Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Thinking of Shooting ...

Thinking of Shooting ...
November 05, 2012 12:16AM
I did some more exploring today.

We've gone round and round about the best place to put a range on the property. Trying to be curteous of neighbors and safe.

I think we are back to an earlier plan. I need to beat a path thru the tangle to the back corner of the property. I'm sure I can get 100 yards or better. Would be nice to get a longer range, but there's a number of "needs" when shooting these rifles. You need a place to stage your "stuff". A table is a must. You have to sit for long range shooting. You have tanks and slugs and bags. A stable platform is preferred. I think I'm back to housing my casting stuff and my fill station and tanks in the same shooting shed. I will make an effort to baffle the building to muffle the big guns.

Now - this evening - a couple of folks were clearly practicing semi-auto pistols somewhere within earshot. I'll have to get my range set up so as to not miss the fun.

There is soooooo much happening at once now. We are building the center wall between the woodworking and welding shops. Gonna build the bluing shed soon. That is only used a few times a year. Can't devote expensive building space to sit idle most of the time.

I still have Maryland to button up. That's still a large check on my list.

I appreciate the communications I've been having. I've gotten quite a few requests to accept orders recently. I've had to respectfully decline them at this time. Can't wait until I have more of the pending projects completed and shipped, so that I can address additional ideas and customers. Thank you, sincerely; for your continued interest. I never planned to have all this to deal with, but I have dealt with it all. There is light at the end.

Gary
November 05, 2012 03:43AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Center wall between wood and welding shops. 12 feet high! 40' long.

Gary
November 05, 2012 11:31PM
WOW !

Now, THOSE are some STUDS - hehe
November 06, 2012 11:32AM
Glad you are taking a good long break from all the driving to get set up a little in your new digs. All that rode time can get you burned out not to mention the wear and tear on your body. I am only able to handle about a couple of hours at a time befor i am reminded of the twelve inches of titanium in my back. Even a five minute break from sitting helps in the long run.Just think this time next year you will be all nestled in your new shop you will have the house up north rented ( just kidding) and by then remember where you stored all your tools from MEMORY.This is a good investment in your future and you will be able to shoot all you want! Testing , playing, plinking trouble shooting,designing maybe start selling tshirts and hats and well........... never mind the marketing stuff. hehehaha Just well wishing ya and maybe in the future see you and the miss kelli at a gun show or two . THE EXPERIENCE SURVIVES

Thanks
Kurt
November 06, 2012 11:58AM
Thank you Kurt!
All great comments. I really appreciate it.
You say you want to rent a home in Maryland??? I can hook ya up! winking smiley
Yes, I hate to leave here, but must be dragging tools back up the road to finish some stuff up there.
Can't wait for the clean finish. These monster projects do finally end. I thought that estate nightmare would never end, and it did (after five and a half YEARS!!!)
Thanks buddy
Gary
November 06, 2012 02:08PM
Re: Shooting Range

Gary, ONLY 100 yards??? You need at least 300 yards to really test your airguns full potential. In a few years we’ll need 600 yards and if this continues in 10 years 1,000 yds… what was that
November 06, 2012 07:00PM
Julio,

I sure HOPE you're back in PR by now, because if Gary catches you talking up 1000 yard groups with airguns, I'm not sure he's gonna let you leave the property alive. surprised

Never completely trust a man with a bunch of wooded acres and his own backhoe, it makes it FAR too easy to get rid of the bodies.winking smiley
November 06, 2012 11:05PM
Yes, Im safe. I'm further than 1,000 yards away.LOL!
November 06, 2012 11:27PM
haahahh.

"Escalation" is the bane of performance testing. Once something becomes "familiar" is can be seen as "ordinary".

I think my 110 yards will do fine to prove the accuracy of any of my rifles.

But - we'll accept any MOA groups at 1,000 yds Julio sends in. grinning smiley
November 07, 2012 08:50PM
If Julio drops off the forum and his airguns suddenly come up for sale on the used market we'll know where to look. winking smiley
November 08, 2012 03:30PM
10 years from now... we'll have to see...brick wall
November 08, 2012 04:48PM
Can't believe you are considering bailing out on us in only ten years!

Gosh ... we'll probably be giving away Barnes Pneumatic Golf Carts for Christmas by then. Have to see ... wink
November 09, 2012 12:21AM
A silly question Gary: Could you build me an air rifle with a looong barrel, say 700 yds???what was that
Anonymous User
November 06, 2012 09:31PM
A shovel and a 45 AIR RIFLE!
November 08, 2012 09:30PM
Wait, did I just read a challenge? Looks like Julio will be headed out to the 1000 yard range at the first forcast of calm winds!
November 09, 2012 01:14AM
Really enjoying all the work going into your NEW place. You definitely have more energy than me...lol!

Can't wait to hear and see more of your new range..........
November 09, 2012 05:23AM
Hello Faz,

The energy you witness is a combination of myself, and a guy to lend a hand now and then. Pushed on by the strong desire to get this party to a place where I can use the tools and buildings ... and process all the various needed operations.

This is sooo very different then life in the shop. For six months, I've been juggling quite a few things at once. These are mostly
NOT complex things. But they are very tiring. It's the shear number of different needs that wear you down. Do one thing at once, and you get swept downstream. Add in the fact that you just can't FIND anything. Until it has a final place - it gets moved with each shuffle of the boxes, pallets, and tubs. You are using dozens of tools to work with - none of which has a place to return it to yet. So; what you had yesterday is gone today. The constant feeling of chaos is unsettling.

It will finally subside. As I've spent my life - I'll get back to work before everything is complete - hoping to make up loose ends later. Otherwise, it will never end.

Thanks for reading and commenting. Anxious to send some lead downrange.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 03:16PM by barnespneumatic.
November 11, 2012 01:35AM
Call it lead therapy. smiling smiley
November 11, 2012 02:13AM
That is valid. I have found it so. I also, like all of you ... resist the time it takes to just go shoot and relax. I tend to beat my head on something until it's solved. brick wall I'm certain the relaxing therapy of shooting would be better. When I become good at taking the time I "require" to relax ... I'll probably be 99 ... or if before ... I'll most likely get run over by a garbage truck the next day. eye rolling smiley Keep trying, I guess.

Gary
November 12, 2012 06:08AM
I guess we're gonna have to get a fancier name for it, since it obviously needs to be more frequently prescribed.

Perhaps it could be called "pneumatic chelation therapy", since chelation is the process by which heavy metals are removed from the system.

Wouldn't you know...every time you undergo pneumatic chelation therapy, the lead levels in your shooting range shack decrease by a bit. shooter with bench rifle
November 13, 2012 05:30AM
Sort of just ... "stumbles off the tongue" ... doesn't it?

If I were the guy that had to sign off on the Ad campaign, I'd suggest we give it another couple of days thought first ... More coffee
November 13, 2012 10:05PM
Big bang therapy?
November 13, 2012 11:52PM
Must not work in Jerry's house. He's got all kinds of lead laying about down there.grinning smiley
Anonymous User
November 15, 2012 12:01AM
Nice to see BPS becoming a reality. hope you are feeling better down south.
November 15, 2012 03:51AM
Thanks Don,

You know - I am feeling better down here. Much. I'm working like a horse. Doing much more then I should. At the end of the day I'm exhausted, and I ache. But - I "feel better" much of the time. When I can get to a "normal" routine (that being one that isn't 80% bull labor) I do believe I will be quite content here. There are so many things we will have and use here, that just were not available in Maryland. Let me give you an example:

This is a small town. Very small town. Yet it has soooo many businesses. Within 4 miles of our home, there is a Lowes, Walmart Superstore, Tractor Supply Store, Banks, Medical facilities, beautiful lake, interstate, Tru-Value Store, ALL of the fast food places, many auto parts stores, about a dozen restaurants including Mexican, Chineese, Traditional, Italian, Diners, Hot Dog shops, Fifty's Drive In place ... it goes on and on. Tonight - after we hit "Shrimp Nite" at the Steak and Seafood place ... Kelly said she wanted to check out this shoe store near Walmart. Now - small town - I thought it would have small selection. Wrong! It had EVERYTHING imaginable from Cowboy boots to sandals. Kelly instantly found what she'd been looking for elsewhere. And "I" of the 14/15 shoe size (depending) ... found multiple styles and price ranges to try on. Amazing.

I thought the small place seemed well equiped when we found it ... but we just keep on finding more and more.

Thanks for reading Don. Can't wait to get up and running and get you some steel to shoot.

Gary winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021