Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Got some shop pics ... but first .... (NOW - PICS POSTED)

Got some shop pics ... but first .... (NOW - PICS POSTED)
November 28, 2012 10:46PM
Shrimp Nite!

Be back in a couple of hours .....

$9.95 all you can choke down!

injured

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 03:44AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Got some shop pics ... but first ....
November 29, 2012 03:43AM
OK ... back from Shrimp Nite, Lowes, and WalMart Superstore! Truck unloaded. take a bow

MachineShop.jpg

More benches have been built and tools installed. The shop is coming together. Must do some specific wiring for specific tools, that will require overhead drops.

MachineShop2.jpg

A few tools will be in service which were too crowded out before. One is this great Sanford Surface Grinder with very small tight magnetic chuck for small parts.

Blocks.jpg

Not being able to find tool blocks (which I knew I'd brought down) I made quite a few to house tools. And, right on cue - today; I found ... ah ... a few of them in two boxes. eye rolling smiley

ToolRoom.jpg

One back room will be the "Tool Room". This will house much of the tooling for the machines on the main shop floor.

ToolRoom2.jpg

It will also house the 20 ton press, the 50 ton press, and the pantograph mill. The presses are used for bending, shearing, raising, embossing operations and some die and logo work is done with the pantograph. Unfortunately, the pantograph was pulled over during unloading. Nearly making Kent go by the name "Hop-along". It missed his foot by a milimeter or two. excited Thank God he was OK - but the mill was damaged and must be repaired.

TableSaw.jpg

In the lower Woodshop, the table saw is now in operation. That's useful.

Marshmallows.jpg

On the patio, marshmallows were toasted to perfection the other evening.

DestinSunset.jpg

Couldn't help but snap this sunset on the way home from Destin yesterday evening.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 04:09AM by barnespneumatic.
November 29, 2012 03:51AM
In the second pic - I mention the Sanford Surface Grinder. However: it's not shown much in that pic. It's on the extreme left edge of the pic center. On the third pic - it's center of the pic - Grey color. Great machine I was able to snag early on. Old - but very precise. Hey - just like me! wow hahah.

Gary

Also got a nice 4 tube florscent ceiling light to replace the fan and frilly lights. Need another for the tool room. I'll see how I like this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 03:55AM by barnespneumatic.
November 29, 2012 05:34PM
Gary,

It looks like you have a nice wood floor under those presses. Are you sure those presses won't damage the floor?

Keith
November 30, 2012 01:23AM
Hi Keith.
Yeah, I hate to desecrate the nice room but I need the space. Fortunately, the floors are laminate do it soothes a bit. This room was set up as a home gym when I bought the place. One whole wall is mirror! So; I've always jokingly referred to it as the "Dance Studio". I hope making it into my tool room doesn't nix my chances for Dancing with the Stars! wow
Gary
November 30, 2012 04:57PM
Beautiful sunset indeed. Around here it's grey, almost all the time.Even sadder It's on thing that I do miss about the southwest.

They had a surface grinder in my high school shop class, it was one of the tools that the students almost never got to use. eye rolling smiley

The grinding wheel above zipped back and forth, while the table slowly inched sideways underneath with the work held by a magnetic chuck. They're had to miss when operating in a dim room, with repeated showers of sparks flying off as the wheel "kisses" the high spots. It was a pretty hands-off machine once it was set up and running but you did have to be careful where you stood, as the workpiece would occasionally escape the mag chuck and go flying off across the room.

Could be kinda exciting if you're re-grinding flats on a knife blade, for example.injured
November 30, 2012 06:25PM
We also had one like that at my high school and a couple years later i got to run one to sharpen punch press dies which i used to set up for a company that started me out in the field of metal work. I was at a sale not to long ago and purchased a Brown and Sharp old school surface grinder all manual but very prescise ( with a well dressed wheel). and tore apart the magnet chuck to see if i could clean it out to make it more safe( strong) knowing well that when the north and south poles arc across with shavings they loose the strength caused by the polarity orientation ! what a mess.This vice was about a foot long and about 6in wide with a big lever in front you flip to align the magnets all sealed up but what a chore it turned out to be trying to get it back together with the magnets haveing a mind of their own !!! i still have and occasionally use it for small parts but rely more on my tilty vice for securing .Now that I notice it looks just like the one Gary has in the corner of his shop only mine has about a 4-5ft moving table on it and a large leather belt drive sticking out the back which take up a lot of real estate in my 2 car gar... shop yeh shop

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 09:12PM by kurt wag.
December 01, 2012 12:32AM
Hi Kurt,
Wow - sound like a nice grinder you snagged. The other big one I have I bought from a used machinery place - about 25-30 years ago. It's a Harrig grinder. The spindle is on the motor shaft on that one. This little Sanford model has a flat belt. I'm nursing that one - it's a rubber/fiber belt and the edges are worn. Some day I'll probably have to go in search of a replacement, or make a leather one.
Having the tools it the key. They don't have to be fancy. Surely don't have to be automated. Just heavy, precise, and durable. Old Iron is good stuff.
smileys with beer
Gary
November 30, 2012 12:09AM
Hi Gary,

Is that your shop??? It looks more like an industrial equipment show room. So much brightness that you will need to use some sun glasses.

You have done a lot of work and from this side of the screen it looks like it's ready to start up.

Beautiful sunset picture, just watching it in person must be priceless...

Julio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021