Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barnes Shoots Back! shooter with bench rifle

Barnes Shoots Back! shooter with bench rifle
December 28, 2012 10:55PM
On any given day, around here; you can hear someone shooting. Just for a while. Mostly they like the Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang ...Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang- type of shooting. I guess until they shoot up $30-50 in shells. Then it's over. And it's pretty much all points of the compass. So; I figured I could shoot some. Even though my range isn't complete.

I dug out all the gear. And got out the Yukon Orion 62. I don't THINK I have shot this since I took it to Texas. That's been just over a year ago.

I found that it was full of air. I had to look up the exact size for my slugs. I found two types - and the sizing dies for them. I wasn't sure of the firing psi - so I just settled on 2,800 for some pot shots. I had a 477 grain slug and a 620 grain slug. My backer wasn't finished. Hummmmm

Well, I recalled a steel 55 gal. barrel I had, with the top open. Hey - that will do! I got the tractor and took the thing out and put it in front of some trees. So happens I picked exactly 80 yards. I used the bucket to scoop up some dirt/sand. It's what they call dirt here - it's dirty sand. I used a shovel to direct the project and overfilled the drum pretty quick. Sprayed on a target ...

barrel.jpg

The scope was in another box. Found same. Attached it. Tried to deciper the endless notes on the target wheel on three levels. Gosh - WHO did this? haaha. I picked what I thought was about 75 yards. That's about what I thought the drum was setting at. I shot from inside my shooting shed, and thru the window. I rested a leather bench bag on the window sill, and held the back of the rifle against my shoulder. BANG!!!!!!

Hey - I hit the barrel! I mean - of COURSE I hit the barrel. Guessing on the size of the slug for this first round (it was a bit small) - grabbed scope from case and wasn't sure of the fill pressure. Not bad for hand held with that year old air in there hahah. And .. the Sun was in my Eyes! hahaha. Nah ... I'm kidding.

OK - I got a group. Left and low. I should have used one mil dot under for this. The left drift was ... whatever.

I took four of the 620 grains. Used one as a sighter - with one mil dot. That's good.

Gary@80.jpg

Then I shot this. Same position - holding.

Dinner. Back in a bit.

The rest of the pics are working on the welding shop ....
barrel@80.jpg
cleaning_weld_table_legs.jpg
Curly_grinding.jpg
HeadStand.jpg
tack_welding.jpg
welding.jpg
December 29, 2012 12:04AM
You go Gary a little bit of kersplat is good for the soul. those are some pretty big holes in that drum!!! Also did you have miss Kelly stand out side to check the decibals on that new buffering wall ? I have to think that is going to work great once you get the back stop up i think it would direct all the sound in an upward direction that is what ever isnt absorbed and defused by the pine nuggets. I know when ever i get a new gun i step out back to crack off a couple rounds and the first thing i do when i get in the house is ask Diane (my wife) did you hear that?? If she says hear what i could only think people out side might hear it but not those in the nearby houses. I really like the BOOM box idea that i read about on previous post. I will be making one of those for this summer for sure !

Thanks
Kurt
December 29, 2012 02:44AM
Hi Kurt,

I enjoyed letting a few round fly. Yes - big holes! Wait til I have an 87 to test fire!!! hahahah.

I did a phone check with Kelly at the house. Now - the WALL is NOT between the house and shed - so that wasn't being checked. The WALL is only mainly for the house or two off to the North of the Shoot Shak. Those are closer to the property line down there.

Kelly said she could hear the gun, at the house. I asked her if she could describe the sound. She said it sounded like a real "Crisp Crack". And, within that split second - there seemed to be a build up. That's what she could put into words. I asked her if she could describe the difference between what she heard with my 62 Orion PCP and what she heard when the neighbor was shooting recently. I had taken those shots to be from a 45 Semi-auto pistol, then a 9mm Semi-Auto, then a 22 Semi-Auto. Clearly the 45 was loudest - and it's not that far away - behind the house - in some wooded acres there. She mimmicked that sound as a more "Hollow Pop, Pop, Pop" sound. We will get more scientific as time goes on.

Today, I wasn't real worried about the noise. There has been so much shooting recently (Holiday break time - family and buds off work, etc., I guess); but so much shooting I was sure I wouldn't stand out and it's fine for folks to know I shoot too.

I think I will incorporate a boom box as well. When I test, as part of my build - I don't want to have any nervousness about shooting. I want to concentrate. So; seems to me more stealth is better for my sense of things.

Now Kurt - I you make your boom box large enough - you could put a bench and a heater in there - and you would not have to wait until Spring! hahahah.

Gary
December 29, 2012 01:42AM
Gary,

I was wondering if you sound checked too.

Man, if you baked a cake that tractor would be in the picture doing something?

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2012 03:24AM by Bigbore.
December 29, 2012 02:47AM
Hi Lon,

You bet. That tractor keep on giving. That welding table probably weighs 400 pounds. Slinging it from the forks with a light chain made it soooo simple to do this wheel welding operation.

It's simply a wonderful tool. That was my Christmas present for the rest of my life. hahaha.

Gary
December 29, 2012 02:58AM
In the pics, you see the welding table - project build table - suspended from the bucket forks.

I use a small grinder to clean up the edges of the heavy angle iron frame - to make a good weld ground.

I use a large grinder to make sure the bottoms are flat - with no nubs.

I then tack weld the wheel assembly base plate to the angle iron legs. I close my eyes for the brief spark while I tack them on. Tacking just means to weld a spot of two which is enough to hold the parts in registry.

I then use a welding mask to protect my eyes, and I weld the base plate permenantly to the legs.

These wheels are a cast iron/steel wheel with a wide tread. The tread surface is smooth. All the wheels swivel so the bench can be moved in any direction. These are 4" wheels. Each assembly is rated at 700 pounds. The swivel plates rotate on a race of ball bearings. They work well, and the table is very easy to move. I'll keep some cut offs of steel under it on a suspended rack. You see the down angle irons. I will weld a termination angle iron or something - maybe even expanded pierced steel if I found some for a decent price. I need to find the salvage yard around here. There has to be one.

Never let your wife take pics of you. Especially if you are a bit long in the tooth and folically challanged. whistling hahaha

The green tool is a 4' metal Brake I build 5-92. I know because I welded the letters Barnes 5-92 on the front like you do to letter a ship. winking smiley It works great. Anything and everything on wheels - that's the ticket to a happy shop.

You see the power hammer - disassembled and stacked, off stage right. That will be the elephant in the room for some time to come.

Gary
December 29, 2012 08:06PM
That looks like fun! Good shooting, from standing!
I am very jealous, you in a t-shirt and we are in parkas up here (Canada).

Pedro
December 29, 2012 11:41PM
Hi Pedro,

You bet. It's cold here too. winking smiley. I have to slip on a Walmart hooded sweatshirt from time to time!!! Snowman. Usually its not long and I have to come back out of it. Haha.

Gary
December 29, 2012 09:35PM
Hi Gary,

I'm glad to see that you are using your new range. Evidently you had a flyer in that group... that's ok, we're not perfect...LOL!

Congratulations for all the work done in the shop and for finding some time to shoot the Yukon Orion .62. If this is a preview of what we are going to be seeing on 2013, WOW! going forward, this is going to be great!!!!

Happy Holidays,

Julio
December 30, 2012 04:45AM
Thanks Julio,

It's moving along. Slower then I'd like - but required to have an organized shop where I can concentrate on the project rather then hunting tools.

thumbs up

Gary
December 30, 2012 12:15PM
Good to see you punching holes in things made of metal! My new range is nice and close but allows paper targets only . . . I miss New Windsor! shooter

-- Jim
January 01, 2013 04:22AM
Wonderful progress there! I've got a feeling that the power hammer won't be on wheels though! I'm happy not to read that there was a wire feed problem to be fixed before the last welding job...
January 01, 2013 03:00PM
Nah. It worked. Did have to change out the spool of wire though winking smiley

You don't think the power hammer would be nice on a dolly? Haha. It's only 13 feet tall. Haha. Maybe I can bolt it to a creeper and not have to make a base! wow

I once saw my father split a tractor apart to replace a clutch or something. One end was blocked up on some made up support. The other end rested FIRMLY upon a wooden creeper - circa approx. 1965 - and the two multi-ton units were thus ROLLED apart. This on a gravel floor with perhaps cardboard or a pc. of plywood laid down. And ... It worked. Nobody died in the attempt. Gee - safety precautions are soooo over rated. Haha. NOT.
January 02, 2013 02:14AM
Good to see you are out shooting. I'm sure your neighbors are fine with your shooting. FYI, Here in the South, we exercise our rights and are happy to hear others doing the same at appropriate times. In Florida as long as you are not shooting onto someone elses property or endangering life or property you are within the law. That's with firearms, and it doesn't appear to have any laws for airguns. Even local governments can't preempt the state law.

[thefiringline.com]

As you will recall, depending on which way the wind is blowing, it was impossible to hear most shots from the woods walk, even in the outdoors areas. Now firearms are a different animal and seems to carry much farther than even the largest bigbore.

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2013 02:16AM by Cajun Justice.
Anonymous User
January 13, 2013 11:34PM
Some people have too much brain power and it will push the hair right out of yer head!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021