Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got to meet Danny last weekend...

Got to meet Danny last weekend...
December 02, 2012 02:29AM
Danny, who posts here now and then, came up to Christchurch last weekend (he lives about 6 hours away).and we played with quite a few guns and had a great day's shooting, then he had a chance-hunt on the way home...see his post on the Hunting Camp. It was great to meet him after communicating through this site up until now
He gave me his .60 cal on permanent loan, and I am looking forward to some testing over the next few weeks. Here's some pics (which are a bit truncated...I should have resized them I think):
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Cheers
Neil
Re: Got to meet Danny last weekend...
December 02, 2012 03:56AM
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the post. Glad you had a good time. Hope you enjoy the testing of the new gun. Let us hear some specs., and see some targets. Those bunnies over on the hill are gonna just explode into fluff when you get that dialed in! thumbs up

Best,
Gary
December 02, 2012 05:23PM
Neil,

It looks like you could drive a small car into that bore.wow

Lon
December 02, 2012 10:53PM
That is a nice looking cannon! Looks like a lot of fun shooting in your near future, hope you dont wake the neighbors with the CRACK that gun has to make. are you allowed to silence those in NZ at all? I could never figure that out here in the great USA why the restrictions but oh well the sound of power is awsome.CHEERS and have a HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Thanks
Kurt
December 03, 2012 07:05AM
Nice looking rifle, is it a smoothbore?
December 03, 2012 02:53PM
Yeah - I wondered that too. Couldn't see rifling.

Common Neil ... shape up ... we need more specs. laughing
December 03, 2012 06:39PM
Righto, here's some brief info with plenty of testing yet to come...
Shoots 475 grain hollowpoint slugs at around 810-820 fps. It has shallow rifling, Danny did it himself, but I can't recall the twist rate.
I am tuning for 2 good shots and a follow up off a 3500 psi fill.
Kurt, I shoot this beast through my "boom box" (full of baffles) in order to muffle the sound a little for the neighbours sake.
Photobucket
While silencers are legal here I wont be putting one on this beast....
I'll keep you guys posted
Cheers
Neil
December 03, 2012 07:22PM
Thanks Neil,
Shallow rifling will work. winking smiley. I've made them shallow and made them really deep. I've found that they both hang on the wall equally well! whistling
That's a great boom box you have there. Yeah, I wouldn't try to attach that to the muzzle. Mess up the whole lines of the rifle! Good choice. thumbs up
Enjoy.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 07:25PM by barnespneumatic.
December 04, 2012 03:50AM
Hi guy's, The rifling is only about .0015'' deep per each, It's about all I can manage with my limited equipment but seems to do the trick. The pitch is aprox 30'' which is idealy a little short/fast which is why I made hallow point moulds to help bring the GS down and reduce the gyroscopic drift. Kurt, moderators are legal on any gun in this country, a lot of people have them on their hunting rifles to reduce recoil and of course quieten them. I shot a deer with the .60cal 8-10 months ago, my partner wendy was over the other side of the forestry block about 2 miles away and heard the shot plain as day. But I do agree with Garry that the boom box may be a bit much straped on the end of the .60cal
December 04, 2012 09:41AM
well you did a mighty fine job on that gun and I really enjoyed your story on the hunting camp .we get a lot of deer in Michigan here but they are whitetail and I was really amazed at the size of the head on that deer you took !!definitely got some meat for the freezer there thanks for Sharing

Thanks
Kurt
December 05, 2012 03:29AM
It's puzzling how silencers / moderators got such a bad rap here in the U.S.A.

It's like saying that putting a muffler on a car should be illegal, since cars can be used as getaway vehicles for bank robbers.

In a logical world they'd be strongly encouraged, if not outright required, especially for use at shooting ranges near households and urban areas.

Of course, trying to apply logic to the issue of gun regulation is like trying to pin down a greased unicorn.self-hammer
December 06, 2012 03:09AM
Great looking gun. I for one would love to hear it POP!

As for the silencer issue.

The "gun culture" here is very strong and aussie style confiscation would be the tipping point for the tyranny of the left. The rest of the western world is lessened by their bowing to these gun confiscators. Remember no one is responsible for your safety but you. Bob Costas and his ilk be damned.

The rest of the rant will go elsewhere.

Kent
December 06, 2012 10:52PM
Personally, I hope Costas get the boot, and I sent emails to both NBC and the NFL to that effect. His misuse of NFL airtime to advocate the morally bankrupt victimization philosophy of the "limousine liberal" viewpoint was inexcusable. The fact that he does it while hiding behind a covey of armed professional bodyguards is hypocritical even by the arrogant, elitist standards of the liberal media, which is saying something. When it (predictably) backfired on him, the fact that he tried to blame it on the blogger/columnist he quoted as such length (instead of his own bad judgement) is typical of the "throw him under the bus to say your own skin" mentality that pervades the "media elite".

Reprehensible, in all respects, from start to finish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021