Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Beat goes on ...

Beat goes on ...
December 08, 2012 12:27AM
And I'm beat. Working with wiring today. Take down this. Put up that. Insulation here. Suspended ceiling issues there. Run wires where I can't easily reach. Mess, scratch, up the ladder and down the ladder. Hunt this ... Keep hunting this ... Still hunting ... Ah forget it I'll fight that later. Trip to Lowes ... Again.

Just to say I'm on it and it's a cage match.

No encouraging pics today - maybe tomorrow. I'll keep at it. Goal is to be functional here before I have to go North again soon.

Gary
December 08, 2012 03:26PM
Moving is never easy, but yours is epic. I dread the thought of moving and I only have one small house and a shed that I turned into my office.

Keith
December 08, 2012 08:28PM
Hey you know you could still have that auction in Maryland that i was talking about and grab the cash head home to Florida and call it good!! As much as you have already done knowbody would call you a quitter and then you could source steel and start makin shavings.

Thanks
Kurt
December 09, 2012 02:51PM
Hope your trip North is easier on you & over with quickly. All i can say is God Bless You, & i am so Glad my move is over with.!
December 09, 2012 04:24PM
Thank you guys. I appreciate the well wishes.

I don't claim to be really good at this. Just found it all to be "required".

If I could orchestrate an auction of the far-flung and oddball groups of remaining things in Maryland, I'd be happy to go fishing while it was sold. And, I don't even fish. fish Gathering, grouping, transporting, taking inventory, having hundreds of people stomp thru the house in the middle of the winter, etc., etc., etc., is not high on my list of skill sets. My previous exeriences with auctions has been that I would have been money ahead to push the items into a pit. My previous experiences with advertising items has been that I would be money ahead to just give the people the item and a hundred dollar bill and save the time and stress. I realize that most of the readers can declare that auctions, selling on Craig's List and E-Bay has been nothing but an amazing experience filled with joy and the scent of baking pumpkin pies. I seem to live in an alternative universe - I realize and freely admit.

If anyone wishes to bring their skill set and complete these few loose ends ... I'll share most generously with you. PM me. wow

Hope to hear from ya. Green bowing

Gary
December 09, 2012 06:19PM
Gary,

I agree about selling/auctioning unwanted belongings. I hate the aggravation even when it's a few items for decent amounts of money.

I sold a couple of guitars a few years back. People would respond, swear they were on the way with the cash and then get sucked into a cosmic blackhole on the way over. not lookin' good Then some would ask a thousand questions, demand I disassemble tuning machines to verify the worm gears were all in pristine condition, and then declare that it was the wrong color.brick wall

Now, I keep what I want, may sell a few valuable items, give some away and dump the rest.singing

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2012 06:20PM by Bigbore.
December 09, 2012 07:51PM
Lon,
Got your PM dude.
I agree - antiques roadshow is the key. More coffee. I'll have everything in the trailer when you arrive. We'll hit Memphis and then Seattle. Can't miss!
Gary

this is humor.
December 09, 2012 08:59PM
I cant even imagine having running a business or two or three plus a house hold and raise a family out of an old victorian house and then having to move half way across the country by yourself with everything accumulated over how many years? I can only compare to what i know and to have a living estate sale where they come and take all the good things that i wont have room for any ways or maybe need to up grade but cant seem to throw away or give away or spend the money.... and move off site take say 30% or more ( what i have heard) and have a sale(auction) hand me a check and save me a bunch of loading and unloading and transporting for things i will have to tend to later anyways seems like the way for me!! For quite a few years i bought or picked up out of the junk lawnmowers and cars and repaired them on the side for extra cash and loved to do the work but after it was all said and done i still had to sell via news paper, item and let me tell ya i have had my share of IDIOTS come to my house and himhaw over lawnmowers and even let them cut my whole yard (acre) and then tell me they would think about it never to return. The work was the easy part .Selling not so easy You are a much more organized than i am and something i never seem to be able to do is get rid of things i might need in the near future say 20-30 years hehehaha .. . I'm just saying seems like a waste of talent all that packing and shipping but then again you know what they say.... If you want it done rite

Thanks
Kurt
December 10, 2012 01:44AM
Hi Kurt,

I appreciate the thoughts. I would sure like "simple". If I could hook up with someone who'd come "take" the stuff and didn't feel it would sell for pennies, that'd be nice.

I had a 52 Willys Overland Wagon. Was a basket case I bought for $200 with locked up engine, bad everything. I bought a Toyota Celica wreck and put the little 1.6 HEMI and 5 speed in the Willys. Was a great match and fun wagon for about six years. I went to sell it. Guy shows up and starts questioning the tires. One guy wanted to know if it would be good to send his Son to college in. It's 60 years old for crap sake. People are idiots. Guy came to the house once for an original pedestal sink for chump change. Guy was intent upon beating down my price just as a game. He couldn't believe when I told him I'd just let it set rather then accept, and we were done. It's still sitting there. It can go with the house. hahah. Too many people have nothing to do but waste your time. I had an old Merc sedan I was just about giving away. Guy and his kid came to see it. While he thought I didn't see/hear, the guy showed his kid that one fender had been repainted a decade or more ago. It was 30+ years old for chump change. I never claimed it was Concours.

I just don't have the patience for the yard sailors. But - never fear - I'm not going to get locked into wasting a bunch of time trying to get top dollar for everything there. So; guess I'll be giving alot away. Maybe I'll just wrap stuff and leave it on people's porches! nowthatIthink

Haha.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 02:23AM by barnespneumatic.
December 10, 2012 04:42AM
Gary,

One last comment.

I sold my guitars and an affects pedal on Craigslist. At first, I would give a great price and refuse to deal. It NEVER worked. EVERYBODY wants a little off or they won't buy it. If you want $75 for an item, ask $100. Its just the way it works smoothest.

Lon
December 10, 2012 05:49PM
People are funny that way, when it comes to buying an item their expectations can be TOTALLY different depending on the venue. The same pair of jeans that sells for $100 at the mall might sit forever with a $10 price tag at the thrift store. A piece of furniture that would be a "bargain" at $500 in an antique shop won't get a single reply on Craigslist when listed at $50. People at garage sales aren't happy at 95% off retail, they want the whole box of (whatever it is) for a dollar, and there's no price too low if they show up early. On the other hand, people also place insane values on some things that are demonstrably garbage (IMHO most "modern art" falls squarely into this category). Some people don't even blink paying more for a new car than I paid for my first house. For that matter, there's some old muscle cars out there that sell at auction for more than all the houses I've ever bought...combined! And most of those you couldn't hardly give away in the mid '80s...go figure.

After watching a few of those "storage wars" programs on TV, I'm beginning to think that the best way to get rid of your old stuff is to run a mini-storage place. Pile your old junk in a dozen lockers, strategically salt a few (mostly empty) toolboxes and antique-looking items where you can just barely seem them, and auction them off as abandoned. It's gotta be cheaper than hauling the stuff off to the dump yourself.laughing again
December 10, 2012 10:58PM
That's a good idea Sean ... except ... have you PRICED toolboxes? WOW excited And that's the cheap ones with the grinder drawer slides. You talk ball bearings and you are waaay up there. You go STAINLESS and you are in crazy numbers. You'd have to store your Rolex collection in a nice head high stainless ball bearing unit! Of course ... it WILL come with cup holders - two or three radios - maybe a mini fridge - and a bunch of lights.

Abandoning the stuff in a storage locker though has merit. nowthatIthink

hahah

GAry
December 12, 2012 07:21PM
Yeah, those roll-away toolboxes are very pricey. I've wanted one for years, but somehow I always seem to end up buying the tools instead. grinning smiley

Even the prettiest, high-end stainless roll-away toolbox with glass-smooth drawer glides and fancy locking system still won't fix the sink like a rusty old pipe wench will.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 11:47PM by rotorhead.
December 12, 2012 07:44PM
its a funny old world really ,,, my gran used to say
every ones queer , ,,,, except for thee and mee ,
but even thees a wee bit funny ....
December 12, 2012 11:45PM
Ah ... imagine .... and Old Irish Gran ... in Ireland! Some people have it all. heheh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021