there turned out to be reasonably smooth concrete under the compost layer. If we'd have hit dirt my wife said she was going to cry. I would have been right there along with her.laughing again
October 20, 2012 12:09AM
Looks like my old house (1924). We even had mushrooms growing up in the downstairs carpet! What a Mess, i feel for ya...why me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021